A General Guide to Gear

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Rosgath, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Rosgath

Rosgath Active Member

Hey guys, so I figured that since no one else has done it yet, I should. I'm going to be posting here specifically to answer a lot of questions I see on the forums and also to note general trends I see in gear and hopefully clarify how gear comes across here in Terra. So let's get started!

FIRST THINGS FIRST
    First I'll be going over what gear types there are and how they specifically benefit Characters/Guardians. We'll also go over some basic strategies for gearing out a character for what you want them to do.

Second I'll explain Gear class (ranks).

So first:

GEAR CLASSES
    Each character can equip 4 pieces of gear in addition to up to 4 companions. In order from left to right on the screen you can equip a main hand weapon, an off-hand weapon, a headpiece, and a chestpiece.

The main hand weapon grants full stats and is the primary weapon used to determine bonus area of effect for your skills. The weapon equipped here will most likely determine the primary role that you want that Guardian to fill in your party.

The off-hand weapon only grants 50% of as much attack (though defense are granted in full) and does not grant bonus are of effect normally. This weapon can help supplement your primary role, or you can use it to diversify your character.
    --Note 1: If you have Dual Wield, this weapon will grant 100% of it's bonus attack, but still will not grant area of effect.
    --Note 2: If you have Weapon Mastery, this weapon will grant bonus area of effect, but still only grant 50% attack/Mattack.
    --Note 3: If you have Dualhand, you may leave this weapon slot empty to gain double the bonus attack (but not magic attack) from your main hand weapon.
    --Note 4: Shields may only be equipped in your off-hand slot and cannot be equipped in your main hand slot.

Your headpiece is a secondary defensive item. While the bonuses from these are good, they aren't nearly as large as the bonuses gained from your chestpiece. That said, it is not uncommon to gain attack from this item slot whereas it is rare to find armor that grants bonus attack stats.

Chestpiece is your primary piece of equipment that grants HP, MP, Defense, and Magic Defense. Without a good chestpiece equipped, you can expect your characters to die frequently and quickly.

So now that we have what each slot is out of the way, lets dig into each type of gear. There are 11 types of gear. 7 types of gear that fit into weapon slots, and 4 that fit into headpiece/chestpiece slots. We'll go over weapon slot gear first as that's the more meaty part, then go over headpiece/chestpiece gear.

I like to divide the 7 types into 2 categories. The "circle of carnage" weapons, and the "class typing" weapons. "Circle of Carnage" weapons are Katanas, Spears, and Bows. "Class typing weapons" are Swords, Daggers, Staffs, and Shields.

"Circle of Carnage" weapons all generally grant a moderate amount of Attack (but little to no magic attack), but the reason I call them as above is because of how they grant bonus area of effect to your skills. Katanas will typically grant Horizontal/Row areas, Spears will typically grant Vertical/Column areas, and Bows usually grant cross/square areas (i.e. area(1), area(2) etc).

Class typing weapons are more about a specific function than the "Circle of Carnage" weapons. Swords exclusively (so far) grant enormous attack, but little to no bonus area of effect. Staves grant a variety of Areas, but grant the largest value of Magic attack of any weapon slot gear. Daggers are very much a 'jack of all trades' equipment, granting decent areas, and usually evenly split magic attack and attack. Shields are distinct from all other weapons in that they only grant defensive stats. They can, however, grant bonus passive skills like companions do (even if they don't say it anywhere on the equipment).

In headpiece slots we have hats and helms. Hats are more specifically oriented towards magic defense and magic attack. Helms, on the other hand, focus more on Physical attack and defense. This is more of a guideline though as there are helms that benefit all stats.

In chestpiece slots we have clothes and armor. Clothes (or threads) are primarily focused on Magic defense with armor being focused on defense. Both seem to have similar HP values with the biggest variable for HP/MP being in the class and level of the gear here.

So now that we know what each gear piece generally does, what are some strategies for equipping my characters? Armor is more on a fight by fight basis, so we'll focus on weapons primarily. Let's start with Healers.

Healers don't really need a lot of magic attack to hit the cap on their healing spells, so we don't need a really high magic attack, but attack doesn't really benefit them at all so their main weapon should ideally be a staff, but not your best one. As for off hand, shields are great on these guys. If your healer dies your entire party won't be far behind so keeping this guy alive is of paramount importance.

Warriors: Warriors are never going to want a staff equipped and only do we give them daggers if we don't have anything else. Warrior skills don't trigger in chain (only when they are pincering) and the area of effect of their skills is primarily focused around them so while large area of effects are nice if you can get them, warriors are best when they can focus down a single target and as such Swords are fantastic on them. If you do want area though, look for the right one. Bows will provide the most versatile area, but spear provide more actual area and katanas can be very useful in the right places.

