8-Bit Orbling

Discussion in 'Levels & Bosses' started by Neofalcon, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Active Member

So, a lot of people seem to be struggling with this new boss. I, too, thought it was impossible at first, but I tried a few team comps and once I figured it out, it turned out to be pretty easy and fast, with not too much required. I tried to upload a video, but Lobi seems to be broken or something, so I'm gonna try to explain my strat and maybe see if I can upload some screenshots later.

Here's a video of me doing the run:

My team (in order):
    Ami ^
    Gego ^
    Cami ^ with Cami O otomo (super important)
    Lewto ^
    Odin ^
    Ma'curi

The general strategy is as follows: Use Cami ^ as your mover, because she is immune to the kinetic traps. The people she swaps with DO take damage, however, so what you need to do is focus on making double pincers with Ami ^ in them. Your team will take a lot of damage, but even if you just ignore the traps as I do they won't outright die, just be on super low hp, and then Ami^'s heal all with a double pincer will heal them to full. You just need to make sure you're double pincering on the right side each time, as the boss alternates between row and column attacks, and if you start a turn with any of your characters damage, then they WILL die when they touch traps.

The boss uses Sever (all) once he gets low on hp (I think it's like 20% or something). You need to burst him to dead from above this using a double pincer and a PP. However, even if you don't and he does this once it's not the end of the world. This happens to me all the time and usually just Gego^. Just carefully make a pincer with Cami^ and Macuri and it should be enough to finish off the boss.

Here's a play-by-play of how a usual run goes:
    Turn 1:
    I use Cami ^ to make a pincer with her and Gego on the top right add, also using cami to line up the 3 chars in the bottom right corner so they're in the chain. This won't kill the add, but it does damage it.

Turn 2:
    Make a pincer on one or both of the adds, with Ami ^ in the chain for at least one, but ideally both. It's OK if Ami and/or Cami are positioned such that they get hit by the bosses attack this round - Cami doesn't take any trap damage, and Ami^ can stay way out towards the side in a chain anyways.

Turn 3: Finish off the remaining add if it's alive, or go to turn 4:

Turn 4: First double pincer on boss, making sure Ami^ is in chain for both

Turn 5: Second double pincer, have to make sure that PP is not in the chain or it will reduce boss to sub 20%

Turn 6: Third double pincer with PP, boss dies

At some point the runner will spawn, and you need to make sure that the Z mage is in a chain and the runner will get hit by it. I generally have no trouble killing it.

Hopefully this guide helps you guys out - all you really need is 1 char immune to the traps and a healer. Gegeo^ just makes things easier by giving you more time to move, and the Z mage just makes killing the runner easy. Macuri and Odin ^ are just damage, and can be replaced with any other spear dps that you have.

EDIT: Some more tips for you guys:
    • It's helpful to put healing buddies on characters other than ma'curi - the extra healing helps a TON, especially if you don't have Ami^ there to heal for you
    • Ma'curi should probably have a damage otomo equipped though, as he's going to be the one bursting the boss from half health to dead in one turn
    • Tap characters can be brought if you want to make it easier to burst down the boss past his "Sever: All" Phase
    • Remember that the usual "Strikes Back" damage rules apply to this boss too - Non-spear damage is reduced by 90%, so celestial envoys and the like are useless - spear attack otomos or Skullsplitters are the way to go
    • If the boss is at all damaged when one of the "Gorf" enemies takes their turn, they will heal the boss instead of attacking. This means that if you only have one of them still alive or the boss is sufficiently damaged, they won't damage anyone on their turns

Good Luck guys!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Sadok, claude, Ph B and 2 others like this.
  2. pak

pak New Member

Just want to add, i use the same team formation but with Regen on Gegoz and Amiz (rRegen Cane). With this you can ignore the Sever row and columns and keep you units topped off and in formation for pincers. I only do Side pincers all game and it takes around 3 turns for kill. Cheers.

