Yet Another Squad Help Thread

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by PastRaven, Jan 3, 2017.

1. PastRaven

PastRaven New Member

I've been playing TB for quite some time. And while i feel I've had a lot of success overall, much of it has felt like the end result of lucky breaks, or blind persistence.

Characters Sorted by Rarity:
    'Z'
    - Zerro /\, Mizell /\, Camellia /\, Lucia /\, Invincible /\, Jaguna /\, Suoh /\, Seiryu, Mutoh /\, Shin'en /\, Amina /\, Odin /\, Leviathan /\, Bahamut /\
    'SS'
    - Koko, Clara, Daiana /\, Gaiga, Nia, Sheena
    'S'
    - Echo, Lunato, Bahl /\, Pupropé, Zael, Calista, Y'apkar, Palpa

(Bunch of A/B)

I've tried many configurations but i just cant seem to get any teams that have good chemistry with each other. I've been having little luck ranking in the weekly challenges, and I've never won a single pvp match despite trying xD

Simply put it would be nice if someone could explain what characters i'm missing, who i should focus on maxing bonus on, good combinations of characters i own, situational or otherwise.

Also some advice on companions would be nice as I've stocked up a great many of the shinier looking ones now (Peyrna sword, holy/axion dragon, etc), but they often seem to have little real impact on my overall performance.

- Thanks!

2. yka

yka Member

Wow! Those are pretty good characters!

I think you're missing some physical units as many of your high class units are mages; You should definetly add Bahl^ to your team, Suoh^ and Odin^ are good ones too. Also if you have Ma'curi or S'naip they are splendid ones, actually S'naip^ it's a magnificent character, as good as Bahl^(Or even better).
    Mizell^ and Mutoh have high magic attack, I'd add them to the team as well. Finally a healer, Amina^.
    For Weekly challenges you don't need a full team of the strongest characters you have to be successful, you need a strategy! Watch the replay of the 1st player at the Top 50 so you can get an idea :)
    For companions I tend to use Celestial Envoy a lot, since it's gigasword, Area(1) and they were easy to farm. :p

Hope this helps you a little!
    PD: I'm still impressed that you beat Mutoh without a single proton character x'DDD

3. Guaparrón

Guaparrón Active Member

You skipped the B/A characters and you'll find there some of the best units. For instance, the holy trinity (yka told you about them): Ma'curi, S'naip and Bahl. They were the strongest physical characters in the game, although they are glass cannons. Now you have their recodes (not Ma'curi's yet).

For Weekly challenges a 70%SB Shin'en can easily clear a lot of the stages with his Energy rataliation, All, him and Z mages and other physical units with AoE are the key to success. Also remember: the less units, the less time spent. You may not need 6 units for most of the Weekly challenges, casting all skills consume a lot of time.
    Also try to avoid healers, the healing animations are a waste of time.

I can't help you with PvP.

4. Loner

Loner Active Member

Off topic but if they are all the characters you have now, I really want to know how can you get Mutoh while only have one magic tapper and zero photon users. And I don't think you went the physical route with zero physical tappers and not enough heavy DPS. Even Shin'en seems impossible to me.

5. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

Much of this game's end game content is all about creating specialized teams from a variety of characters. If you challenge Odin you'll need lots of bow units. If you challenge Kraken Kino you'll need swords. If you challenge Leviathan you'll fire and a little ice. To that end there is no single party to rule them all. You need to be able to diversify so it's better to list characters and their strengths/weaknesses.

Characters

Silver/Golden Trinity
    - Silver consists of Ma'curi, Bahl and Sn'aip while Golden consists of Bahl^ and Sn'aip^ for now. These are the hardest hitting physical attackers in the game. Job 2, lv 65 skill Physical damage x1.5 stacks up to 5 times and is independent of the physical attack. That means at 5 stacks they're doing an extra 2.5x damage on top of their base attack value and the bonus for the circle of Carnage. They're so strong that Bahl^ even tears Odin apart despite being weak against spears.

Mizell^ - Basically the strongest mage in the game due to non-elemental attacks, high matk and Augment Magic. Alone she causes massive damage, but with a full team of mages she's basically a "I win" button for most battles.

Core Z Mages - Zerro^, Jennish^, Lewto^, Piz'fer^ - Originally the best mages in the game they're are now starting to get overshadowed or matched by other recodes, but they're still very good.

BLO - Bahamut, Leviathan, Odin - Baha and Levi are solid fire/ice units and Odin is still one of the best spear units (and there are plenty of spear units).

Healers - Amina^, Ami'sandra^, Kuscah, Sorman - The Amis are the best healers in the game while Kuscah and Sorman are respectable replacements. Each healer has Heal, All and healing x1.5 which stacks (like the trinity). It makes healing way easier when you don't have to line up chains.

