[SURVEY] TBF PvP Tournaments

Discussion in 'General' started by Silver Mitsuki, Nov 7, 2016.

Would you take part to a PvP Event with "fair rules" on TBF?

1. Yes. I'd like/love it!

29.7%
  2. Yes, but I'll probably be too busy (IRL problems, hard working schedules, ... ) to take part of it

47.3%
  3. No, I don't like it

1.1%
  4. No, I don't like PvP and I'm sure I won't like it even with the rules discussed on this thread

6.6%
  5. Yes, but I won't take part to it because I'm lazy, tsun or have a social life (no serious reason)

15.4%
  1. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    So... Since this post was a little too confusing I decided to clean it a little; the old and longer version can be found under the "Original Post" spoiler tag.

If you voted "Yes, but I won't probably manage to take part of it", please, change your vote if the reason is not "a serious one" that actually prevents you from joining.

I'll go straight to the point: I'd like to know what do you think about making a series of unofficial PvP tournaments with custom rules about what units/companions can be used and so on, in order to give it a balance and enjoy this play mode without the constant fear of facing "cheaters" (those who will benefit this the most are casual gamers and new players).

I was also thinking about adding some prizes for grabs.

It doesn't matter if you play since the game came out or you just started: if you have a suggestion, I ask you to reply to this thread :)

I'm doing my best to organize this, but I need at least a little of help from you, at least to know if you would like to take part of it!

Cast a vote on the Poll on top of this post,

users can change their vote anytime

*** For Beginners - How PvP on Terra Battle works ***

• This play mode is available only during specific events, meaning that you can't play it anytime: usually, we have a PvP event every 20-40 days starting on Friday/6AM UTC and ending one week later on Saturday/12AM (midnight) UTC (on daily reset).
    • Once the PvP Event has ended, is still possible to play private matches for 2 more days, until Monday/12AM UTC; after this date, the PvP menu becomes unaccessable until a new PvP cup starts.
    • Every player, indifferently from their skills, is initially placed on the B league (that caps their units' level to 25); by winning games, they gain points that, eventually, will allow them to reach the A (lv65 cap) and the S (no level cap) leagues.
    • Even without taking part to the event, is possible to host a private match with anyone on any League (B, A and S).
    • More information can be found on the wiki.

*** For Everybody - The problems ***

• Competitive players don't want to focus on both public and private PvP during the "PvP week"
    • Many might be busy during the weekend (after the public PvP tournament has ended)
    • People play on different timezones and might be busy (I mean, really busy, like working all day and stuff) even during the weekend.
    *** Possible Solution ***
    • Split up in Teams; again, if you have other suggestions I'm listening :)
    *** Balance the Game ***
    • I was thinking about giving to each unit and companion, based on their class (Z, SS, S, A, B, C, D), stats, skills or whatever some points;
    • For example, having 20 points "available" to make a team players should think if a 3 points worth Burbaba is a wiser choice than a 6 points worth Ma'curi;
    • Casual players with low SB units and few units will get handicaps;
    • Other examples of rules can be found under the "Original Post" spoiler tag.

EDIT:
    :greet: TBF Community

So... I randomly asked this a couple of times over the past year and never received the broad support I expected, but now that many (especially "cheaters") gave up on PvP and the recent nerfs made the community a lot less saltier I feel like is time for me to try again:

One of the reason I kept playing Terra Battle is the Community: every event (Jade Dragon, The Last Story, The Captive Golem, ... ) has its own "rules" and TBF helps everybody to enjoy the content more by providing tips, guides and, overall, a big help, but PvP works in a different way from the rest of the game: experienced players can't help the novices by lending their units as they would do on a Co-op Stage, and being forced to face dozen of 100% SB teams full of Z class units in B league surely doesn't help them to enjoy this play mode more.

What I have in mind is to start doing some "private" tournaments on TBF every time a new PvP Cup comes back, defining specific rules for every tournament in addition to those set by Mistwalker (higher stats for Machines during the Battlebot cup and so on, you find the complete list on the wiki): I open this thread to know what do you think about this idea, and what basic rules would you like to play with.

Both veterans and new players are invited to reply to this thread, so that we can figure out what the best way to make this play mode more enjoyable for all of us might be :)

*** For Beginners ***

As you can read on the Wiki, the PvP play mode is available only during a specific event, meaning that you can't play it anytime.

