Order of Operations and Its Uses-A User Friendly Guide to Maximizing Turns

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Kilroy512, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Kilroy512

Kilroy512 New Member

This is sort of a complex topic to describe in text but I'll try to keep it plain so that new players can understand it. I am creating this guide because I had (and still have) some holes in my knowledge of how order of operations works in Terra Battle. Bear with me and I promise that new players and most veterans alike will learn something useful by the end.

(Disclaimer: My knowledge on this subject is not complete and I will mark any areas where I don't fully understand what occurs. If you have useful information to add please feel free to post and I will add it.)

What do I mean by order of operations? Order of operations is simply the method the game uses to decide which units are going to activate and in what order. All of us should hopefully have a baseline understanding of this if we have played the game even for a small amount of time, however truly understanding it will lead to extreme spikes in potency of our play.

Currently my understanding of the order of operations of the game indicates that it breaks down into 3 observable segments that happen in order:

1) The order in which pincers activate
    2) The order in which units within a pincer activate
    3) The order in which specific abilities activate (including companion abilities)

1) The order in which pincers activate

First we need to understand the order in which pincers activate. If the unit that you directly move ends in one or more pincers, one of those pincers will activate first with the following priority:
    1. Pincers lead by mover before others.
    2. Horizontal before vertical before corners.
    3. Bottom before top.
    4. Left before right.

If the moving unit ends while not leading a pincer the order simply jumps to choosing pincers based on the generic logic listed above.

At this point you are probably asking yourself why this is useful. The answer is a bit more complex, but I think a common example should clear things up. Bellow are two examples using the same team, but tweaking the order in which their pincers activate. These may seem familiar if you are a long term player.

Key: (assumes that all units have 100% SB or P)
    T-One of the physical trinity units that has access to 1.5xphysical damage (Bahl, Snaip, or Macuri)
    M-Moved unit
    O-Other unit
    B-Boss

______
    _TBBM_
    _TBBO_
    ______

When the units are arranged in this fashion the top row will trigger first causing both trinity units to gain a 1.5xdamage buff and attack and then causing the second row to trigger with similar effect. The net result is one trinity attack with one buff, then one attack with two buffs. The net result is 4.5*damage total with both trinity units having two buffs.

______
    _OBBM_
    _TBBT_
    ______

In this case the rows trigger in the same order, top then bottom, however in the first attack neither trinity units attack and both get one buff. On the second attack, both trinity units attack with two buffs each. The net result is 6*damage total for a net 33% damage increase for the trinity units overall damage. This can be applied to almost all units with offensive stat buffs and even defensive buffs in niche cases. (such as fighting units with counter) It can also be rotated around the unit as needed as long as the units trigger in the same order.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    doodootron, lynx and Lucida like this.
  2. Kilroy512

Kilroy512 New Member

2) The order in which units within a pincer activate

Next we need to cover the order of activation for units in a pincer once it activates and how that can be useful.

The first units to activate in a pincer are always the "leaders" of the pincer. In other words, they are the ones touching the monster on both sides. Every effect that those units have, including the effects of their companions, will trigger first.

After this first step things get a bit wild as all of the other units involved in the pincer trigger there effects. The order of these attacks is complicated to the point of being impractical to plan around, but the simplified version is that units closer to the leaders of any pincer go before those further away.

It is also worth noting that negative life values are not tracked so any damage that puts an enemy bellow 0 life is not taken into account if healing occurs later in the turn. For instance, if a unit with 5000 life is hit for 6000 and then later in the same pincer is healed for 1000 the unit will survive with 1000 life remaining even though more than enough damage was done to kill it.

These principles can be used to great effect. One specific example for anyone who has Seiryu (or other sources of shadowbind) is useful for maximizing your exp/run in Metal Zone 6. To do this you simply need Seiryu, a mage, (one of the four main mages works well but any significant aoe will do) and as many leeches as you can carry. (you can use more than one mage if you don't have a mage strong enough to solo carry)

Key: (assumes maxed SB on any source of shadowbind or P)
    S-Shadowbind unit
    M-Mage
    L-Leech
    O-Metal Orbling
    X-Pesky Metal Mirror :p

______
    _LSX__
    _O____
    _M____
    ______

In this case the mage and the leech trigger first causing no damage to the mirror and then binding it. Afterwards Seiryu triggers leaving a smug looking mirror shadowbound mirror that laughs at your exp multiplier. (at a base exp value of 17,140 each multiplier lost this way is a huge hit to overall exp gains)

This formation is not ideal for experience assuming you would otherwise kill the mirror, but can be used to shadowbind mirrors or even runners that are further away from the bulk of your pincer or out of the kill-zone that may otherwise escape.

