Just some tips for new players...

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Silver Mitsuki, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    So... from time to time a new user starts to play Terra Battle and decides to joins TBF: even if I love the fresh meat and to help the novices, repeating the same tips over and over is a little time-consuming, reason why I decided to group some of the tips I usually give to the new players here.

This "guide" won't cover everything, it will just privide some general advices on what (not) to do in order to help new players enjoying the game more and what certain terms mean. I apologize in advance for its length, hope you have some free time :S

@ Old Players: If you have something to add or don't agree with me, you know how to reply to a thread
    @ New Players: If you don't understand something, the Reply textarea is at the end of the page: make me know what you didn't understand and I'll try to be more specific; your question might also be of help to other players with your same doubts, so don't be shy :)

First and most important, the Community is on your side: if you have any question ask us, if you need help ask us, if you can't beat a stage ask us. We are all willing to help :)

Second, remember that Terra Battle is a game, so have fun!
    Is not a bad thing not considering TB as your second job: what will follow are just tips on how to get the most from the game on the long term, but nobody keeps you away from spending all your Energy to continue after getting a Game Over on the very first chapters (which is, just to be clear, the worst use you can do of it).

You don't have to read everything, and the most important things are listed under the tl;dr tag.

Some useful websites you might want to save in your favourites are:
    • http://terrabattle.wikia.com/ - The Official Wiki. You find here info on everything: tips on how to defeat the strongest enemies, where a certain item can be found, what skills do characters have and so on. You might don't know it yet, but you're going to be best friends;
    • http://tbs.desile.fr/ - [TBF Thread] A great Web App that will help you to track your progresses on TB: what items you need to farm to unlock the remaining jobs for your characters, what units do you still miss and so on. It also includes many other useful tools;
    • http://tbc.silverdb.it/ - [TBF Thread] A summary of everything: in-game announcements, events, tweets, items and so on, it will help you taking decisions;
    • More links are listed here.
    ======================================
    • Set a password under Options > Change Devices and take a screenshot at your transfer data;
    • Don't waste coins to pull new units;
    • Save your Energy: get your first team of 6 adventurers by pulling the remaining from the Pact of Truth/Fate, then stop. On average once a month, Mistwalker sets up an event that grants you at least 2 S class (or higher) units when pulling 10 times in a row, you want to wait for it :)
    • Don't waste Energy on pulling companions;
    • First Contacts: Every time you play with someone for the very first time you'll get a little prize. A total of 20 "fc" award you with 20 Energy and 24 Metal Tickets, ask for them in Chat;
    • Save the 10 Companion Tickets you'll get for free by progressing the story: from time to time an event grants you at least 2 S class or higher companions when pulling 10 times in a row, that's the best moment to use them. ;)
      You get 5 more Companion Tickets by logging in daily: save them for the [All Z class Increased Odds] events.

You'll soon find that Terra Battle has 2 main currencies: Coins (gained by playing the game normally) and Energy (purchasable and valuable currency - 5 Energy can be acquired by logging in for 8 days straight and in other few ways).
    During your first days the game will cover you with Energy: don't waste them.
    The worse use you can do of Energy is to continue a match after a Game Over, don't ever do it.

Coins have several uses, and the worst one is to pull new characters from the Tavern: even if there's a very, very tiny chance to get few strong units, you'll probably end up finding junk.
    [ ! ] Skip this part if you just want to have fun, I'll talk about rerolling and stuff.

[ ! ] If you're interested in rerolling know that I collected several good accounts on this thread, you want to look at them before spending hours on it ;)

When starting a new game, you'll be gifted with 4 units: one B class character ( [​IMG] Bahl or [​IMG] Grace ), a healer (which is now the SS class Amimari for everybody) and a couple more of dummy units.

After the 5 stages long Tutorial, you'll also be gifted with your first 5 10 Energy that you can (and will) use to pull a character from the Tavern.

