Battle Champs Third Event - Fearsome Fiends!

Discussion in 'Levels & Bosses' started by Todd, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

To trigger the most difficult (and most lucrative) path for this week, you must bring a spear unit level 80+

There is no speed/turn requirement this week

If you bring a 80+ spear unit, then on the second floor a unit will appear near the top that says "I hate spears..." Kill this unit or else it flees.

The boss is ice element and is a bit stronger than previous bosses.
    For first turn he will send a message "Beware X" where X is a quadrant of the battlefield, like upper left or lower right. The boss is going to move to that area and cast an area 2 ice spell that can kill most characters (a few z-class are strong enough to weather it).

After that the boss will cast a lateral ice attack each turn and then occasionally project a new quadrant that he will hit with his more powerful area attack.

There is an HP threshold (somewhere around 20-25%) where he will cast blizzard, dealing heavy ice damage to your team.

Initially I was setting up triple pincer on the boss but this ended poorly for me as I couldn't outright kill boss and then he wiped out some characters with icicle attack and then the rest (if I couldn't kill second turn) with blizzard. Things are much easier now by setting up IN THE MIDDLE AREA so as to dodge his initial icicle attack, and then work him down more steadily until a burst finish when he's closer to his low HP threshold.

Also note that the smaller accompanying dragon thing casts icebind area 1.

Rewards include yukken or maverick otomos. For Nia recode, boss and luck chests may give white essence. Rascal drops from higher luck chests (I've seen in 80 chest), I don't know about negotiator in the encounter.

My 100 luck team is seiryu equipped with zack, Shin'en with staff of Apollo, camellia^ with skullsplitter, lich^ with wwwand, bahamut^ with z dragon, suoh^ with rune.

What else is important to know?

cjguitarman and tieuzbao like this.
  2. Tempoltone

Tempoltone Member

job3 mat drops from this weeks' BC boss and from BC1 D, L80 / BC2's C, D and L80 chests

3. solution9

solution9 New Member

I got rascal from the C chest a couple times

4. atre324

atre324 Active Member

Easily doable with a 100L squad. As has been said, you need to kill the mouse on turn 2 for route 2, but don't end turn 2 with units in the top 3 rows or you'll likely die to icicle.

5. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

The purpose of this guide is mainly for the PoFoF L100 team. Non PoFoF teams are generally far stronger and will have a significantly easier time with the boss.

Notes

• Dungeon enemies and the boss are mostly ice-based so Bahamut^ will be a good choice if you got him to 100 luck. Physical and and none-fire magic resistance are somewhat higher than the previous events.
    • The boss drops hundreds of Animata TP items per kill. Route A nets you 200+ Animata and Route B nets you 500+.
    • Nia J1 is a guaranteed drop on the first clear and 30% each clear after for BC II and 10% for BC I. Negotiator is NOT effective.
    • Maverick* drops with a 70% probability while Yukken is 30%. You can only have 2 Yukkens total so sell (50k each) or fuse them. One or the other will always drop.
    • Rascal* can be recruited with a 10% probability from BC II which can be increased with with Negotiator skills. As it is not a ^ luck will not increase with subsequent recruitments.
    • White Essence drops with a 30% probability and has a chance of dropping in the d and l80 chests.
    • Ice shields are highly recommended and most likely required if you plan on using the PoFoF l100. Blizzard will kill even Suoh^ and Camillia^ without any type of ice resistance.
    Routes
    Route B is generated if you have a lv 80 spear unit in battle two and kill Ratty* before it runs away on turn 2. If Ratty* runs away you are sent to route A for the final battle. Failing to bring a lv 80 Spear user also results in Route A.

Boss: Dire-Fange
    Dire-Fang differs from the previous two bosses in that he's actually quite difficult even with a normal team. The trick is to know his pattern and how to react to his messages and to have some ice resistance. For starters, all allies should start the battle in the bottom of the screen prior to clearing battle 2. It's very tempting to just clear battle 2 in a single turn because the enemies are lined up perfectly, but doing so will trap at least 1 player in the top area for the start of battle 3 which may result in them dying on turn 2 if RNG is not on your side. The boss comes with 2 Frost Dragons, a Frost Dragon* and a Ratty*. The Frost Dragon casts Icebind, Area (1) and should be prioritized. On turn 1 Dire-fang will send out a message "Caution: Area" and begin charging. On the next turn Dire-Fang will move to the announced area on the board and cast Icicle, area (2) which will almost certainly kill all but Jaguna and maybe Seiryu if you have no ice resistance. The problem is that the area designated seems to be random so Dire-Fang could go bottom-right or stay up top. For this reason you're better off starting your characters near the bottom and ignoring the adds on turn 1 to save yourself from icicle. After Icicle is cast Dire-Fang will use Glacier, 1 row for two turns before charging up for another Icicle. Killing the adds during this two turn phase is crucial to give yourself space to move for subsequent Icicles. You should prioritize killing the Frost Dragon as it will inflict Icebind on allies. This pattern repeats until Dire-Fang reaches about 30% at which point it will remove all fire resistances, summon another Frost Dragon* with a 2 turn timer and then charge up for Blizzard. Blizzard is a serious threat - it will hit harder than Icicle and hit everyone on the screen. A double pincer with Ice Shields is the only way the PoFoF team is going to survive so make sure you double pincer the boss. If you have Bahamut^ (or any high rank fire mage) you can actually kill the boss easily without it ever getting a chance to start casting Blizzard.

