A small review for Terra Battle from veteran players.

Discussion in 'General' started by Nyquist, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Nyquist

Nyquist Active Member

I have played this game since it came out. It was a very good puzzle game with great graphics, interesting individual characters and quirky personalities and great character profiles. Among the arguably weakest point in the game was certainly the lackluster main story and as well as lack of a meaningful story Content in any of the optional dungeons. This puzzle game was a bit like a game of chess with the timer as is played during official tournaments. The great thing about this game was also the existence of several different strategies to tackle what at the time was end game content.

The multiple strategies where ususally either debuff usage or strategic play of evasion and overpowering with the correct units and pattern learning. The advantage was most certainly that some of the most required skills were available both to rare units and to really common ones so the contect was accessible to both albeit with more difficulty and dexterity required. Lamia was a great example as was Bahamut.

The introduction of recodes was the first faux pas in my opinion for Terra Battle during the 2.5.0 patch. The requirement for class Z was not necessary. And what happened was that rare materials were replaced with new rarer materials. The grind was bigger and the recode system was an easy way to make us redraw some of our older units and decrease our chance of getting new rare characters. It was also one of the first content options that could potentially prolong sbing. It certainly gave us more incentive for playing the game but it also was the first occurrence of a mindless content addition. Especially later down the line the new Z class mages have all been superseded by the new gated content characters. They added however new skill patters and bombs which were really cool to play with. I honestly believe that recodes were aimed at casual players who had the base forms and didn't have the amount of time to invest into grinding sb.

The question of sbing was also a fun one. It actualy gave a feeling of progression which was certainly allowed for unlocking of unique characters. After 100% sb you could not redraw them and you could not duplicate them. This gave them the feeling of being truly unique unlike those from FFBE with teams of 5 Chizurus which is extremely unimersive. This is also why we dislike FFBE even if it has several additions that are better than in TB.

The addition of otomos was actually a good choice. It gave us access to skill we couldn't usually obtain and some of the best otomos were available for free. Some of the droprates were too low however and too many useles otomos.

Which brings me to my gripes with newer content. Having obtained Mutoh, Shinen and primordial dragon I must say the content is just bad. It's like adding moving obstacles in chess and saying here you go. It is no longer a puzzle game and more an example of dexterity which is certainly not what I am looking in puzzle games and what was inexistant till chapter 30 anyways. This design choice certainly shows for a simpler dificulty increase(Bullet sponges in fps). I would in that case play any of the better made bullet hells. At least you have not your thumb and hand obscuring 30% of the screen. This choice gave us our first hard content which is hard for bad reasons during patch 4.1.0. THe worst part is that we finally recieved true Gated Content. Mistwalker has not realeased and easily accessible characters to be capable of doing these dungeons. Easily I do not mean with a 100% completed PoT or PoF.

The intriduction of luck akin of TM from FFBE is just weird in TB. Showing of drops even if they were tera spear bronze is insulting just like the locked chests in Dragon Age and Assassins Creed were. But the biggest gripe I have is the dissapearence of the feeling of progression. It does hardly matter how much time you put into your game. The requirements are the new characters with hop and trap mechanics. Luck is at 0% for all players new or old. A game that does not reward effort put into it is hardly worth being played.

The new content also despite being endgame content does not seem meaningfull. It's just grind grind, grind without any reward. It seems somewhat devoid of intelligent design. We got endgame content but sadly it is a brutish and simple one. In my case the expected value for the effort put into this game since this patch is no longer coherent nor correct.

I would argue that the best time to play this game was before patch 2.5.0 or before 4.1.0. In it's current state there is not much incentive for old or new players to play it. Just as with games published and maintained by Gumi I would argue that now is a good time to leave Mistwalker's game and to move to other better mobile games. W for one started playing pokemon soulsilver and heartgold on drastic. It has finally become a cash grab. Save your money and have fun.

What do you think? How do you view the evolution of TB and do you think the new mechanics are an improvement?
    We would love to hear your opinion.

cjguitarman, Todd, Xensard and 6 others like this.
  2. Tziouv

Tziouv Well-Known Member

People cried about SS healers being worse than B healers, cried about Descents being "too hard" for their starter accounts, cried about SBing, cried about coop disconnections, cried about Lamia requiring Ellvern/Zaffite, cried about QM and Co-op not being exploitable, cried about Invincible being too strong, cried about Invincible being too weak, cried about TLS Perfect Fate, cried about MZ6 mirrors murdering them, cried about that time when S/L broke, cried about OP Recodes, cried about Recodes not being OP enough, cried about Jade Dragon, cried about CoT Otomos, cried about PvP, cried about Ellvern^ + Martial Mace being "super OP", cried about Chaos no longer being exploitable, cried about gift code removal, cried about Golem IV, cried about taps, cried about the Dragon Kings, cried about Shinen/Mutoh and now they are crying about the Luck system actually giving them stuff to do besides SBing.

