Companions...in the early game

Discussion in 'General' started by grinder, May 25, 2016.

1. grinder

grinder New Member

I see there are some basics out there for the top companions. I, however, am not ready for that yet. What's the general consensus on companions early in the the game. I'm picking up a lot of D class stuff right now. Should I just sell it, fuse with something else, hold onto it? I do have a few B class items that look reasonably decent, but suspect they are useless eventually.

I do have one S class item: the golem that petrifies. Also, have an A class Musical note. Should I start leveling these or are they of little use for later?

2. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Yeah, most low rank Companions are trash. Do whatever you want with them.

Keep that Golem. It will be very useful when you unlock Metal Zone 5 and you haven't got Bonna or Zeera yet.

3. grinder

grinder New Member

Cool...will do on the Golem. Assume leveling with what I have no is a bit of a no-brainer. The minions are the leveling material, right? There's no other use for those things is there?

Are there any noteworthy companions to equip in the early game. For a truncated list of what I have that might be margionally usefule (read: not D or C)
    S - Golem
    A - Magic shield
    A - Music Note
    B - Rat's Fan
    B - Hiso's Fan
    B - Golem's Talisman
    The rest are D & C shields, visors & wands

4. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

They're OK, but in the early game companions aren't really that important.

Golem is awesome. I remember using Bonna a lot in my game and petrification worked on a lot more enemies than I would have guessed initially. It's also and chain skill so you can equip it on a mage or healer and still get it's benefits.

Magic Shield benefits physical classes the most, but in most cases a visor will have a better effect since most element based levels focus on a single element and you can stack the visor skills.

Music Note boosts your skill frequency so it makes your skills trigger more often. It's wasted on healers and status characters since healing/status skills are high % activation anyway so use it on a mage or attacker.

Rat's Fan has limited use. Poison isn't terrible, but it's not very good either. I would probably use a weapon companion over a Rat's Fan, but that's just me.

Hiso's Fan will make things easier as Demoralizing enemies makes their attacks do 0 damage, but it won't work on everything. Still not a bad idea to equip on one of your pincer units.

Golem's Talisman is very minimally useful. I know there are a few levels where petrify is used so if you have a Panacea or Reanimation character you can equip it on them to ensure you usually have at least one curing character.

I would keep your visors and wands for now. No sense selling them for a pittance when they can prove useful in chapters and levels that are focused on a certain element like 15-9 which is all Ice enemies. You probably don't need more than 1 or 2 wands of each element (might even be over kill) and a few visors for the lower MDEF characters.

grinder likes this.
  5. grinder

grinder New Member

Wish I could like this multiple times! Very, very helpful. Thank you. I'll make some changes to my companions when I'm back at my phone.

Just to clarify, is the best way to level these things the minions? Or do they get XP from being equipped and being used?

6. FishInTheDark

FishInTheDark Forum Event Manager Staff Member

I honestly don't think you should waste your coins on it. Money is hard to get early game and is better used for unlocking jobs. The companions don't give much of a boost anyways, compared to leveling your characters. If you get some weapon otomos, they might be useful (the B class Silver weapons). You can get their lower form (C class Iron weapons) in chapter levels. They are useful late game too so it might be worth the early investment. I would definitely avoid leveling stat boosting otomos though in the early game. They are very expensive to level and don't provide much benefit because they require high stats and sb to work well.

7. grinder

grinder New Member

Do you mean by pulling the CoF in the Tavern? If so, I meant should I level them with the minions that I pick up? I guess, just the Golem really is the one I'd level....

8. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

The only way to level Companions is to use Metal Minions or other companions (the latter being a terrible way to level). Metal Minions drop from, you guessed it, Metal Zones and come in 2 varieties - Metal Minion and Metal Minion ^. There are also MM^^ (event only) and Glassy/Golden MM from the Puzzle Quest Arena event. Chapter 34-10 also drops a MM^ 100% of the time when cleared. The Wiki has an excellent Companion leveling table here so you can make efficient use of your MMs. The best time to level during the Guaranteed bonus events where you are guaranteed to receive a 25%, 50% or 100% bonus to Companion experience.

