[Help Request] Squad Overhaul and General Questions!

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Kovaelin, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kovaelin

Kovaelin Member

UPDATE #1 (January 2017): So, I've made it a little further in the story. I was stuck on Chapter 34-4 for a while (there was quite a jump in difficulty after Part I), so I shifted focus to events and adding some more adventurers to my roster. After a while, I found it much easier to make story progress again, but some of the more difficult routes in the Arena events are now giving me trouble.

If anybody has any advice to share or just want to take a look at my new adventurers, please feel free to share down below.

Thanks again!

----------

I recently finished Part 1 of the story, and I'm now trying to take a more careful look at my squad(s) moving forward from here.

My roster has some decent variation now, and I was wondering if people here would be willing to help me out.

- What do you think about my current team?
    - Are there any major gaps that I should be filling in?
    - Would you suggest that I try to obtain a specific character?

Assessments and recommendations are appreciated! Thank you! :greet:

Current main squad being considered:
    1 - Bahl
    Sword; part of the "trinity".

2 - S'naip
    Bow; part of the "trinity". I also have Metupí, but I haven't used him much.

3 - Bajanna
    Spear; new recruit. I'm not sure if I should go with her or Sh'berdan Λ. Sh'berdan is a recode, but only an S class, while Bajanna is an SS class. I'm not really sure how to compare their stats and skills, as they're pretty different. I kind of like Sh'berdan's AOE skills, but Bajanna has Teraspear and some additional utility later on.

4 - Calista
    Healer; new recruit. I'm not sure if I should be subbing her in for Kuscah. I was curious to see how she would be able to handle keeping the others and herself alive. I'm also considering subbing in Amina instead, to train her up and get ready for recoding. That might be a while off though, even if I have all her jobs unlocked.

5- Bahamut
    Mage; new recruit. Just got him this morning, and I'm debating between Bahamut and Seiryu. I also have Gegonago, but I haven't really been using him to see if he fits in for anything specific or if he's generally liked by people. Maybe, he's good? I was actually using A'merpact up until ice enemies started to appear and absorb his attacks. What elements should I focus on/avoid after Chapter 32?

6- Gatz
    Utility; levitation, bomb removal (will this remove my own bombs, if I use Bajanna?), panacea, and treasure hunter! Gatz is pretty much the only one I'm confident will be staying in my squad for a while.

Elemental squad (mostly for Pudding Time):
    1- Maralme
    2- Seiryu
    3- Bahamut (maybe I should keep one healer?)
    4- A'merpact
    5- O'pari
    6- Ba'gunar

Dragon squad
    1- Grace
    2- Maralme
    3- Seiryu/Bahamut?
    4- Amina? (she seems to heal the most out of everyone, even if she doesn't have Heal All)
    5- Bahl*
    6- S'naip*
    *Considering substituting Bahl and S'naip in favour of having both Seiryu and Bahamut, and also adding A'merpact.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

Amina is going to be your go-to healer in the future (her recode gives her Heal, All and makes her one of the two best healers in the game, with A'misandra^). I would say Amina is better than Calista (more powerful healing, Control Time +2), but is tougher to level up/change jobs with, obviously.

Bahl and S'naip are two of the best physical DPS units in the game, and now that S'naip has a recode, he's even more dominant (obviously you won't be able to recode him yet, but keep that in mind).

Bahamut is one of the best mages in the game when fully leveled/recoded, but if you only have him in his first job, I'd leave him alone for the time being (especially since, unlike Seiryu, you can't get his J2 and J3 without beating the other descends). If you can open all 3 jobs for Seiryu, he's AWESOME for Metal Zone 6, but average aside from that. Honestly, A'merpact is a really good go-to if you can't get Bahamut to job 3, and A'merpact will help you beat Bahamuts descends in the future (ice destroys him).

Definitely throw Gatz on your team; treasure hunter is really useful, and his recode is almost essential for tackling some of the endgame content if you don't have the newer characters (I don't, and am jealous of your Gatz). He + Palpa^ are typically the go-to for people without the aforementioned new Zs.