Extra: It might be best to ignore the L100 chest on this one and stick with a l80 team by incorporating Lewto, Daiana, Koko, Bahamut or any other powerful fire mage. I've confirmed that even a single fire user like Bahamut^ can kill the boss very quickly and a double pincer can easily push past Blizzard and outright kill Dire-Fang from around 40-50% health bypassing the need for Ice Capsules altogether.

BC II Chests
    a - Animata x20, Coins x50
    b - Animata x40, Coins x50
    c - Coins x100, Rascal*, White Essence
    d - Animata x450, White Essence
    L80 - MM, MM^, Rascal*, White Essence
    L100 - MM, MM^, Nia, Nia O II

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    cjguitarman, doodootron and tieuzbao like this.
  6. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    Merged the 2 threads about this week's Battle Champs Collaboration Event in one.

Sorry @LegendaryFrog , you were 8 minutes late...

EDIT: also added the name of the event, "Fearsome Fiends!", to the title of the thread.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Todd likes this.
  7. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

No problem. I had a rough day at work so I passed out today. I didn't see anything up so I started working on it.

Silver Mitsuki likes this.
  8. Zeroelcapo

Zeroelcapo Active Member

Boss is easy if you bring Shinen + Physical tapper (or 2 tappers) and BahlS + SSnaip, just "leave one monster alive" on floor 2 and setup your 4 best phys characters all around next floor boss (Bahl and Snaip on top pincer), then pincer the "survivor monster" with your 2 characters left, next floor, all taps, PP triple pincer and 1 turn kill ;)

Floor 2
    [​IMG]
    Floor part 2
    [​IMG]
    Floor 3
    [​IMG]

cjguitarman, Terra-Em and tieuzbao like this.
  9. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Or for 100 luck farming, seeing how my (and probably most peoples') 100 luck team is not strong enough to outright kill him, my setup is to cluster my characters in the center of the screen so that I can avoid the initial icicle area.

10. Mercuric Drake

Mercuric Drake New Member

Either I was really lucky or negotiator works to capture rascal. I was 2/2 on rascals once I added Rikken to my group.

11. FishInTheDark

FishInTheDark Forum Event Manager Staff Member

What's the difference between the two routes in terms of drops? I think I was able to get Rascal on both routes as well as an ice essence.

12. Djoss

Djoss Active Member

Mostly the number of Animata items that will drop. Like, approx. 100% more on Route B.

FishInTheDark likes this.
  13. Tharos

Tharos The Source Explorer

Medals:
    It's all on the 4.3 thread, first message ;)
    The job item drops in all difficulties/route
    Rascal can be captured on the 15-stamina difficulty, no matter which route
    The otomos can only drop on route B

And Mana stone, the recode item (for next week, as it does not drop in week 3) drops only on 15-stamina difficulty, but on the two routes, same as Rascal.

FishInTheDark likes this.
  14. MIAtrix

MIAtrix New Member

I tackled this event blind last night not knowing what to look expect. When I got to Dire Fang, I knew that attack was coming after peeking at his stats and attacks, but had no idea it would pack such a wallop. Wiped out half of my party, but luckily I was left with Koko, Amazora, and Baha Z. That was more than enough firepower to take out the boss in 4 turns.

Koko was key to being able to maneuver the party away from the Icicle attack. I suppose bringing GegoZ wouldn't hurt just in case a party member gets pinned in a corner. Don't have a 100L team, so I'm just gonna farm him with a team of Baha Z, Koko Z, Amazora Z, GegoZ, and 2 more attackers.

15. Ryden

Ryden Active Member

I'm using
    LewtoZ, Koko Z and BahaZ for firepower (literally), Gatz and AlikaZ for TH and Zam für Negotiator and because I'm too lazy to switch her out.

If Baha and Lewto equip their Ice shields (40% res), they are able to survive the Icicle attack easier, with 1 (Lewto) and 2 (Baha) Capsule activations. Alika with her MDef Boosts and Zam also survive it without any Capsules.

16. atre324

atre324 Active Member

I'm pretty sure you can tell what route you're on in II based on the position of the Frost Dragons in turn 3. If they are in the 3rd row (effectively boxing your top row chars in next to the boss) then you're on Route B. If they're in the 4th row, then you're on Route A.

17. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

If you aren't trying with a 100L team then the way to beat all the route 2 bosses from the different events is basically taps if you have them. If you set up stage 2 properly you can just tap twice and kill the boss before he has a chance to attack. It's boring but makes farming way easier unless you are aiming for the luck boxes.

Peyrna for taps
    Gatz^ for taps and TH
    Koko^ for damage and CT+4
    Bahamut^ for getting rid of mobs
    Jaguna^ because she has 100L
    Alika for TH

18. Weird D

Weird D Active Member

Random question : does the Yukken Otomo always drop as long as you don't have it in your inventory? Because at 50k coins, it's probably the best way to advance / clear PoFoF.

19. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

30% chance to drop so long as you have less than 2 currently in inventory.

20. freelame

freelame Active Member

image.jpg Got Sun Spirit from 2x10 pull. Now I'm killing the boss even before blizzard.

doodootron likes this.