Now, even if I don't like it much, many suggest to "reroll" in case they don't find anything good from this free pull: since your data is stored on a server, the only way to start a new game it is to delete your app data, here's the procedure:

Android (root)
    • Your problem
    Android (root and no root)
    • Head to the Settings menu (the cog icon)
    • Tap on Apps (or Storage > Applications), then Terra Battle.
    • Tap on Clear Data (not Cache, Data).
    iOS
    • I never used iOS, so you are on your own
    • If someone knows (for sure) how to clear an app data on iOS please make me know it :)

[ ! ] Note that this will also wipe your cache, you might don't want to do it if you are playing on mobile data.

The perfect start consists of Bahl as first unit (which is one of the strongest physical units of the game, if used correctly) and one from the following list [updated on Mar 2017]:

[ ! ] the chances to get a "gold" character (S/SS class) are about 10%, it might take you some time to get one.

Z class

Almost everyone is ok. The best ones are:

SS class

S class

A class

B class

Some might not agree with some of the units I listed, other with some I didn't list: this is my thread, I write what I want.

More tips @Tomatoast recently posted, are listed here: http://terrabattleforum.com/threads/new-player-best-way-to-reroll.11699/#post-129854

[ ! ] If you are a completionist, you might also want to take a look at what is written under the "Skill Boost" tag ;)
    From the Tavern menu, you'll be invited to "pull" from 5 different Pacts, which are:
    • (PoTL/PoFL) Pact of Fate (for getting new units by spending Energy or Coins)
    • (PoT) Pact of Thruth (units for Energy)
    • (CoT) Companions of Truth (companions for Energy)
    • (PoF) Pact of Fellowship (units for Coins)
    • (CoF) Companions of Fellowship (companions for Coins)

You know what Units (characters) are and how they work; you should also know that Companions can be equipped to your units to allow them to use different skills and spells: do you want your white mage to be able to cast a Fire spell or use Megasword? Give them a companion :)

I'll talk a little more about units on the next spoiler tag, I wanted to write a couple of lines about companions and Coins first: avoid to waste your meager savings on them right after you started playing and wait to have 10 or 20.000 coins before buying some, so that you can afford to unlock new jobs for your characters, that will provide you more skills. Companions are not required at all, especially for most of the first part of the story.

Sooner or later you'll end up with 50-100.000 coins and more. Even if spending a total of 100-200.000 coins on the "CoF" to build a solid base of companions is advisable, saving them for unloking new jobs for your adventurers and other things will help you a lot on the long run.
    The first thing you want to do is to build a good team for playing the story: as you can read on the Wiki, there are many ways to gain Energy, especially when you just started to play (the best one is by getting "first contacts", more about them later); gain enough Energy to pull 2-3 characters in order to have at least 4 or 5 adventurers in your roster.

minor spoiler alert:
    You'll get a free adventurer after claring the 4th chapter and another one after the 10th (both are kinda weak for much of the story, but are still stronger than many monsters).

Spending more Energy to get one or two extra adventurers might be useful, but avoid to pull too many times, trust me when I say you don't want to waste your first Energies :)

[ ! ] Often, Mistwalker sets up events to increase the chances to pull certain units more than others: if you are not sure about pulling or not, ask the community ;)

The characters available on the Pact of Fate (first "screen", Energy) are the same of the Pact of Truth: the only difference is that when pulling a unit you already have, that character will gain Luck instead of Skill Boost (a couple of lines about Luck are written below).

Many suggest to completely ignore the Pact of Fate and pull exclusively from the Pact of Truth, but as long as you don't aim to get every character and just want to have a good time it doesn't really matter from what pact you pull from.
    As I mentioned earlier, avoid to pull from the Pact of Fellowship and go for the Pact of Truth/Fate: compared to the monsters, adventurers are much, much stronger. Build your team of 6 adventurers as soon as possible and try to progress the story saving as more Energy as you can.
    • Don't use less than 6 units to make your units gain more EXP: there are better ways to gain ton of it.
    • Killing more enemies on the same turn nets you, in the long run, something like 20% more EXP. Take advantage of it :)
    • Some skills (like buffs and heals) trigger on chain: even if you don't need a certain character, chain him/her every time you have the occasion to make them trigger such skills, you'll thank me later. A little more about the "Skill Boost" later.
    Cleared Chapter 3, the "Co-op Game" button will be enabled: if you are having a bad time on a stage, ask the community to help you :)
    To join a private room, write the 5 digits code the other player gave to you on Arena > Co-op Battle > Find Private Room.