Finally, Gegonago is phenomenal. By himself he's very helpful if you have an extra space in your squad (his Control Time stacks, so you can proc it multiple times per turn), but once he's recoded, he becomes one of the most universally useful units in the game (the skill Stealth is almost game-breaking). There's a reason he's on the top of almost everyone's "must have" list if they don't already have him.

Those are my thoughts about your best characters; depending on what level/job you have everyone at, that'll change what your squad looks like.

Kovaelin likes this.
  3. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

If you haven't finished up to ch. 34-10 (main leveling stage) then you can pretty much stick with your main squad. I'd replace Callista with either Amina or Kuscah the latter having Heal, All if you're struggling with a lack of Control Time skills. End game is more about versatility (for the most part) rather than a single group so you'll want to level up several characters to 65/65/90 unless they're going to be recoded in which case you'll want 80/80/80. Rather than make up groups I'll give some hints on characters. Anyone not mentioned can be safely ignored.

Gegonago - Utility, off heals - Level him up to 80/80/80, recode him, level him to 50 then marvel at how much easier the game is when you don't have to concern yourself with obstacles like enemies. Stealth (Gego^ lv 50) is probably the most controversial skill in the game, but it's very powerful. It allows you to literally move through enemies and 'push' your other units through them as well. With Gego setting up double and triple pincers is easy mode. He also has CT +3 sec, all so with a double stack you'll have 10 seconds of drag time to position units.

Gatz - Utility, High sword dps when recoded - Like Gego he should be a focus for recoding. His utility stays the same after, but his sword dps sky-rockets and he also has a Tap skill that will prove very important for end game content. Treasure Hunter is useful for item farm for most the items you'll have a use for the near future.

Sh'berdan - High Aoe Spear damage, utility - A pretty decent recode that's more of a physical dpser rather then magic like his previous skillset my imply. His lv 80 skill is pretty decent, but if you need magic damage, why would you bring a phsyical damager?

Sn'aip/Bahl
    - Very, Very High physical dps - Should be leveled to 65/65/90. Sn'aip is getting a recode soon if you can manage the 8-bit event.

Bahamut - Mid range fire mage - Bahamut's main use (after recode) is for weekly challanges because he has lots of AoE. Overall he's a decent fire mage even when recoded.

Kuscah/Sorman/Amina - Heals - Kuscah and Sorman are probably 'better' than Amina since they have Heal, All, but Amina is getting a recode soon with Heal, All so she'll be way better and tied for best healer overall. Use whichever your more comfortable with (Kuscah/Sorman are the same).

Bajanna - Mid range physical dps, Coin farming - Bahanna's main use is her Coin Bonus skill in Job 3. When initiating a pincer she will cause all enemies defeated during that pincer (even if she doesn't actually attack them) to give an incrememental coin bonus at a rate of +10% per kill. This means if she initiates a pincer and you have enough AoE to kill 5 enemies you'll get 100%, 110%, 120%, 130% and 140% for the enemies killed. It adds up quickly in Coin Creeps. Her dps is pretty good too.

Seiryu - Mid range dark mage - Decent magic damage and essential for MZ6.

A'merpact - Mid range ice mage - Decent for his rank and will prove useful for Bahamut descends.

Jaguna - Mid range spear, off heals - Literally the worst character in the game until recoded. Once recoded she's relatively weak until high levels. Once she's leveled she'll be a boon to your roster until you get some better spear units.

Palpa - minor utility, Augments - maybe the second worst character in the game (Jaguna), but when recoded she's useful for her tap skills. She can pair with Gatz^ to give you 6 in a single battle.

Grace - low range bow dps - Once known as THE dragonslayer she's now basically a mediocre bow unit. Can still prove useful in the Descends if you're lacking Tap skills for Bahl/Sn'aip, but once you get either Palpa^ or Gatz^ she should be replaced.

Kovaelin likes this.
  4. Kovaelin

Kovaelin Member

I've never recoded anyone before. My understanding is that it's best to do so with all three job classes AND stat boost maxed out. Is that correct? I guess I'll start including Amina more. A'misandra was on my want list, but I suppose there's less of an incentive now.

i actually managed to get Bahamut's material for Job 2. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the last material for Job 3, but I'll give it a try later. Would you recommend using him if Job 2 is all I end up getting?