It's... honestly kinda hard taking anyone crying seriously at this point.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    JCH77, Todd, pwnda and 11 others like this.
  3. Ryden

Ryden Active Member

Frankly said, this is just brutally honest and completely true.

It's an additional feature, guys. Of course, introduction over time would've made it less overwhelming, but it's just an addition to the game. Nobody requires you to have 100 luck characters after two days in order to get all the new stuff instantly. It's the perfectionists themselves who set the standards up high, rather than MW. Maybe, they thought: Let's implement a system that provides more long-term gaming possibilities. People will acquire luck over time, people that have "finished" the game or are close to it will have reasons to play again, and all will obtain new items in a process over time. A process of incremental progress and growth. Too bad that most of the TB players are just grinders and thus impatient if something actually requires time to complete again. MW is not responsible for you being a perfectionist who maxed all characters SB and want to instantly have 100 luck. If you cannot get that 100 luck chest rewards for now, that's fine. It is not thought to be obtained over night.

Sorry for that rant-ish post, but I feel that too many people are judging the new system by what they can achieve over night. It's out not even two days and everybody is complaining. How about waiting a couple of days, or maybe weeks, instead of raging about TB or instatly quitting a game that you probably spent hundreds of hours on? (Be aware that I'm targeting the mindless "luck is bullshit"-posts, not the actual complaints that do have rational arguments!)

Todd, Sakenara, tieuzbao and 4 others like this.
  4. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

For me its the bullet hell that killed TB for me. I cannot play it casually. It causes me stress rather than fun. As a result I have no incentive play now. It is tough enough to see old friends retire, but hell the luck system even removes the incentive to play coop (bad move MW). This is the beginning of the end for TB for me, unless MW goes and rebalances the game as a more casual style of play. I will login, collect energy hope for a nice pull once in a while during rate ups, but the bullet hell levels will just sit there. I was almost tempted to spend some money to try for Mizel, but when I consider all the pulls will favor Burubaba ^ and the other non maxed SB units, I am not inclined. I already gave away 2 alts yesterday, and will probably give the rest out around Xmas as a present to the TBF members.

5. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Eh, the only part I agree on is the kinetic trap thing.

No, all they did was adding new, high-tier characters, with which you can exchange lower tier characters with some grinding. Whales or SB-ers can pull them from Pacts directly, while casuals can grind items and levels. I don't see how it is any worse than just adding new characters.
    If you mean Dragon Kings, there's Palpa^. Yeah, she's kind of lackluster, but she gets the job done. The new characters just made the new contents easier. Would be much better if MW would release A/B photon/graviton characters though, but there are no gated contents.

If you're talking about 100 Luck, well, MW just made getting Lambda characters easier with all these non-Z Recodes.
    Yeah, Luck starting at 0 sucks. It's temporary though. A few months from now, there would be players running around with max Luck team.

There are no stages that outright require augments though, except PDK, and Mistwalker gave you Palpa^ for that.
    This paragraph is just a bunch of buzzwords.

Because they have less content? It's not like they took anything away from the game.

I can see why this update sucks for old players, since the Luck system makes them start from scratch again. But new players? If anything, new players are the ones least affected, or even benefitted, from the updates. They get extra items from Luck chest, and they get to grind Luck while progressing through story as well. Other contents are irrelevant to them since fair or not, they wouldn't be able to tackle them anyway.

Christian and Chev4 like this.
  6. Meowushi

Meowushi New Member

I think what says it all is the fact that this game has been out for 2 years and only has 2.5? Million downloads, and out of that what, 10,000 players? Less? Whether you're fine with the new update or no and If you're new or not I think that MW needs to take a step back and say hey why do we have 8 million less downloads than a game than came out 2-3 months ago, maybe we should take a survey and try to improve whatever it is that the players have gripes about. I really love this game it has a cool system and I still play it knowing I won't ever get any of the new characters that come out unless I spend an absurd amount of money. Its been like this since the beggining, If you didn't spend money you were fucked, I started with this game I had rikken and a bunch of B characters got up to chapter 20 and couldnt beat it without a mage so I quit for awhile came back and shortly after I caved and spent a couple bucks, got zerro and boom Instantly could beat 20 up to 30 XD No one wants to wait 4-6 months to do things on this game and be forced to spend money to do anything lol and no wont have full luck I never will same with sb but give me stuff to do If Im not crazy hardcore/money spender.