Under Arena > Co-op Game > Host Game you can join 2 more players to fight an Eidolon: this kind of boss fight allow you to "recruit" a summon, an help for PvP and some Co-op stages (although you won't find any use for them during your first weeks on TB, so forget their existence for now).

Now, the important part: the first time you play with someone, you'll get a "First Contact" Bonus, which will reward you with 2 of the most useful items on TB, Energy and Metal Tickets.

20 First Contacts award you with a total of 20 free Energy and 24 Metal Tickets; the best way to get them is to ask for them on Chat; you can also track your progress by starting a thread on the Co-op and Friend Finder subforum if you wish :)

The list of the available prizes can be found here.
    There's not much to say about Luck: forget about it for now, is more like an "end-game" stuff... a high-luck team allows you to get some exclusive items and to farm a ton of coins, but the less tedious way to farm this stat is to gain it through the expensive method of Recoding.
    One of the discussions about the Luck grinding we had on TBF (in case you want to know more) is this one.
    Not much to say about this too: as you know, an high SB means that your character's skills will trigger more often. A 30% skill casted by a 50% SB character will proc 30+50 = 80% of the times.

What you don't know, is that a unit can gain a +0.1% SB after triggering any of their skills (this usually happens something like ~6% of the times at least one skill procs), reason why I suggest you to equip your units with AoE and stackable buffs, and to chain them every time you can; some players replay some 1 Stamina stages over and over again only to make their units reach 100% SB (insane, I know...). More about SB can be found here (wiki) and here (TBF thread)

[ ! ] Note that when pulling a unit from the Pact of Truth (Energy) you can also find a character you already own, as long as their Skill Boost is lower than 100% (and this is the reason why many players work on maxing their characters); once a player 100% SB all of his/her A and B character, it will be possible for them to find a Gold/Rainbow Card every time they pull from the Pact of Truth: nice trick, isn't it? :D
    Having more adventurers in your roster grants you more choice when is time to build a team for a specific dungeon (e.g. an ice team to face Bahamut, or one of bows to fight Odin), then why shouldn't you keep pulling?

When recruiting from the Tavern there's a small chance to find an S class (or higher) adventurer, like a 10% chance or so: from time to time (once every 30-40 days in average, here's the history of the past ones), Mistwalker sets up an event that grants at least 2 S class (or higher) characters when pulling 10 times in a row, that's why you want to save your Energy ;)

The first part of the story can be easily cleared by using mainly A and B class units: most of the chapters available were developed before co-op, companions and the lv90 cap (was 70 initially) were introduced, so you shouldn't have problems reaching the late game :)

Of course, nobody forces you to wait for this kind of event to come back, as I said this "guide" is just a list of tips from someone who plays since a long time and some more useful units will help you enjoying the late game content a lot more ;)
    Another very important tip: when clearing chapters 6, 8 and 10 you'll get some "Companion Tickets": DON'T USE THEM, NOT EVEN ONE!!

Each of those tickets allows you to do a free pull from the "Companions of Truth" pact, that usually cost 3 Energy, to get a B class or higher companion... then why waiting? You probably know the answer: there's a "2/10" equivalent even for companions (you find here the history of this kind of event) and you want to try to get something of really good :)

[ ! ] Companion Tickets can also be found in the Trading Post and are gifted on special occasions (first days of logins, anniversaries, ...); since many of the companions you find "for free" (by spending coins, not Energy) are good almost as those you MIGHT find on the Companions of Truth pact, I higly reccomand you not to use your Energy to pull from "CoT".