Palpa^ - Palpa is the second worst character in the game and one of the worst recodes except for her lv 80 skill, Augment Attack. Like Mizell's Augment Magic it works on physical damage instead and it works on top of the Trinity's physical damage x1.5 skills. I've seen Bahl hit for 50k+ using taps and stacks of PD x1.5.

PoF/PoFoF - Invincible^, Suoh^, Camillia^, Jaguna^, Lich^, Marilith^, Seiryu - Invincible^ is very strong, Suoh^ is a 'weaker' trinity character, Seiryu is a necessary for MZ6, Jaguna^ is a very versatile character, Camillia^ is ok and Marilith^/Lich^ are weak, but they can all reach l100 either naturally or with a single recode (and some extra luck grinding). They're all decent characters and can carry you through all the Kino/8-bits for maximum TP/Companion farming and they can even be used to kill IDK for better PDZ farming (with some prep).

In addition many A/B characters have strong recodes like A'merpact and Daiana. It's a good idea to not dismiss them so easily.

Weekly Challenge
    The name of the game is AoE damage with the least amount of skill activation as you can manage since each skill takes up precious seconds. My team almost always consists of Bahamut, Leviathan, Odin, a levitator and as many z mages as I can fit. Lacking the z mages you can fill in gaps with any high aoe characters like Invincible^. I equip all my mages with Sorcerer's Shields or Mogs/Bewitching bows and Odin with Earth Swords or Skullsplitters. The shield/sword at max level grants 60 matk and 80 atk respectively. At lower levels that can be over 50% more than that level would normally have. Add to that the Z character's normally high stats and you can one shot most enemies with a single AoE attack even if its a rank 1 skill. I equip each character with their cross/column/row skills in slots 1 and 2 since the level synching will usually restrict slots 3 and 4. With all that AoE and attack values it's just a matter of practicing the stage a few times to memorize where the next adds will spawn so you can position your characters to hit them with their AoE skills. I usually rank between 1k-3k each weak with this setup.

PVP
    Oh bother. I hate PvP in this game, but I get it... for the most part. Each cup can be vastly different depending on the rules in place, but the general idea is to use your strongest units with an emphasis on physical since magic has been greatly 'nerfed' in PvP (but the PD x1.5 is still OP). Outside of the cup rules there are a few 'key' characters that can make your life easier. Companions can also make a huge difference.

Trinity - Again, the damage buff stacks and with Celestial Envoys and good placement they can eliminate several enemy units in a double pincer.
    Gego^ - Stealth is so broken it can be extremely aggravating. In some cups, where there's a a strong NPC presence, movement will be restricted due to their placement and randomizing skills which can prevent pincers. Gego^ laughs heartily and lets you pincer as much as you want anyway.
    Z Mages - Again, magic doesn't do as much damage and there is no Magic Damage x1.5 so mages can't rack up the damage as much as the Trinity, but there's enough AoE that it can still hurt bad. The core Z mages each have a self revive so you can get a second chance with many of them.
    Ami^ - Both Ami^ healers have the skill Extend Chain which allows you to... extend your chain. Seems benign but an Ami^ in a chain will also chain with whoever is in line of site of them. This can help tremendously if you're lacking Gego^.
    Rejin^/Bonna^ - Ok so both characters have been nerfed since Shadowbind and Petrify had their affliction rates reduced, but Rejin^ still has three, 3 column status effect skills and Bonna^ also has three skills (but two are petrify). Bonna^ has lots of AoE damage and CT +4 sec as well if you're lacking Gego^.
    Koko^ - Better than Sam^ in PVP since she's a bit more durable despite having lower damage output. On top of that she's a fire unit so Axion Dragons won't do as much damage on her. A good mover alternative

Companions
    Celestial Envoy
    - 2x area (1) physical damage. Equip these to a Trinity character and position them for a double pincer and you can take out many characters in a single turn.
    Axion/Holy Dragons - 3.5 Gravity/Photon damage to an area (1)... I'm not sure why MW made these farmable while the other elements are in the CoT (and not area 1), but use if you have them.
    Whitewyrm Wand - Teraheal, Chain - An excellent companion for Gego^ to add more versatility to already controversial character.
    Skullsplitter/Bewitching Bow/Mog - SS for phsyical characters and Mog/BB for magic users. More damage is usually better than more defense
    Shadowy Rod - HP +20% is a big boost for some characters and can make others nearly impossible to kill without a double pincer. Usually reserved for healers and status inducing characters.