Every player, indifferently from their skills, is initially placed on the B league (that caps their units' level to 25); by winning games, they gain points that, eventually, will allow them to reach the A (lv65 cap) and the S (no level cap) leagues.

Usually, a cup starts on Friday/6AM UTC and ends one week later on Saturday/12AM (midnight) UTC (on daily reset), allowing players to host all the private matches they want in the meantime.

Once the PvP Event has ended, is still possible to play private matches for 2 more days, until Monday/12AM UTC; after this date, the PvP menu becomes unaccessable until a new PvP cup starts.

*** For Everybody ***

Competitive players (might) find a little stressful keeping their score high and playing more matches they actually "need" during the "PvP week", reason why I was thinking about taking advantage of the weekend for playing most of the matches.

I was also thinking about placing a couple of prizes for grabs, one of them randomly awarded to any player who won at least a match or something, in order to tempt the less experienced users to take part to the brawl, but I won't say more right now, let's focus on what the rules might be.

*** Examples of Rules ***
    • No Lamia Eidolon. Chaos might also be banned.
    • Give every unit a "weight"
      • players might have something like "20 points" at disposal
      • Z class characters might weight 10 points each, SS 8, S 6, A 4, B 3 and C 2 and D nothing. Lambda Characters might cost 50% more
      • on this way players might both build a strong team with few adventurers or a weak team of 6 units
      • weight might also be calculated by taking into account the skills and stats every unit has at a given level, making characters like Bahl more "affordable" when playing a match on a B league, where her Phys DMG x1.5 buff is sealed.
      • during specific tournaments, some units might be banned, or their cost might be increased (I'm pretty tired of all those A'misandra teams on both Junior and Lizardfolk cups, and there's no way I'm giving Ma'curi the same weight as Jaguna)
    • No White Orbling, nor any other special Companion that gives an unfair advantage over those who started playing recently
      • Many of us payed for it, but... c'mon, Olber and Olber Λ with a WO each is ridiculus
      • Xerxes and Eir Eidolons are ok... I guess? Same thing for Yulia and friends
      • We might even adopt a point system also for companions, in order to make impossible to have a set of Peta/WO
    • No Companions allowed
    • Only Monsters allowed
    • Every battle must be found using a different team (not very noob-friendly)
    • Random Teams for every battle
    • No Status teams (I find status pretty interesting to be honest, but I'm listing some possible rules)
    • No Summons allowed (in order to have more time to both think and make our fingers to rest :p )
    • No walling out P2
    • No excuses for "having a bad connection" :p
      • of course, players will be free to play again a match if they aren't satisfied by the outcome
    • more: please, suggest :)

Keep in mind that some players might have started playing only recently and have only few units / companions, for this reason might not be a good idea to ban all the S class units or higher, nor every "lambda" character.

"Tera" weapons (Apollo and Gungnir, so far) were also available in Trading Post, and I expect for Excalibur, Storm Spirit and many other to follow, so I guess it wouldn't be totally fair to completely banish them.

• Given the short duration of the B league matches and the little variety of choice for skills I'd propose to make all the matches to be fought on the A league (level cap 65);
    • Players might also settle a fight on the B or S league if they wish.
    • I was also thinking about doing a "everybody against everybody" during the middle of the "PvP week" to decide who will take part to the finals;
    • Finals will be fought on the S league;
    • To enter the finals, players have to win at least X matches;
    • I'd love to see some players recording their matches :p
    The requirements to take part to the Tournament is to have few posts written on terrabattleforum ot being an old-time member of the community, the TBF Staff will annunce the requisites later on.

So... What do you think? :)

Would you take part to an event like this? Are you afraid of not having enough time to play or that playing under different timezones might be an issue for you?

Before commenting, please, reply to the poll on top of the thread, so that I can estimate how many players would take part to a tournament :)

Users can change their vote anytime

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Elelyon, Hayden, Zabel and 2 others like this.
  2. Umowoïs

Umowoïs Well-Known Member

Medals:
    We did play this kind of community tournament in the french speaking Line community and it was fun (much more than the official one).

One important rule IMO is that every fight must have 2 rounds in order that each opponent would be P1 once and P2 once. The outcome can be W/L, L/W or draw during the pool phase. You can have as much couple of rounds as necessary during the finals.