Sean Bond and Sakenara like this.
  7. Domivi

Domivi Active Member

That's mostly the cause of non-existent marketing / advertising of the game. That, and hiring a bigger dev team in order to push updates faster would be most likely the only things needed for the game to be bigger. Those 2.6 million downloads might only be from hearing about "Sakaguchi's mobile game" on a random final fantasy article.

Sean Bond likes this.
  8. Sakenara

Sakenara Member

This is very interesting, very interesting. It is very understandable that veterans got hit with the short end of the stick while the newer players got a boost with the introduction of the luck system. At least that is what it seems to the average player/veteran on this forum.

But no matter what, even if newer players get the chance to progress through the story with additional luck drops, they have very negligible or none luck to begin with, making the luck system largely irrelevant for the most part (unless they have magical luck to get insane luck boosts and can get the d chest everytime). They're still at the starting line alongside all the veterans, despite getting a boost from pulling from the PoToF with little chance of duping in the beginning.

However, veterans have the high road mostly for one reason: the PoFoF. Most of you guys that are arguing that new players have it easy have also cleared to made a decent headway in clearing the PoFoF or at the very least have made decent progress on the original PoF.

I wonder how much luck can you actually gain on one character by the time you finish the story (28 chapters with 8+ stam, 10 sections and 1 with only 1 section, max 0.3 boost per section = 27x10x.3+.3 =81.3 luck). If you used up the same amount of stam farming 5.8 ( approx 4405 Stam to chapter 35 without mz/hz farming and not failing a single section), you'll farm at least half of the pof (589x4405= 2,594,545). This means you'll have some decently lucked monsters while the average new player would have a rag tag team of adventurers (Just one team, mind you!) that would just barely reach 80 luck under the most optimal conditions without power leveling their characters or farming their job requirements and - let's face it, new players still are at the bottom of the pile and you guys are almost or already done with the story with multiple parties of viable useful units.

You can pick and choose what adventurers you want to luck boost if you've got a decent roster, you probably got teams that no new player can even think about forming. There's going to be that new player that always pulls or nearly always get the best units out of sheer luck (I luv you mr.narwhal, just salty of your 10 z's) but that is a once in a blue moon case. And what normal player would run through the game without exploring the other aspects of the game like arena events? (assuming they just found this game and didn't consult online forums like this for advice).

Answer: They'll just get sandblasted by orbling as you guys did if they thought lower stam costs = really easy event)!

The point is, new players don't have a significant advantage. You'll probably get an 80 luck team that can do the first level of but dungeons in the next few months, but the average new casual player will not. They will not have all the neccesary answers to events (even old ones the first time like Bahamut which come back periodically, maybe by the second come around, but these events come back after a long time; 3 months is long for a mobile game). But it's not like you won't have the same amount of time that they do.

The only thing that you are at a great disadvantage for is time that could've been saved if luck was implemented in the very beginning of the game. That I'm unfortunately know you guys have been cheated out of, but that is more of an MW problem. But at the same time, new players will face the same grind that veterans have now, and it's up to MW to make them stay or not, since if the veterans are complaining about this update, only God knows how hard it'll be on the newer players who are obviously unequipped and late to get the necessary units to catch up as of now. (Camellia O, Suoh O, kino monsters, and bit monsters since they can't counter the gimmick unless they get the jackpot characters to counter new, more relevant gimmicks).

My final part of my rant is more on a psychological scale: If a new player feels like they can't make any progress on a game, what do most do?

Please don't think new players benefitted more than old players in this update, this clearly hurt them instead unless they come whaling out of the gate or are insta hardcore coming into this game.

New players are in the same boat as us all. Stop beating them down even if they seem to have an easier start, be happy that there's more players that are willing to play and join the community. And if you feel that they have too much of an advantage, hey you're free to start over and join them (yeah right, who has time to reSB and pull z units?)

/End Rant

Now it wouldn't be right to add to a discussion without some way to improve. As suggested by meowushi, a survey would definitely benefit the entire community, as would give MW direct feedback about what players want.

Or alternatively, we can do something similar to Project Rainfall in terms of expressing what players desire, abeit on a smaller scale. For those that didn't know, the Last Story which was made by Mistwalker was not originally intended to be released outside of Japan. However players outside saw how it and two other titles (Xenoblade Chronicles and Pandoras Tower), and launched a successful campaign to convince Nintendo to release these games in other regions. Keep in mind, that Nintendo, Nintendo, was able to be swayed. Mistwalker is obviously smaller and so are our playerbase, but this approach still stands.