[ ! ] You can't pull "10 times in a row" by using both Companion Tickets and Energy: is 10 CT or 30 Energy.
    Metal Zones are the best stages where to level up your units, awarding dozens of thousands of EXP and accessible in 2 ways:
    • from the World Map
      • Higher level Metal Zones are unlocked by progressing the story;
      • Available at different times: you find the schedules on crape.org, TBS and TBc;
      • 1 Energy can be used to open every Metal Zone (you unlocked) for 1 hour anytime, although is not advisable to waste Energy this way.
    • from the Arena
      • Available anytime, but each run will cost you 1 Metal Ticket, that can be efficiently farmed on chapter 6-8 and on the Crystal Road in Arena;
      • Given the "MT" low drop rate, is advisable not to use them for running the earlier Metal Zones, that can be accessed from the World Map for a cheap price instead.
    More about the Metal Zone can be found on the Wiki.
    For this one I'll just redirect you to this page
    There are many items in Terra Battle, and even if you'll find most of the materials you need by playing the game normally and by farming for them in the Hunting Zones, the rarest ones can be found only in specific stages: in this case, the Wiki and other websites like TBS and TBc come in your help :)

In chat you'll also find many players happy to help you by lending their stamina and/or characters with the passive skill Treasure Hunter, that increases the drop rates.

On some days, a "Double Drop" bonus makes farming specific materials easier for everybody: if you are looking for something, take a look at TBS and TBc first to know if waiting for a couple of days more is more convenient for you.
    TB Data is stored on a server, so you won't lose your progress in case of explosion of your Omissis Note 7, but in order to be shielded you need to set up a password under Options > Change Devices first.
    It literally takes few seconds, the time to type a password twice: do it and note down your credentials.

A quick way to do it is by taking a screenshot and mailing it to you (or have the cloud sync active):
    For Android users…
    • … running Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and above: Press and hold (for about a second) the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time;
    • … running an old version of the OS: since these don't have a screenshotting feature built-in you need to download an app like "No Root Screenshot It"; anyway, some models allow to take screens without installing anything (for example, on many Samsung phones you can press the Home and Power buttons at the same time).

iOS users can take a screenshot just by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake and the Home buttons.

Screenshots will show up in your Gallery/Photo app.

Remember that after transferring your account over a new device you have to set a new password, the old one won't work anymore!

[PSA] Back up your Terra Battle account NOW

2. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    Also feel free to ask simple quick questions on Chat if it's active. I may or may not be of help depending on my mood! Others here are generally more serious than I, so they're usually safe to trust~

Silver Mitsuki likes this.
  3. another

another Active Member

Especially for PvP events ...:p

4. Tomatoast

Tomatoast New Member

Somehow i was quoted, but when i reread what i wrote it seems very disorganized.

Perhaps a pictorial version of the guide would be more user friendly and less daunting, e.g. flowchart or even a Youtube video, showing what to do from early game (rerolling) to middle game (skillboosting). It might also be a good idea to distinguish the casual player who does not mind spending 50 energy to risk pulling Jaguna or Suoh from the hardcore player who wants to SB everything.

Also, it may be better to phrase things from a top-down approach. New players wouldn't know what exactly is an adventurer, nor will they be able to tell pact of truth apart from fellowship. Maybe starting off by explaining what is energy and establishing it as in-game premium currency would be more useful, or framing things in terms of questions such as "what should i do with coins?", "how to best spend my stamina?" There are really too many tips for newbies so they might be turned off by them.

Having said all these, i really do not have the time to work something out right now, but i can look through what you guys have written? I definitely lack the technical skills and knowledge you experienced people have, but i am sure the "average players" like me can help when some stuff are overlooked.

Once my exams are over, i will try to see how else i can contribute to this community. I like what is being done for the people, and i am sure they appreciate it. So keep it up!

By the way, do we have any statistics/rough information on newbies joining the game and the fall-out rates? TB is one of the most unique and has one of the best designs in tons of mobile games i have played, and i feel TB is undervalued and underappreciated.

5. Weird D

Weird D Active Member

If love that your sig says "Please, don't reroll. Just ...don't do that. Please."... and you give the reroll method :hilarious:
    A quick comment : I remember reading that, without a TH, farming for metal tickets yields, on average, one every 17 stamina. So using tickets for MZ1-2 in the arena is a waste.

6. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    The point is that you can't say for sure what kind of user you'll be: when I started, I laughed (not out loud) at those fools that SkillBoosted, and now after dozens of hours on the early stages I have almost all the characters available at 100% SB;
    I wrote a guide of this type explaining how the Circle of Carnage works, Physical vs. Magical damage and more on the Italian subforum last year. Since we live on the 21th Century I suppose everybody fully understand italian, so I never felt the need to translate it.
    As it is right now, this "guide" is just a disorganized collection of tips gathered under some spoiler tags (the "tl;dr" tag is the only way for many to read immediately the most important ones), but giving the kind of information you listed wasn't in my plans: players have time to understand on where they should spend their coins and where/when to farm for Metal Tickets, but once you spent the 10 Energy during an hypothetical "Jaguna rates up" or one of those sweet free Companion Tickets earned after clearing chapter 6, there's no way to undo what you have done.
    There are too many tips to give to the new players, enough for a second thread: listing them all here would have caused a lot of confusion.
    -- also, I already wrote a couple of lines talking about Coins vs Energy / PoF vs PoT :3
    I'm looking forward to it :D
    I can't think of anything right now

lol.
    I also wrote that "I don't like it much", what I want is for players to have a good time :)
    But seriously, don't reroll, is like cheating :rage:
    Yup. I should probably write it on the OP, and I guess I'm going to do it. Thanks for the reminder :)

7. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Sorry for necro.

I just read it again and is there any reason why you included Zafitte as reroll target? I can see how she would be useful to new players, but I'm just curious since I rarely see anyone saying she's good.

8. Tomatoast

Tomatoast New Member

Because Zafitte is pretty, and Silver loves pretty things.
    It might be due to her J1 +20% skill frequency or bombs clearing metal runners early on, but most importantly, she's cute.
    That's why Bonna is there too.
    But clearly Silver doesn't like Zeera, too young for him.

9. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    Not really necro, and everybody can post here anytime (I also mentioned it on OP) :)

There are many units in Terra Battle that are worth to look for (SS mages, Gugba, Gegonago, Bonna and the list goes on) and Zafitte shouldn't really be on that list (I mean, if you are willing to spend hours on rerolling you might want a stronger character ** note for the new players, click on each name on the list you find under the "The Beginning" spoiler tag to see the skillset of each character ** ), but I find Zafitte very useful, since, on her first job, she learns
    • [​IMG] Disarm Bomb (useful for 8-9, a chapter full of Bomborgs),
    • [​IMG] Levitation (many have problems passing chapter 18 because they lack of this skill),
    • [​IMG] Build Bomb (here's a video of a trick involving this skill to gain A TON of EXP from high level Metal Zones - use it when MZ6/7 are available in Arena to level up all your units in a snap) and, dulcis in fundo,
    • [​IMG] Frequency +20%, a huge help for all those who just started playing and have low SB units
    All these skills can be accessed without needing to farm for the Dark Matters needed to unlock her job 2;
    On Job 3/lv65 she also learns [​IMG] Panacea, a life-saver on chapter 27, since the Dark Petrifier can give casual players some problems.

We still have no news about a recode, and, as I said, players might want to look for a stronger character, but my goal is to give every player a help to enjoy the game, not to have the best units as possible, for that we have other threads on the Units & Items/Guides subforums :)

EDIT:
    Indeed. Just look at her J3 art <3
    Also, I played most of the story with her, I know how good she can be ^-^
    It doesn't exists such thing as "too young" for me, I just don't like her at all :yuck:

10. TrueShadow

I see. Looking at her skillset again, she's like a mini-Gegonago. All the utility except that frankly broken CT+.

I have no idea what you're doing with that MZ video, but I know Metals are one-shotted by bombs. Too bad bombs are useless most of the time. I find bombs fun and I love seeing Nia spam her bombs everywhere :p.

I hope she gets a bomb-themed recode, maybe with a super bomb that deals double damage and explodes with area(2) aoe.

11. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    As written in the description, the video is just a showoff of Gugba, Zafitte and Bomborg's passive ability "Build Bomb"; I linked it not to show how the ability works to you (I assumed you already know that ;) ), but to new players that might wonder why I decided to add Zafitte to my list :)

12. TrueShadow

Well, you said trick so I assumed there was something secret about killing with bombs. Was confused since everyone's reaction when leveling Nia^ is "stop spawning bombs!!" :V

13. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Not the same bomb skill. Nia is 1 at random. The other the we're talking about is 4 (one under the unit) following where you move. I don't think Zafitte is a great starting unit myself. I would put her in a group of if you only reroll 5 times type.