3. Wildarm

Wildarm Active Member

I like the concept of it. The actual logistics might be harder. Due to the international nature of the forum, some folks may have an easier time finding folks to play against. Also love that you could play as P1 and then P2. Makes a big difference in the balance of PvP. Some of the rules that drag on PvP in certain leagues(first to summon Lamia, Walling, etc) could be mitigated too. Main thing is you need to record the fight and have someone adjudicate if there is a rules infraction during the match.

cjguitarman likes this.
  4. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    Thought about that too but I forgot to mention it; by browsing the old threads I saw that @andr3174 already set up a little tournament on TBF when Ami Cup #1 was still on, but I'm not sure about what users thought about it (if they liked it, had problems settling the matches, and so on), I'd like to know more from the Community if this is actually something of doable, and discovering how many would like to take part to one is the first step.

5. chomiak

chomiak Active Member

Too harsh rules. According to them, taking lambda Z character takes 15 points which makes it impossible to form anything worthwhile using them.
    The post needs a cleanup. There's no need to complain about WO.
    "No Companions allowed" - I prefer limiting companions to rank. A and B ones are perfectly fine.
    Reducing amount of powerful hitters like trinity recodes can and will result in turtle scenarios like korin^ defence stacking.

6. andr3174

andr3174 Active Member

2 matches so each player gets to be P1 once in case of one win on each side the player that got more units alive at the end get the win?

7. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    Yes, 15/20 points only for a Z recode are a lot, but
    1. The "weight system" is just one of the possible rules
    2. Units like Amazora Λ and Alika Λ won't have the same "weight" of Gegonago Λ and Shin'en Λ
    This Bruiser Cup feels like (to me, at least) a race to oneshot the opponent's DPS, and if you don't have at least a couple of them you are probably going to lose. I don't want people to be cut off because they don't have them.
    And if you are scared of units like Korin(Λ) then kill them first: the reason why I mentioned a "point" system is to limit the number of lambdas, healers OP and so on, making the PvP fights shorter.
    Agree. Writing long posts is a bad habit of mine.

8. limitbereaker

limitbereaker Active Member

I like this idea .
    Would also suggest team PvP so we can determine who the best forum players . Since TB international and ppl play at different time you can give members who want to take part with a team badge.
    Obviously dreydus jeba eleyon can't be in same team. Maybe make them team leaders.
    Every now and than the event organizer can call out in chat a team battle and who ever online or nominate themselves have a chance to win pts for the team.
    In the end of the PvP event, players can wear a TB forum PvP exclusive current champion badge .

9. PrivateYarrick

PrivateYarrick New Member

I´d love to partake on this tournament, and it´ll give me a more competitive edge, facing off against hordes of recoded characters can be a little bit repetitive haha

10. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    Anyway, what do you think about the idea of using a "points system" to limit the number of units on each team?
    We might take into account @Arkan's top DPS table and every unit's stats to define how much they should cost to keep everything more linear; do you have other ideas on how to balance the fights?

What companions should be used? chomiak proposed to use only A and B ones, but this would cut off all the statuses (and players without many companions - but with one or two gold ones - might have some problem :S ), and I don't like it that much >.<

Even if I like more the idea of keeping everybody's score separated, I like limit's idea to work in teams (there are already several votes on "Yes, but the chances I won't be able to take part of it are high", this might actually be a solution for many :3 )

We might also keep 2 different boards, one for single player and one for teams, but I don't think many have enough patience to play that much xD

11. PrivateYarrick

PrivateYarrick New Member

Hmmm, i like the Point system idea, and i think that assigning a point value to companions is a fairly good way of dealing with the problem. That way, if you want to bet all on a single Z class with a deluxe pacifier, you have to include monsters as the rest of your party, or something like that

12. Kindren

Kindren Member

This might be the most interesting idea so far. I would personally take this a step further and go by Mahjong team tournament rules. Make a team of 5, and every team gets a starting point value of half of how many games they will have to play. The teams themselves pick the order in which their team plays and every member has to play one round against every other team. If you win, you gain a point for your team, if you lose, you lose a point for your team.