Spellblades: Spellblades can really use any weapons, but you should probably shy away from shields on these guys unless you absolutely need more survivability on them. Focusing on pure physical attack or Magic attack is not actually the best way to go about equipping these guys. Because their skills deal 90% of as much damage as an equivalent mage or warrior skill, but trigger both magic and physical damage AND trigger in chain they benefit the most from large area weapons and more specifically, daggers. Daggers in both hands will have them hitting very frequently for moderate damage.
    The above said though, Most Spellblades have a different focus for RNA/DNA recodes. Take a look at each skill set and build your gear around the skill set they have (i.e. despite the fact that splitting magic and regular attack is usually optimal for spellblades, Samatha RNA has dual hand which makes her great for having just a really hefty sword in her main hand. On the other hand, Samatha DNA has Weapon Mastery which will let her get the most out of the areas of effect from 2 weapons.)

Mages: Mages are pretty straightforward. The biggest decision, I find, is picking which staff to use for your main hand and which for your off hand. If your guardian has Weapon Mastery, this is a no brainer. Always put the Higher magic Attack staff in your main hand as you will lose out on less overall magic attack. If you don't, go for the Area of effect that will most benefit you. For instance, if you have a Guardian that ONLY has Mega rank skills, it will do you no good to have a weapon in your main hand that grants area to Giga or Tera Rank skills. Usually you will want to place priority on higher rank skills having larger areas, but keep an eye on which rank each weapon affects for it's area. Which rank a weapon affects can also change as it is Unleashed (For instance, the second unleash of a Violet Staff changes it from affecting Giga rank skills to Tera Rank skills making it always off-hand for A and B class guardians who don't get any Tera rank skills).

GEAR RANKS
    So this is really more for reference than anything. Ranks are pretty straight forward. They go from B->A->S->SS->Z (Lowest to highest). While each successive increase in rarity also increases the general strength of the gear, a higher ranking piece of gear may not be your best in slot atm. Unleashing your gear is what allows you to get the most out of it and the following is how unleashing works:

Each piece of equipment, once it has reached it's current maximum level, can be Unleashed by combining another piece of the exact same gear of any level, raising it's maximum level by 10(or 11 in some cases).

B Rank gear caps at level 49 and can be unleashed once to raise it's cap to 60
    A Rank gear caps at level 49 and can be unleased twice to raise its cap to 59/70
    S Rank gear caps at level 49 and can be unleashed three times to raise it's cap to 59/69/80
    SS Rank gear caps at level 59 and can be unleashed three times to raise it's cap to 69/79/90
    Z rank gear caps at level 69 and can be unleashed three times to rais it's cap to 79/89/99

Unleashing a weapon will often change it's Area of effect (Though swords rarely do). Unleashing Shields will also increase the bonus passive effect they grant.

Aaaand that's all I got. If you have questions and or don't agree with my guide, feel free to post here.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM
  2. Lerick

Lerick New Member

Thank you very much for the nice guide.

I just unlocked double hand on Samatha RNA and was a bit confuse, now I know how to equip her :D

3. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

I'd argue that having a spellblade going full physical is a valid option. Because their attacks are chainable, they can do more damage against bosses. Furthermore, they have the flexibility of activating their skills wherever it is on the chain. Warriors AoE isn't flexible, limited by where the enemies are, but not spellblades.

4. Rosgath

Rosgath Active Member

It's true that they can be effective replacements for warriors, but you will get more actual damage out of them by splitting their attack and magic attack, which allows them to get full benefit from the very high weapon skill multipliers they have. You're losing half of that by only focusing on one stat or the other.

The downside is that in order to get a really competitive split between those stats, you need 2 daggers.

5. Akroma

Akroma Active Member

Nice guide! I was wondering : does an terra skill area of effect only works with terra skills or do every skill beneath terra level get the area as well (mega, giga)?

6. Rosgath

Rosgath Active Member

It will only affect the Tera skill. A good example of this is the Violet staff. It's base area and first unleash both affect giga skills, but after unleashing it twice it affects Tera skills, losing the giga areas.

7. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Ah, yeah, I didn't look into it closely, but daggers do give around 70% Atk and Matk of the one-stat weapons.

Yep, and sometimes unleashing isn't always for the best.

For example, A class spear Trident. It gives Mega, 1 column range. After one unleash, it gives Mega 3 columns, making it very good for clearing mobs. The second unleash, gives it the terrible range of Giga, vertical (2).

I couldn't trade the awesome range for slight stat boost.

8. Sharrax

Sharrax Active Member

Nice guide. One more question:
    Does it off-hand weapon grants 50% of its MATK too?

9. Rosgath

Rosgath Active Member

Yes. Anytime I mention attack without also mentioning Magic attack in the same idea in the guide I am referring generally to attack and magic attack as one. The only exception to this is when referring to Swords which only grant physical attack.

10. fgbrooks

fgbrooks New Member

Did you really mean "pincer" or did you mean to say "chain"?

11. Rosgath

Rosgath Active Member

Oops. You got it Spot on. I'll go in and edit it.