______
    _LMX__
    _O____
    _S____
    ______

In this second example Seiryu triggers first applying shadowbind to the mirror, then the mage triggers killing both metal monsters. (assuming enough damage is done by the splash) This technique can be applied in any number of situations if you adapt it properly, including MZ7 if you swap to a source of icebind instead of shadowbind.

One way that I used it while leveling, for instance, was always using Jennish as my pincer leader during the segment of the game in which many of the enemies absorbed lightning damage. This forced all of the healing he did to enemy units to happen before the majority of my other units did their damage allowing all but one unit to apply its full damage to all of the enemies. (if he was included in a pincer as part of the chain he would simply heal all of the obsorbers to full by the end of the round)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. Kilroy512

Kilroy512 New Member

3) The order in which specific abilities activate (including companion abilities)

I must admit that right now I don't know that much about this topic, but the order of buffs is an important subject as outlined at the end of the first post and a few other niche uses also exist. The one thing I have observed with some degree of certainty is that companions seems to always activate after all other abilities.

One of the main ones that I have been contending with is a nearly identical situation to the shadowbind example given above in which I use the King companion rather than Seiryu. (since I prefer to use Schweiz for movement) In this case (depending on the order of operations which I don't know yet) Seiryu is able to hurt the mirrors that he shadowbinds whereas Schweiz can't using King. (baring the ocassional lucky hit since they are not fully immune to physical damage)

Sources:

In depth guide created by Cel (http://terrabattleforum.com/threads/guide-order-of-operations-in-pincer-attacks.5456/) used for fact checking after the guide was written. Thank you to TrueShadow for bringing it to my attention.

cjguitarman

4. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Active Member

5. Kilroy512

Kilroy512 New Member

Ah, thank you. Hopefully this will provide another perspective.

Edit: Fixed main posts to provide credit to Cel who created a similar guide.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  6. Alens

Alens New Member

When fighting with the Trinity^ characters, the order of the attacks in their slots is relevant?
    I mean, should I place Attack +10% and Physical Damage x1.5 in the first two slots, or do that kind of buffs always trigger first regardless of their position?

How about skills like Defense Dragon -20%? Nerfs should be in the top slot so damage is deal after the nerf is activated?

7. Isuldew

Isuldew New Member

I read somewhere that buffs and debuffs get applied first no matter where they are positioned. So no need to worry about placement of buffs XD

8. Kilroy512

Kilroy512 New Member

I mentioned it in the second section, but if you are doing a 4 person surround on a boss you should aim for your physical attackers to be in the second pincer. That's really the only time that order matters for physical attackers. (that I can think of anyways)

9. 64bit

64bit Member

Buffs activate first, but debuffs activate at the same time as attack skills. Make sure your debuffs are above your attacks.

10. Alens

Alens New Member

Thanks for the reply. There's actually an animation on the enemy for the debuff, so that's what I thought.

11. cjguitarman

cjguitarman Active Member

It's bottom before top.

Pincer Priorities:
    1. Pincers lead by mover before others.
    2. Horizontal before vertical before corners.
    3. Bottom before top.
    4. Left before right.
    Native job skills activate before skills equipped in the flexible slots. So if you use Seiryu in job 1, shadowbind activates before any of the magic attacks you put in his flexible skill slots.

12. Kilroy512

Kilroy512 New Member

Ty for the info, I'll update the guide.

13. BambY

BambY Active Member

The way seiryu debuff "freeze" enemy have change a few patch ago in order to be "sooner" to help killing the mirror ....(like a few month ago)...
    I dont remember if anything change along with it, but we cannot consider this like a permanent behavior in TB

14. turbster

turbster New Member

That's not the optimal pincer because S activates second in the pincer thus freezes X only after L proc'ed. The right way to do it is
    ______
    _LMX__
    _O____
    _S____
    ______

L and M can be switched depending on the skills of L

15. turbster

turbster New Member

That's not the optimal pincer because S activates second in the pincer thus freezes X only after L proc'ed. The right way to do it is
    ______
    _LMX__
    _O____
    _S____
    ______

L and M can be switched depending on the skills of L. That's because the proc order is bottom to top, see cjs post