I was considering Seiryu mostly because I heard dragons are strong against other dragons. His elemental attacks are pretty nice so far. I guess I'll level him up for MZ6. You're talking about Shadowbind, yeah?

I knew I should have stuck with A'merpact! If I knew leveling Seiryu would be so slow, I probably would have left him on the bench. Z classes, maaan!

Is it worth having both Palpa AND Gatz, or should I just choose one?

Gegonago Λ... I totally misjudged you. His lore made him sounds like a bit of a tool. Haha!

I feel a little bad about neglecting Gegonago, up until now. Maybe I should replace Gatz with him for utility?

I think I'll go with Bajanna rather than Sh'berdan as my spear user if her DPS is good. Plus, I need monies.

What's the 8-bit event? Do I need that for recoding? I'm a little confused.

Bahamut seems like a good one to invest some time in. I don't have any of the SS mages that everyone keeps talking about (I'm not even sure how many there are. 3? 6?), so I hope I'll be okay with Bahamut at level 1 or 2. Seiryu and A'merpact might need to be swapped in and out with Bahamut, depending on the elements I need.

Kuscah (I just like his art more than Sorman) seems pretty okay for healing everyone. I might switch back to Amina to get her ready for recoding though. The heal all ability isn't as OP as I thought it would be, but it's saved me several times, I'm sure.

I don't think I've seen any tap skills yet. I'm a little uncertain about what you mean about getting "6 in a single battle". Would you mind clarifying this?

Poor Grace. She lost her arm and now her legendary dragon killing abilities!

Well, I think I have enough to work with to make a better team. Thank you both for such great run-downs!!:love:

5. Sassmaster9001

Sassmaster9001 Member

They just need to be 80/80/80 to recode. Recoding gives them 4 extra skills, resets them to level 1, breaks the level cap on their high-level skills (so a level 65 skill can be put in slot 1 and used in level capped dungeons), and eats the old character. It also transfers your starting SB to the new character, and eats your recode material monsters, siphoning 20% of the monsters' SB. If you clear POF, this is essentially a free 40% SB.
    For example, you could play the Bahamut dungeon until Baha hits 60% SB. Then if your material monsters are at 100%, recode him (after leveling to 80/80/80), and you get a brand new 100% SB Bahamut Z! You can read about this here.
    Seiryu buffs other dragons. and Bahamut Z debuffs dragons. Those are the only 2 dragon-related abilities the adventurer dragons have, though, so that hearsay isn't really true.
    Seiryu has the benefit of being in the POF. Personally, I only leveled him to 36/36/36 and reached 90/90/90 while clearing POF, since he gets 6 levels and 12% SB from each POF pull.
    Work on both. They're useful in endgame. Prioritize Gatz first.
    Not necessarily. Work on them side-by-side. They're both good investments for different reasons. Tap vs God-powers.
    It's a newly released event. As of right now, recruiting that orbling is only necessary if you want to recode Burbaba (weaksauce) or Mizell (God). It's nearly impossible to recruit him though cuz it's luck-based. One can run that dungeon ad nauseum to get items for the current trading post. Try it if you want, it's a cheap dungeon ;)
    Baha is #heckadank. In his Z form he's a beast if you've got no-one else. The SS mages everyone talks about are Lewto, Piz'fer, Jennish, and Zerro. They shine most in their Z forms because they blast the fuck out of the field with their AOE. Baha's best skill doesn't show up until J3, though, so you might wanna open that job.
    It is only OP in conjunction with his Heal, 1.5x. Stack those a couple times and those Heal, Alls keeps everyone nice and maxed.
    This will be relevant if you recode and obtain Palpa Z and Gatz Z. They have 3 charges each of augmenting goodness. You literally tap on the character before you make your move and each tap gives a 30% ATK buff to your team (MATK if using a character that does magic taps). So people are just saying that you can get nearly 300% increase in attack power for that single turn if you get in 6 taps. This is only relevant (and crucial) for the endgame dungeons. Lucky you. You have 2 potential tappers if you invest in them ;) Hence why I mentioned earlier to work on both ;)

