Lich Kino - Why are there 3 stages?

Discussion in 'Levels & Bosses' started by LegendaryFrog, Nov 24, 2016.

1. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

For some reason MW decided to make the latest Kino a multi stage battle. I guess they figured we weren't spending enough time farming Kinos?

Notes:
    • All enemies, including the boss, take damage from only Lightning, Non-elemental and Photon attacks.
    • All enemies absorb Dark Damage.
    • 20% chance per stage to spawn 1 Metal Rocker on turn 1.
    • Since there are no weapon weaknesses it makes the entire dungeon particularly irritating since of all the 'free' L100 characters only Invincible^ can do any reasonable damage. Going in with full Holy Dragons or Thunder Rods is ill-advised as the boss has an AoE dark attack that can one shot nearly all of the PoFoF group. Because of that one skill you'll most likely need Shadow Shields to keep everyone alive.
    • Jaguna^ and Seiryu can survive Dark Attack, All with only self buffs and don't need Dark Shields. They can safely equip Holy Dragons to boost damage. Invincble^ can survive with Mog/Bewitching Bow and self buffs.
    • Metal Rockers have a chance to spawn on all three stages, but there is no guarantee one will spawn at all. Only one will spawn per stage and will do so at the start of the battle.

Stages:
    The first two stages are very easy and really only serve as a needless waste of time. Yin will deal Area (1) dark damage while Necromancers will deal dark damage on the furthest characters. They all die pretty quickly even if you only have Invincible^ to deal damage. Metal Rockers will only spawn on turn 1 so there is no reason to delay if you don't see one right away.

Boss:
    The boss comes with two Necros and two Yin that won't re-spawn so they should be killed first to make the fight easier. Lich Kino starts the battle by pushing your units around a bit (does no damage) and then follows a pretty simple attack pattern of Column > Row > Area (2) + Sleep, Area (2) Column > Column > Area (2) + Sleep, Area (2). The real threat to the battle occurs when the boss reaches ~30-40% HP. The boss will complete it's turn as normal and then charge up for Dark Attack, All. This means if you don't plan correctly the boss will use Black Hole, Area (2), Sleep Area (2) and then hit the party with Dark Attack, All most likely killing everyone. If timed correctly you can bring the boss below 40% when it's about to use a column or row attack so you'll have a free turn to trigger shields to defend. Once the Dark Attack, All is cast the boss will return to it's normal rotation until dead.

*Edit - There is a way to interrupt the bosses ultimate attack, Dark Attack, All. Just using lightning and/or photon damage doesn't seem to be enough. It seems you'll need to do enough lightning/photon damage or use enough lightning/photon attacks on the boss. 10 light/photon attacks will consistently interrupt the boss.

Chest Drops:
    a - x20 TP currency, x50 coins, Ice Ring, Photon Ring, Terra Spearbronze, Terra Bowstring
    b - x40 TP currency, x50 coins, Graviton Ring, Ice Ring, Green Ring, Terra Swordsteel
    c - x150 TP currency, x100 coins
    d - x450 TP currency, Lich Kino^
    80 - Lich Kino O II, Lich Kino^, Metal Minion
    100 - Lich Kino O, Sha'plar O II, Metal Minion

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  2. atre324

atre324 Active Member

I beat this with very few problems with a 100L squad:

Invincible^ w HolyZ
    Baha^ w HolyZ
    Levi^ w HolyZ
    Shinen w Staff of Zeus
    Nia^ w Hourglass
    Jaguna w WWWand but you really don't need it

For last stage turn1 kill adds and build PP. Turn 2 PP double pincer, Turn 3 PP double pincer, and he should never have time to AoE.

Do the rockers ALWAYS spawn first
    turn or not at all? Or should I be stalling to get them to spawn?

3. mudamuda

mudamuda Member

I foresee a lot of s/l trying to figure out a configuration for the free team that I can use, but according to the update notes s/l basically ensures you can't farm animata items? Talk about kicking you while you're down.

4. Zyron

Zyron Member

The rockers can spawn on all three stages, unfortunately not every time on turn one. I don't care about that. I will get enough animata items to get all I want from trading post.

I could beat him with Baha, Levi, Jag, Nia, Cam and Invincible. I only have one Staff of Zeus and 2 Skips for lightning damage, so it depends on good timing to beat Lich. Otherwise Dark attack all will kill most of my team.

5. atre324

atre324 Active Member

Do you have holy dragons/holy Zs? They'll do great damage

6. Jarrett

Jarrett New Member

I think this only applies to the "free" animata that drops from things like story levels. The animata drops from the boss still drop. I had to S/L a few times to find a good double pincer to kill Lich Kino. Also I still got the extra 100 animata from the metal rocker I killed in previous levels.

doodootron and mudamuda like this.
  7. mudamuda

mudamuda Member

That's a relief. Farming animata items in great numbers is really most of the reason why I run these events.