However, if MW is anything like the MW with the vision that they had originally to create a game that anyone can enjoy without feeling the need to spend money on the game to feel content, then they'll find a way to make luck more tolerable (whether it may be making an arena event where it'll be easy to farm the event drop to 100 luck with decent move sets, etc).

And more importantly, if you want something (lol the part where I'm the hypocrite for not instigating this) do something about it! Let them know that the playerbase is unsatisfied at their customer service! Message Minion to try get in touch with the appropriate department or subsection of Terra Battle that can address the luck fiasco, etc! You can complain and complain, but the problem will still be there.

The only thing I want MW to do immediately is to make character otomos a permanent fixture in the Trading Post. Those should never be limited time while other non neccesary items can come and go, especially if it's needed for the events that are following soon after it ends it rotation.

Tbh, I have seen even more devious cash grab attempts, Terra Battle hasn't even come close to Grandblue Fantasy yet (Monster Strike in a lesser sense). At least your dupes helps you progress in clearing the pool (aka built in bad safety net) those games needed severe backlash from the community and the government to employ worse safety nets for a single unit, and monster strike doesn't even have a safety net!

9. claude

claude Active Member

Speaking of that grandblue fantasy... it should be renamed as blackhole fantasy. Not sure how monster strike and PnD are doing nowadays, but you have admit all those games are state of the art on psychologically making humans being so addicted to them... TB is like a space vaccume machine nowadays too, sucking in all the time and money as much as they can from the little pool of players.

10. poopingpoop

poopingpoop New Member

I think the new mechanics are fine but my problem with the game is farming/grinding. Kinetic traps, time traps, rifts, and twisters add a level of difficulty and prestige playing through it. After beating a kinetic trap level with minimal characters, I personally feel skillful as well as a sense of danger in every turn. Not having a challenge is o.k., but I would rather have a sense of accomplishment. My problem is that the new trap otomos are mostly luck drops that are nearly impossible to get.

After over a year of playing, I still don't have all the characters. How can I be expected to get 100 luck for different sets of teams considering how difficult it is to accumulate luck and why would I want to. Even if I went back with good characters to farm luck. All I get is luck so that I can get whatever otomo ward/disarm. There is nothing except maybe sb'ing on the side if I were to farm luck. Since the update, I've made less than 2 luck total which seems consistent with others farming orbling 3. I absolutely hate the amount of time invested farming for so little rewards. At least I can farm sb with 1 stamina. I think MW has to make luck easier to obtain even if they just release an increase luck event.

I'm still playing because of the new characters being released. With every new mechanic, there are new characters designed for them. The only sad part is that they are really hard to get. I wish MW released a new free character that helped progress through traps. I would even settle with a ba'gunar recode.

I want to see MW in future updates focus primarily on new chapters. The limited-time farming events are incredibly repetitive after a few days and discourage new players with the level of difficulty and payoff. Why are new players farming for ward otomos when they either don't have access to trap stages, don't have the specific character/otomo combination, or lack strong enough characters to engage the arena? There are job items in the trading post but they're not exclusive. New chapters are good even if they don't present a new strategy or mechanic because the player is rewarded fittingly and makes the grind feel worthwhile. Nothing in the new update feels worthwhile except for a few new characters.

*I give this update a :rage:/:troll:.

claude likes this.
  11. Sakenara

Sakenara Member

I've actually played Monster Strike before coming to Terra Battle. It was more cartoonish, fun, and more importantly, it had real time coop with 4 people and was extremely easy to join other people's games (while here is more bland in terms of coop, just pvp, farm drops, and only time with 3 players is eidolons). Monster strike wins out in Japan as one of the best mobile communities in Japan. (Hence why all other games are trying to do the same since that approach worked so well to keep players together; I mean that's why people play mmo games, it's the community that really keeps people hooked)

People could tolerate not having the best units, since the game was completely doable with free units (I'm not joking, I mean we're clearing impossibles - highest difficulty dungeons )ex. Izanami with just a butterflight(easiest farmable max rarity unit) and a serpent drop that is not evolvable to max rarity) ), whereas here it's not.

And monster strike allows you to have friends put up leads like brave frontier or pad that you can bring into the dungeon, so you can have one premium op unit that is designed to beat the dungeon without ever pulling it. Except the hatcher rates is completely terrible and a worse cash grab than MW.

12. claude

claude Active Member

everything, money grab, bloody hell.

13. Nyquist

Nyquist Active Member

Hello,

it is great that so many people answered and there have been many interesting points that have been risen.
    @Tziuv honestly I must say that if each time you add content people are unhappy about it then maybe it is the content and not the people. I must say that in total there hasn't been that much of good since this game came out. In most cases I felt like I remained post 2.5.0 despite the content updates rather than because with some fun exceptions such as Lamia etc.