Video attached for easier reference:
    https://play.lobi.co/video/64b4ab28a06336a6ec458760093463151815c674

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    claude and Tharos like this.
  3. limitbereaker

limitbereaker Active Member

My formation
    Gegoz healing
    Peyma healing
    Cam camo
    Gatz healing
    Mac ce
    Edglow healing

2 turn kill with 6 tap buff and 3 tap debuff.
    Healing otomo for lack of healers
    Gatz over other tap units for his aoe dmg to deal with runners

claude likes this.
  4. velbonhaha

velbonhaha Active Member

I just finished a battle where 3 metal runners appeared at once. Not sure what is the max limit number of them. Imagine 5 of them you get 600 bones in one battle:clown:

claude likes this.
  5. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Active Member

Yup, that happened to me once too. They all dropped 100 items, so I got a ton of animata items from one run. Pretty sick!

6. derposed

derposed Well-Known Member

Apparently the orbling himself is a luck drop, not a standard capturable. I was wondering why I was getting nothing even with double neg pro.

Screenshot_2016-08-25-23-12-31.png

7. memetichazard

memetichazard Member

Medals:
    Neofalcon's team worked for me... after a bit of rearrangement.
    Lewto^ Macuri Cam^ Odin^ Ami^ Gego^.
    With this setup I start off by dragging Lewto and Macuri safely to the right, nudge Odin to the left, and pincer with Cam^ against Macuri to kill the Gorf. With that one removed I can completely ignore the other one for the most part and focus on setting up pincers. Although I do have a Rune equipped on Macuri, which could be making the difference between killing it and not.

I've since replaced Odin with Gatz, for the tap and more redundancy in my ability to hit the runner.

8. tieuzbao

tieuzbao Active Member

Anyone else tried this without GegoZ in the lineup?

My lineup can't seem to stay alive long enough to deal enough damage.

SamZ (ce)
    KokoZ (ce)
    JennZ (sorcerer shield)
    AmiZ
    Mac (ce)
    CamiZ (cam o)

Thinking about putting some healing wands on the three spears to see if that helps. And maybe sub in PalpaZ for some augmented d...but it's the trying to survive the stupid traps that kills me.

9. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

10. zetafunction

zetafunction Member

I'm doing this without Gego^.

My roster is:
    Olber^
    Zerro^
    Palpa^
    Andelucia
    Camellia^
    Kraken^

I think the only requirements here are Camellia^, Kraken^, and Palpa^. Cam and Kraken are obvious, and Palpa's CT+2 is actually helpful for whoever you're moving with.
    The other three are optional, but mostly for quality of life:
    - Olber^ helps keep the group healthy (I usually try to stack Camellia^, Kraken^, and Palpa^ across from him)
    - Andelucia is completely optional and could be replaced with Ma'curi
    - Zerro^ is just for runners and can be replaced with the mage of your choice.

11. zetafunction

zetafunction Member

Also, the key is to move as fast as you can: there's a short delay where the colliders can't redamage your characters, so if you move quickly enough, you can double pincer the orbling almost every turn after the Gorfs are dead.

12. Domivi

Domivi Active Member

Just because I am annoyed by kinetic traps, I think I'll be going for one turn kills whenever possible. I'll try and see if it's possible waiting a lot of turns for runners to spawn, but I guess that depends on rng. Hopefully we'll find a consistent first turn as well, which guarantees the orbling's movement.

13. Wiitard

Wiitard Member

Not sure if it is known yet but there is a chance for 2 runners to spawn, I just got 327 for a single run, I can't upload the pic keeps saying to large

supergaijin likes this.
  14. Cannibox

Cannibox New Member

Ohhhhh....this event is my undoing...
    Cam O was the only companion I didn't get around to getting...I have no kinetic trap protection....

15. zetafunction

zetafunction Member

Yes, it's usually 1, but up to three can spawn. It's nice when that happens, though I'm not sure what the chances are.

16. KRIS

KRIS Member

My play

tobsy likes this.
  17. Domivi

Domivi Active Member

One of the kino monsters had kinetic trap ward, I think it was Kraken? Did you get it by any chance?

18. Wiitard

Wiitard Member

I use kraken with a white orbling, works well,

I also just got the 8 bit orbling ^ from a luck chest

19. limitbereaker

limitbereaker Active Member

So what's the luck average to drop orbling?

20. freelame

freelame Active Member