Kovaelin likes this.
  6. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Active Member

You need all three Jobs at 80 to Recode the character. Exceptions are Lucia, Lich, and Marilith, but that's becaue they only have one job each. Not sure what you mean by stat boost, but if you mean skill boost, it's recommended. When recoding, you transfer the original's SB plus 1/5 of each monster's SB. So having the original at 60% and both monsters a 100% will get you a 100% SB Recode character. But with the new introduction of Luck, things are still up in the air if it's still the best course of action.
    No, his most valuable skill (Inferno, Cross All) is on his J3. With only J2, he only has 2 Mega and 1 Giga, so pretty weak.
    No, there are no such "species advantage" system in the game. Yeah, Seiryu is one of the two characters who learn Shadowbind naturally, so he's mostly valuable for MZ6 (the other one is Rejin^).
    I feel you, man, I pulled Zavison the other day and it takes forever to level him up. Still, Seiryu should be easy to level if you completed PoFellowship. Each dupe gives you +10 level or something.
    I don't have Tap characters myself, but looking around it seems one Tap is enough to turn any bosses into ezmodo. Keep Gatz^ and level Palpa^ when you have the time, just in case.
    All the following Recodes (Burbaba^, S'naip^, Amina^, and Kem^) all need the 8-bit monsters. They're only available at the Arena. Current event is the 8-bit Orbling.
    The SS mages are Lewto, Piz'fer, Jennish and Zerro, all of which have identical skillset except for the element they use. Before the 4.0 update, their Z forms were considered the strongest units due to their high damage and ability to carpet bomb the screen. If they're attackng an enemy in the middle, there's only like 2 squares they can't reach.
    Wait until you get the Heal x1.5 skill. The buff stacks, so combined with Heal All you can heal everyone to max health per turn,
    Tap skills are different from other skills, as they need to be activated manually. And you can activate each skill only 3 times per battle, but each activation grealt buffs you. 6 buffs in a single turn will let you deal monstrous amount of damage.

If it's any consolation, she's still in the better half of A/B characters. And there are talks about her and Bahl getting recodes, although nobody knows when they'll arrive.

Kovaelin likes this.
  7. Sassmaster9001

Sassmaster9001 Member

that awkward moment when @TrueShadow covers almost the same exact points sass did.....;)

8. Kovaelin

Kovaelin Member

9. Kovaelin

Kovaelin Member

I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by my available choices, now that I've played a little while more. Does anyone have suggestions on how I should revamp my team?

I can see how different characters are beneficial for different scenarios, but I'm particularly indecisive when it comes to my spear-users, at the moment. I know Bajanna is still good for Coin Creeps, but I feel that Sh'berdan Λ, Odin, and Clara all might be pretty powerful.

Certain event characters are a work in progress, but I'm not sure if some are worth the time (i.e. Lucia Λ, Nia).

Are all recode adventurers considered to be decent enough for Chapter 35+ or end-game? I'm investing some time into Ellvern Λ for Lamia and I leveled Sh'berdan Λ because he was my only spear-user for a time, but I don't know much about Korin Λ.

Thank you for the advice once again. I really appreciate it!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  10. mudamuda

mudamuda Member

The first thing to do would be to recode some of your characters to get some of the most useful characters in the game,

Gatz for sure as he puts out good damage(even chainable to help kill mobs) while having taps and treasure hunter among some other niche utilities. Having taps lets you defeat a lot of the newer content and makes bosses that are otherwise annoying to fight a breeze. Sometimes having 2 taps characters makes things even easier and since you have 3 characters that have taps you can choose which two to develop. Peyrna is great but may not always be a good pick for your team, Palpa^ has the advantage of being a support character with taps in one(put a healing rod on her and she can become your primary healer for most battles) so it depends which you think you'll see getting more use.

S'naip is also a must for physical damage, his normal version is already strong so his recode is only better. Same thing with Bahl. Recode them and you'll have the 2 highest damage characters in the game.