@Ryden I think my issue with this feature is how it was introduced and why how it is not intended to be optional. It is also insulting to have something shown this way at the end battle screen. Ergo Mizell. I mean there is the FFBE way of doing it with trust bonus and then there is TB way of doing it. It really feels "in your face".

@TrueShadow the issue is that people having high sb low rarity characters are conned into reducing their chances to pull some new rare characters. This happens by putting low rarity character back into the pool. For sb'ers and whales it does matter less. But again even whales would need to spend more money if they decided to recode for whatever reason. Originally new classes were not thought to be recodes but rather 4th jobs which made more sense.
    I think I should explain the paragraph you called buzzwords. All in all TB was a puzzle game. If I suddenly introduce mechanics from other games such as bullet hell or fps (I know they didn't), I would argue that overall design is all over the place. As in not well thought out and coherent. It is always easier to add different things than to polish what diamond in the rough you have.
    I must say your example is a great example of gated content. It is content requiring specific characters to consistently achieve the same positive result. Palpa^ is a good example of a lackluster character that does not allow for consistent results.

I think many people continued playing this game despite it's shortcomings and new issues.

The following points will not apply to people who enjoyed the newer bullet hell aspects. I mean you are being well catered to with the newer content. I just feel like playing chess and getting tennis balls thrown at me and my board. It feels really annoying.

But overall it is nice seeing people still enjoying this game and being positive about it. I have quit it and come back to it several times.

I think if MW cared they would introduce leader units, interesting maps and designs, something to do between fights like a true overworld map or exploration elements. This feels like a grinding part of MMO's without the story exploration and meeting. If you increase the grind add things that make it bearable.

Sassmaster9001 and LegendaryFrog like this.
  14. PWood528

PWood528 Member

I don't care about luck. I'm not going to make any attempt to farm or increase it in any way outside of just playing normally. If that locks me out of certain items, so be it. I think the biggest change I would want concerning luck is that the items you can get from the 80-100 chests either have a small chance of dropping anyway, or treasure hunter / negotiator can be used elsewhere to get the items. If all good items moving forward are unaffected by treasure hunter, that would be kind of a drag.

Honestly, I've been a little disheartened by the direction the game is going. The new content seems completely geared towards having the best characters and companions. I'm not even really excited about pulling a gold sheet anymore. Chances are it's one of the recently introduced bad or niche characters. I guess the point I'm making is the character pool is too large now, with presumably the remaining re-codes on the way, and then some. I don't really feel like I'm making progress anymore, which is a bad feeling because Terra Battle is becoming more and more like your standard gambling mobile game. To me, anyway. To make matters even worse, as a side effect of the power creep most of the value of lower tier characters have dropped off almost completely. They simply don't have enough hit points or defenses anymore for the latest content.

I'm actually in a weird place. I've got all the A and B characters at 100% SB, but haven't completed golds or rainbows. This means that if I re-code S'naip, I'm basically guaranteed to pull S'naip again until the original is back to 100% SB. I really dislike that this is the case. I absolutely hate re-coded lambdas, and personally think they were implemented all wrong. I really wish the lambda version was simply job 4 of the existing character, with possibly complicated items to unlock the last job. This would clean up the roster, clean up the pacts, and avoid the completely unnecessary feel bad grind of reacquiring characters you already freaking had.

I originally liked the idea of companions, but disliked the implementation. There were absolutely too many redundant, useless companions in the pacts that you could never avoid pulling. I still really don't like how that's the case, but at least companions aren't really strictly necessary. And then the trading post came along, and everything changed. I love what they did with it, giving the ability to get rare materials, companions, and other items. My only gripe is that the items you need to trade in come from a temporary event. I think that there should always be a way to get these items from the base game, making sure the trading post is active 100% of the time.

I don't really care for PvP (in any game, really) so I can't comment on that. I really loved co-op, but they haven't released anything new on that front in awhile. Perhaps they could do something to make it relevant again?

Anyway that's my little rant, take it or leave it.

Sean Bond and Dura11245 like this.
  15. Epicancient

Epicancient Active Member

Tbh, the luck system drew me back into the game since I dropped playing out of boredom waiting, back when PDK was fresh.

I love the idea, even if it is admittedly annoying to grind up.

If nothing else people who don't mind have more to work on their favorite teams for, and people who quit will likely resume when they "fix" a problem for them.. Or when the console game is ever released, hah.

Chev4 likes this.