8. Zyron

Zyron Member

No. Didn't try RDK yet. But I have 4 darkness shields. Will use them on Nia and Jag, so they may survive Dark attack all.:nailbiting:

9. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Active Member

The new free 100L char, Invincible ^, is kinda amazing for this fight. All his non-elemental damage is unmitigated, and he has an ability that gives all staff users +5% Mdef, which stacks up to a point where all the important ppl in my free team can survive his Dark:All.

10. Quartzel

Quartzel Active Member

I just got Sha'plar O II from 100L drop.

11. Djoss

Djoss Active Member

Really easy fight. I run it with Invincible^ (Holy Dragon Z), Lucia^ (Holy Dragon SS), Jennish^ (Mog), Samatha^ (Mog), Yukken^ and Alika^ (Orichalcum rod (yeah I know)). A double pincer is enough to kill him.

12. Zyron

Zyron Member

Don't need the shields. I get Lich to about 50 or a bit less HP, wait till he did his area 2 attack and area 2 sleep. Next 2 turns double pincer and it's done. Got Sha'plar OII twice and Lich OII, Lich O is still hiding.

13. Loner

Loner Active Member

Meanwhile I got both Lich Kino O and Slugosaur Kino Ο first run :troll:

14. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

Good timing, strong characters and the correct companions are able to bypass the phase altogether, but that's true for just about any battle. The Kinos are all pretty simple with the correct setup, but my goal with these guides has always been to help the PoFoF L100 team. I don't even consider BLO L100 trio when writing these up. It's easy to say "Grab Jennish^ and Sam^ and your strongest Z's.", but most players aren't going to have anyone but the PoFoF team at L100. Shields are the most reliable method for most players to tackle this fight since since most of the PoFoF team lacks the damage and durability to farm it.

DanielMilian and lynx like this.
  15. BambY

BambY Active Member

16. mudamuda

mudamuda Member

Huh, I put together the only free team I could and ran a test run of Lich III expecting to barely manage to survive Dark Attack but I seemed to have triggered something on the double pincer turn right before it that caused Lich to abort the attack and stop flashing. He gives the dialogue "the light is blinding" then stops flashing and resumes his pattern. I'm thinking it's the lightning rods I've equipped. Going to test this out again.

Edit: second run he died on the turn that he flashes so I didn't get to see if he would abort the attack again.

Third run, couldn't quite kill him by just a sliver on the flashing turn but I triggered the message again followed by aborting his attack. Seems hitting him with any kind of lightning attack is enough to do it. I guess that's why they have thunder rods in TP right now. With careful positioning you don't even need shields.

My setup:
    Jaguna^ with lightning rod
    Invincible^ with sorcerer shield and aerial shield in one slot
    Lich^ with lightning rod
    Nia^ with lightning rod
    Camellia^ with stygian shield
    Marilith^ with stygian shield
    Double pincered horizontally on power point with Jaguna, Invincible, Marilith, and Camellia while Lich and Nia were chained.

17. Xenocite

Xenocite Active Member

Is this actually true for you? I'm using iOS and I checked Lich Kino's moveset and he doesn't have any Row attacks. He just does Column > Column > Area(2) + Sleep, Area(2) for me instead. I've only tried Lich Kino Strikes Back III and not the other ones.

18. EASY26

EASY26 Member

Thx for sharing this. I also run with the same team and same otomos, EXCEPT no lightning rods. Instead I used... Holy Dragon Z !
    I run two times, "Dark Mist, All" was suprisingly cancled... "The light is blinding" or something like that he said. Then i got through my team and saw that noone was using lighting dmg.

It sounds insane, but don' t use lightning and run with any team! Try photon dmg.

19. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

This encounter is very easy with my team

Invincible^
    Jaguna^
    Shin'en^
    Leviathan^
    Bahamut^
    Nia^

Most or all have photon otomo equipped.

The boss has a pattern:
    Column attack
    Column attack
    Area 2 attack and sleep attack

When life gets low and he gathers energy, the next attack is a strong dark attack to all characters. Nia^ dies to this attack but everyone else survives.

If you have sufficient photon otomo and power point then you can probably double pincer the boss on the first two turns for a kill. This is what I usually do. If your DPS is lower then you should avoid the area2 attacks on third turn and then continue to DPS.

I'm farming shaplar OII, have gotten 4 so far.

20. mudamuda

mudamuda Member

I wish I had some Holy Dragon otomo to do that with but I never got around to farming IRD yet... I do have Peyrna now which should make things way easier, but with all the farming for the events we've had I've completely put that on the back burner lol

But this is good info, darkness is weak against both lightning and photon so I guess using either is enough to blind Lich so that he doesn't use his attack.