If you're going to level anything I'd level Golem and King's fan. Status effects are criminally under appreciated in the story mode.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    grinder likes this.
  9. Nyquist

Nyquist Active Member

Minions are indeed only used for exp. I think it depends how far you are. If you have everybody you want leveled and all the jobs unlocked then it makes sense to develop companions. At least that is how I proceeded. If you want to pvp it might be different.

I use mainly this guide for reference : http://terrabattleforum.com/threads/「guide-」otomo-for-minmaxers.8833/

grinder likes this.
  10. FishInTheDark

FishInTheDark Forum Event Manager Staff Member

No, I mean feeding buddies to level up your buddy actually uses up coins as well. It's not a cheap task. You should only be spending Metal Minions to level up your companions (unless it's almost maxed) and feed 4 at a time for best coin efficiency. The amount of coins needed to level up a companion is based on its level so if you feed in large bulks, you save a lot of coins. Be sure to check the wiki or Otomo Data thread to know how much exp you need so you don't go over.

grinder likes this.
  11. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    If you got healing wands, throw it on everyone in the party even if they are low magic attack. You don't even need to evolve them to get the biggest benefit. 1 square ring on the highest physical is nice if you got one. No leveling required. Outside of golem which will use a big coin pile, you don't have to worry too much about them. 6 d rank healing wands max level is more than enough for the story. Mid game make 2 Skull splitters and 2 bewitching bows. Everything else people said looks about right. Otomo are the end game grind/prize. It's only recent we got events which they are required.

grinder likes this.
  12. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member

Basically, early on you want: Skullsplitters, Bewitching Bows, and Healing Wands (which you will eventually turn into Healing Rods). If the Final Fantasy Crossover comes back as has been hinted, you will be able to get Mogs and you can then ignore the bewitching bows and just focus on healing wands and skullsplitters. Skullsplitters still haven't been replaced by easily available companions. You will want Demon Chronicles if you decide to become an sBer, and you will want 2-3 kings fans for Metal Zone 6, but those are generally second tier requirements after the healing wand/skullsplitter/bewitching wand companions. I would start by focusing on the skullsplitters, which are B, and you can get their C version (stalwart sword) from drops on a level I can't recall. Other than that, occasionally pull from the CoF (coins) and focus on the healing items (you probably even want to use the D levels) or bewitching bows.

grinder likes this.
  13. Loner

Loner Active Member

There is a hint? When? Where? :eek:
    If it's true, can't wait to feed all about 9x MMΛ to those cute Mogs when they come back. And Ochu and Tonbery too xD

14. Sassmaster9001

Sassmaster9001 Member

Mogs take about 40something MM^ to max out, and Ochus and Tonberry are about 20something. They're not fun for the coin wallet nor for your MM^ stock.

@Ashitaka BBY!

supergaijin likes this.
  15. Loner

Loner Active Member

Well I have 90+ MMΛ and about million coins sitting there without any companion worth feeding, so I don't mind if they bring the event back xD Or at least give some new companions in next update.
    Btw doesn't Mog require about 1 mil exp, so 20 MMΛ? Ochu and Tonbery also only require 7 and some MM. The one that need 40+ MMΛ is CE if I'm not wrong.

Sassmaster9001 likes this.
  16. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    1 + stuff for b.
    7 for a.
    21 for s.
    40 for ss/z.

I beehive those are the numbers off the top of my head. It's hiding in my image guide for making ss/bw and dc.... I think?

17. supergaijin

supergaijin Well-Known Member

my beehive got me stung so much :troll: but yes, it sounds about right for the different ranks (but b is 3 mm^ + 2 B minions, if it's not upgrade event time). @grinder , if you want specifics, check this thread :D

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    FishInTheDark likes this.