Ban Referral Code Advertisements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dead Tamagotchi, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead Tamagotchi

Dead Tamagotchi Member

This is a disservice of many sites and I think this one should be different, so I suggest a change to Forum Rules.

2. Hyourinmaru

Hyourinmaru The Frozen Moderator

Could you please elaborate your suggestion? Refferal codes are a part of Terra Battle and has been allowed to be advertised to get them to fill up. It's kind of a hard feat to otherwise. It will not be prevented for now.

G Malo likes this.
  3. Umowoïs

Umowoïs Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Hyourinmaru likes this.
  4. Hyourinmaru

Hyourinmaru The Frozen Moderator

Indeed. You can post threads with opening posts in one of those formats. If not, it will be removed (see thread for more explanation).

5. Dead Tamagotchi

Dead Tamagotchi Member

Hmm, I thought it is common knowledge.
    Since this site is very tolerant if not embracing towards rerollers, it's one or the other. You either keep rerollers happy by providing them fresh RCs and let down the newbs who believe in the integrity and expertise of the Site and its Rules, or ban RC publication altogether (at least no ID in advertisements).
    If an RC is published, it goes into the wild. There is no way to protect it other than private sharing with a trusted partner (including yourself).

Comments have been removed from this post. Reason: Against Forum Rules
    - G Malo

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  6. Rexlent

Rexlent NSFW

Medals:
    I do not think it is considered hiding the head in the sand. For starters, this site is unaffiliated with Mistwalker. If you have discovered a bug or problem, take it up to support.
    It also goes without saying that many players including myself have already reported various known issues and I can tell you that MW is very much aware of the vulnerabilities.

Why do I think discussing and listing out exploits is a bad idea? I've been in this forum since last year and I can tell you that openly talking about exploits have happened before and it won't change a thing and instead achieve the opposite effect.

If I am a cheater and am looking for ways to break the game, I would have been extremely grateful to your list because now I know that such a loophole exists in the system. If you want to stop people from learning about exploits then the best prevention is to not mention the exploit itself publicly.

Again I reiterate: Take it up directly to MW support; Trying to do something about it here will not help.

Arthuria and G Malo like this.
  7. Dead Tamagotchi

Dead Tamagotchi Member

You misread the OP, Rexlent. But I probably should take your speech as a support for variant 1.

As to the philosophical discussion about security, I believe in openness, you believe in security by obscurity. Nothing wrong with that and I am not going to address exploits any more.

8. Rexlent

Rexlent NSFW

Medals:
    No, I was just replying to your statement that is now moderated.

9. DhamonGrimwulf

DhamonGrimwulf Member

You are mixing ideologies and terms incorrectly.
    Security by obscurity means to not disclose how you are securing your service/software, hoping that it helps thwart attacks in the hope the attackers have to do extra work to first identify what kind of security (if any) has been applied. It has nothing to do with philosophies regarding when to disclose exploits.

Openness has to do with whatever flavour of 'open' you support regarding how software should be shared - this can vary in different groups, with some groups defending that software should be available for everyone to access and modify, while others go a step further and actually want the software to not only be available but you should also be able to modify/copy your specific local copy of the software (i.e. Apple's iOS apps platform protects individual apps from being copied to different user's accounts).

I believe what you actually wanted to say, was that you believe exploits should be brought to public, in order to provide some pressure to whatever company has said exploit, so that they fix it.
    Indeed, this is what many individuals/groups do. You know what these groups also do? They first report said vulnerability to the company(ies), and then wait a minimal amount of time for them to fix it. Why? Because any decent person will first try to help in getting things patched up. While this is 'just a game', disclosing vulnerabilities of systems as soon as someone finds it is completely irresponsible - exploits can have long lasting (negative) impacts. When individuals or groups publicly disclose vulnerabilities, you will also notice they also say they warned said company of this some period before: the reason for disclosing these is to try and force the hand of the company to fix something if they did not - BUT YOU WARN THEM FIRST!

edit: While my 'overview' of Openness was very incomplete, as well as for security by obscurity, i would just also like to point out that you shouldn't really spot nonsense about 'Openness' without actually understanding what it actually means! There are many different kinds of 'Open', all with their nuances, and more often than not, people don't really understand what the hell they're talking about.
    \rant over

10. Dead Tamagotchi

Dead Tamagotchi Member

So sad that this legitimate suggestion has been plagued by offtopic and hypocrisy. Disclaimer: what I really wanted to say, I said in the starting post.

Since you are obviously forgetting, let me remind you, guys, that by deliberately ignoring the subject, you do not only show disrespect to OP, but also to the Forum as a whole and anyone who reads it.

DG, lol, why rant, in the first place? Maybe you should have just drunk a cup of tea slowly to get rid of any frustration you were having? Now look at what you've done: a sheetlong stream of consciousness. Mind you, this ain't 'Rants' subsection. There was no need to revive offtopic conversation that had ended peacefully and to bring back the theme that had urged moderator interference more than once in the last couple of days, same for addressing me on particular topic after I promised to stay away from it (as compliance to moderator's POV).

There might be a lot of members that have something to share on various fields of knowledge. Luckily they have enough self-control to post on appropriate boards, in appropriate topics. For anyone who wishes to discuss security or whatever, feel free to create a thread in relevant section, just don't spam here. If you don't dare to start a thread, I allow you to open a conversation with me, in fact, if that concerns me mostly, do PM me any questions or disagreements first, before flaming somewhere.

DG, you were not part of the original discussion, hence most of your text is comments on your own speculations, which deviate significantly from the fact of the matter. Without going into details, here is a hint: there is not just MW's security, but also security of exploiters and their practices and security of general public. Depending on whose side someone is, that security they will advocate most. The terminology I used contextually was enough that people understood each other. I support openness since, I believe (and this thread is another proof), it serves better for the case. But I am answering you mainly because my actions and motives for creation of now deleted thread (you, guys, should have better replied there) were repeatedly misrepresented. Never did I provide techniques of any exploits, listed or promised any new, nor did I plead to keep exploits out of MW's awareness. No matter how naive it may be, I'm pro competition on equal terms. That includes if for some reason an exploit, that is not gamebreaking, that has been reported, has not been patched for considerable amount of time and is probably tolerated, such exploit, if it has clearly been leveraged by more than a few, should in the name of balance within player base become public together with its side-effects. From what I have browsed, this Forum acts more or less accordingly.

Now to put an end on it finally, any moderator reading this, please lock the thread, since the topic became moot for me and I no longer lobby any changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.