PvP is better than it used to be, but you'll most likely still find yourself losing a party of Trinity characters with Gego especially if your second player.

yka likes this.
  6. PastRaven

PastRaven New Member

Lots of very detailed responses, amazing. especially from LegendaryFrog.

This leads me to more questions though naturally. but first i'll answer what i can from the thread:-
    Missing Character details:
    'A-C?'

- Eileen, Maralme, Pahrl, Kem, Manmer, Kana, Velraine, Ka'pori, R'zonand, Nakupi, Ra'prow, Amazora, Kuscah, U'nasag, Gigajago, Zenzoze, Zan, Sorman, Ba'Gunar, Grace

I also have the Lich and Marilith mentioned.

Mutoh:
    I was using some of 6x Holy Dragon Z, though i think i was also using something that removed the little swirly things on the ground too. I tried several parties from the forums here most of which i had to fill in the gaps as i didn't have everyone, as well as copying some youtube videos.

Notable Companions:
    - 6x Holy Dragon Z, 1x Axion Dragon Z, Peyrna Sword, Bow of Genjii, 2x Staff of Apollo, Staff of Poseidon, 2x Holy Dragon, 2x Axion Dragon, King, Orichalcum Sword, 2x Samantha, 4x Yukken,
    This is just a list of ones i've been using, i have 500 companions i doubt you want me to list them all. I seem to be lacky any Celestial Envoy from the Last Story event, Whitewyrm Wand, Skullsplitter/bewitching/mog.
    I do seem to have 2x Shadowy Rod, and i've been looking into getting 'Mog' from the current event, should i make that a priority, and should i get more than one?
    Also i have a bunch of the character specific equipments like Grace O II, Nia I II, Bahl O III, and so forth, but many of them seem kind of task specific? or are there some that are good outside of small niches?

Character Questions:
    There's this terminology about Balh /\'s 1.5x damage move stacking mentioned a few times in this thread and others i've read but what i don't quite understand is this. Does stacking mean i have to get multiple characters with the ability, does simply using the ability multiple times cause stacking, or do you mean stacking with other abilities, such as the Peynra sword, or peynra's herself's taps?
    Given i don't have Ma'curi or Snaip, or celestial dragons, should i be doing this?
    I've heard Bonna and Gatz mentioned a lot but as of yet i lack those two.

7. chomiak

chomiak Active Member

Since you've already received lots of advices I'll limit myself to PVP. In this league I managed to ge to S without significant effort using rather weak mages compared to what you already have(baha, levi, seiryuu etc)
    So I can't say I agree that magic is weak in PVP. The AOE coverage means that every unit has its damage output multiplied if enemy units are close to each other, while physical units have their damage mostly limited to lead pincers(notable exceptions - Snaip and Snaip^, Bahl^)
    Mutoh /\, Shin'en /\, Amina /\ Zerro /\, Mizell /\ Invincible /\ this would make a solid mage team, the second turn you make a move just start using mutoh taps and enemies will melt like butter especially that you have Dragon otomos

x1.5 dmg works similar to 10% ATK/MATK/DEF/MDEF self, except its vastly superior and is not capped(whereas boosting ATK has limits). Stacking means making unit participate in multiple pincers so it stays under effect of multiple x1.5 buffs resulting in tremendous increase in damage

Weekly Challenge
    For lower stages you can simply make 4 man team of Zerro Invi Mutoh Shinen, give Zerro Sorc Shield and you'll be able to easily stay withing top 5k. AOE damage of those units along with Shinen and his Energy Retaliation are just that good. You can watch videos from people high in ranking to find out good unit placement to clear the stage faster.
    Higher stages might require specific units(for example pizfer/levi for phoenix stage) in order to get all rewards but again, you can simply imitate people who managed to gave good timings by watching their videos in the ranking.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  8. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

Definitely get 6 Mogs, 6 Tonberries and at least 2 Ochus. The latter two are very easy to acquire and can help with PDK and SBing (if you're so inclined). Bow of Genji is better than CE against bosses, but CE is better for adds. The Staves have limited use - mostly the weekly challenge if you're lacking AoE - but can be helpful against certain bosses. The Dragons are better for day to day activities and PVP.

I never meant to imply it wasn't useful. I just know that the Meta usually calls for physical over magic due to the Trinity's buff.

9. yeezus

yeezus Active Member

I'm sorry, but would you mind going into more detail here? I'm seriously scratching my head wondering what team you could have used to get Mutoh^ with no photon attackers, no Gego, only 1 magic tapper, etc.

10. Hayden

Hayden Well-Known Member

It's simply impossible, for hard mode at least. Was probably an "easy mode" run, no need to look further. '^'

11. Loner

Loner Active Member

Easy mode would never drop the characters for her though...

yeezus likes this.