You have Bahamut, Leviathan and A'merpact for mages but you may want to recode them to be stronger. I'd make Leviathan a priority other the other two since he has AoE as well as icebind which is mandatory in MZ7 and useful for dealing with the mobs in the Kino/8-bit. If you have Leviathan you probably don't need to recode A'merpact right away. Lucia^ is not really worth your time unless you absolutely do not have better mages. With Invincible^ which can be gotten free if you complete PoF she's completely obsolete.

Speaking of which I see you don't have Suoh(and therefore his recode), finishing PoF will also allow you to access to his recode which is another pretty good damage character the bonus of being easy to get to 100L if you care about luck drops. Same with Jaguna^, who may be a more useful spear user than Clara^ and Odin^ because of her support skills even if her damage is not as much as theirs.

Eventually you'll want to recode Amina but you can pretty much get by with Kuscah if you aren't doing the highest difficulty quests.

Personally speaking, although Gegonago^ is considered godly for his stealth skill and CT+3 all he isn't a must have but "nice to have". Amina^ could double as your mover so I'd make her a priority over Gegonago.

As for Bajanna, with the ability to sell O companions(easily gotten for half price during the current TP sale) and Metal Minion^^ for coins Bajanna's coin bonus skill doesn't seem that great anymore. Of course if you need all the coin you can get to complete PoF then I could see how she would be a bit more valuable now that the stamina replenish rate allows you to farm more coins. Her worth as a spear user is also diminished with all of the other better options. Of Sh'berdan Λ, Clara^ and Odin^, Odin^ is the best for damage in a double pincer but apparently Clara^ is better for single pincer. I still prefer Odin for his set 2000 damage skill and you probably don't need Clara^ if you have him. Odin is readily available to farm while Clara will be gone by the end of the month so it depends how that affects your priorities though. Imo Sh'berdan Λ has very limited use(good for 8-bit Spinetrich lol) and is not a standout for damage.

Nia^ is said to be a "poor man's Bonna", she has some niche utilities and can provide heal support along with damage support with her twin missiles plus some ok magic damage if you put a Z magic companion on her(Axion/Holy DragonZ) but otherwise you could skip her if you don't find a use for her combination of skills.

You can basically ignore Korin^ if you have Gatz and Bahl for swordsmen.

A lot of the later story chapters 35 onwards have time/other traps, but while having characters that get around those traps is useful it's not necessary if you have a mover with CT skills.

Kovaelin likes this.
  11. yeezus

yeezus Active Member

I'm going to strongly disagree here. When your 100L roster is limited (as OP's is here), versatility is FAR more valuable than specialization. That's why Jaguna^ is such an amazing early 100L character. I would also put Nia^ in that category. She's a healer, mover, frequency booster, moderate ice damager (for Baha and Levi), bomb disarmer (for Odin), and even helps take out remote adds with Twin Missile.

Sure, Amina^ and Gego^ are a better healer and mover/frequency booster/bomb disarmer, respectively, but even combined they don't cover the full spectrum of Nia^'s skill set, and it will be a long time before OP could have either of those two at 100L, let alone both. I completed PoFoF almost immediately after Luck was introduced, and I still don't have either of those characters at 100L yet (both of them need two more recodes to reach 100L). Meanwhile, I've been using Nia^ in almost all of my 100L teams ever since I got her to 100L. That's a lot of 100L chests to miss out on simply waiting for the better characters to reach 100L.

LegendaryFrog and Kovaelin like this.
  12. mudamuda

mudamuda Member

I myself really like Nia^ for my 100L team as well for when my choices are super limited and if I need certain utilities(mostly CT but disarm bomb for slugosaur is good too, in a 100L team freq.boost is unnecessary though) and heals. But since Battle Champs is gone for now it's probably not a priority to get Nia^ to 100L, if OP even cares about that. Nia^'s appeal is strongly dependant on if you care about farming the luck drops and whether you have other better characters with the utilities Nia^ has.

Kovaelin likes this.
  13. Kovaelin

Kovaelin Member

I haven't recoded Nia yet, but it's just a matter of levelling her up. I have all the DNA requirements already, but I only got her luck up to ~60%, after the event.