For example: Say the tournament has 20 participants, and the captains are myself, Jeba, Drey, And Elelyon each with 4 other players on our team. There will be a total of 15 rounds a team will have to play, so their starting points are 7. For our first round my team sends our person A, Dreys sends his person B, Jeba sends his person C, and Elelyon (who wants to sweep the first round) sends himself. Elelyon succeeds on the sweep, so after the first round Elelyon's team has 10 points, Drey's players beats mine but lost to Elelyon's and Jeba's so their team has 6 points, Jeba's team lost to Elelyon but won against me and Drey so has 8 points, and my player lost them all so my team has 4 points.

You can't reuse players, so my person A, Drey's person B, Jeba's person C, and Elelyon are done with the tournament and get to watch the rest of their team's matches from the sideline. After players have played their 3 battles, we tabulate the final point amount for the teams, and whoever has the most points win. Lets say every round went the same as the first round: My team has -8 points by the end of the tournament (cause we lost every battle), Drey's has 2 points, Jeba's has 12 points, and Elelyon's has 22 points. Elelyon's team wins the tournament.

You can ramp up the number of battles, of course (2 battles per round so that each player gets a 1p and 2p). Just make sure to ramp up the starting point total also (30 total battles would equal 15 starting points). You can add whatever other rules you want to it, but I think that would be the most interesting sort of tournament. In this format, you could talk to your team about optimal party builds, and have a little strategy in trying to set your team member in a round where they will perform the best.

Edit: I would also like to point out that you wouldn't necessarily have to follow the global rules for the individual rounds. You could make every round of the tournament have different rules. You could make the first round have nothing but magic teams, the second round be nothing but B class characters, third round be S cup anything goes, fourth be a kids cup round, and fifth be a female characters only round. That would add even more strategy in placing players into their most effective battle style.

Edit 2: One more point I'd like to make. Even though I call them "rounds," because this is a point based system, you don't technically have to play the rounds in order. You can set up the rules of the round, and which players are playing in that round, then tell the players that they have until the end of the week to battle the other players in the round and send a video to an impartial judge.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  13. White Mage

White Mage Well-Known Member

Medals:
    I like the idea and would probably participate in it. Maybe.

14. cjguitarman

cjguitarman Active Member

These are some great ideas. I might be too lazy to get as complicated as point values for characters and otomos, etc. But perhaps that is just a personal problem. :p

15. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    A question to those who replied to the poll saying they wouldn't probably take part to the tournament (hoping that someone of them visits this thread): why?

Is because of your work/study taking you too much time? Having so little time to play a tournament? Are too "stressed" to play more PvP after reaching the top 50?

16. Kindren

Kindren Member

For me, it's because there was no 'maybe' option. It would be dependent upon what the rules would be, what are the prizes are, and just if I feel like playing in a pvp tournament. I'm not much of a competitive person to begin with, so it will take something the piques my interest for me to actually want to participate.

Silver Mitsuki likes this.
  17. lynx

lynx Active Member

I voted yes because I really really love your ideas and effort to make PvP better for everyone.
    I, however, most likely wouldn't participate, mainly because I usually have to be on call.

There were many times that I had to leave mid-game to deal with some works.
    While, they were easy wins for my opponents, I imagine they were not fun for them.

So, I don't want to ruin anyone PvP experience by participating.

18. Wiitard

Wiitard Member

Personally I love this idea of a community made tourney to add some fun into it, as much as I would love to take part in it I'm not on a computer much to do so,

my phone is what I use for most of my communication for so starting and restarting terra seems like a pain in its self, but would be interesting to see who came out on top,

19. Ylumenas

Ylumenas New Member

Yup my working hours aren't really set to 8h (probably longer most days :dead: )a day but I find time to TB everyday at irregular hours :)

20. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    I see... thank you all for your answers :)

As I though, many play Terra Battle mainly because of its portable nature and not only aren't able to play exclusively in few moment of the day, but even can't access a computer at the same time (although, I imagined the numbers being a little smaller).

@Kindren I didn't add a "maybe" option because I was more focused on understanding if users would have enjoyed this kind of event (so, your answer "should" fall in the "I like it" category), and the reason why I added the "I'd like it but I probably can't" choice was to know how many users wouldn't join because of work and their hard schedules.

Anyway, a "maybe" option is more than reasonable and I fully understand that my post wasn't clear enough: I'll add this option right now and, as soon as I can, I'll clean the post :)