Datamining retirement [long text chunk inside]

Discussion in 'General' started by Tharos, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Tharos

Tharos The Source Explorer

Medals:
    Hi all

Let's make it short for those who don't have time: I am stopping the "new version datamining" on TB, but not stopping the game.

I guess someone have to make threads to discuss new versions, and you would have to rely on the wiki for the new characters tables (thanks again @fhs and all other wiki contributors for the work there). I'm sure @Silver Mitsuki and @Rydia will handle those new version threads !

I'm still around on TB1 and this forum, just stoping the datamining. (95% chance I'll stop TB2 very soon, this game sadly doesn't deserve my time)

So the longer version (way too long and messy, sorry about that, skip if needed)
    It's been 3 years since I started this game, soon after its release.

December 2014, I discovered this forum not so long afterwards, with Leviathan release: I wasn't able to beat it, and needed advices.
    I need ice damage to break the barrier? WTF? How did people thought about taking a ice unit against an ice boss?
    I needed to find if there are other hidden tricks like that in the game...

A few days after, I played with the apk and the code, thus helped Kivanc and jnalyz with datamining. Still december 2014.
    At that time, I knew nothing about datamining. Sure, as a developper it was not so hard, so I could guess a few things, but I had to learn a lot by myself, and it was so overwhelmingly fun!

There were so many unknown things in this game, that would be helpful to all players. Hunting zones mechanisms, drops, damage formulae, and many many more things.

At the same time, in january, I discovered @Matthieu 's work and his TBS, so we worked together to get TBS updated more easily, with improved and more reliable data.

Meanwhile, I improved both my datamining skills and tools, looking directly on MW server for pictures or info, downloading high res pictures for the whole game, predicting version release a few days before, ...
    Until I realized I was the only one handling the new versions on this forum, the other two were long gone.
    It was early 2015.
    The whole TBF community waiting for my update posts, taking for granted whatever I was saying, even though I was still learning and making multiple mistakes
    do not trust dataminers

March 2015, MWM joined the forum, letting me go on with datamining (I would have, even without his approbation).

April 2015, the first real content with datamining requirement: The Last Story, and the night (literally) I spent on branching and condition. It was a fun time: when TLS version came out, my daughter was born 10 days before and she was still in hospital -she was born 2 months too soon-. I remember myself after work, going to see her a few hours, then rushing home trying to get the details of TLS, only getting a couple of hours sleeping before the next day at work.

May 2015 the "dating contest" and my Kana application
    June 2015, Terra Battle Club aborted split

And I'm forgetting the countless people coming and leaving, the hours spent on the chat, the multiple private messages asking for help, datamining lessons or only to give nice words.

All that stuff, during only the first 6 months I registered on this forum.

Why I'm saying all that?
    Not only because I like the memory of it, but to show the huge gap between that time, and now.
    More than 2 years later, the excitement spark is gone: nowadays, there is literally nothing to in on the data side of the game.

I recently realized the difference: I used to wait eagerly for new versions, to post the update thread, fancy charts and other info I could found.
    Now, every morning I am fearing to have a new update, having to extract the few new characters, copy/pasting the chart inside a new post, and.... not finding anything else.

So I decided to stop the "automatic datamining" after each new version.

I'm still enjoying playing the game, so I'll be around, in case a few datamining is required from times to times. But don't count on me for the new version threads, or the new character details during the first hours.
    Now that the wiki is up to date and faster to update than my posts (since years), now that MW is not making any valuable change in to code, there is no value added in those posts.

It was very nice to be around, with you all, and be a source of reliable TB info.
    Take care all, and have fun!

:greet: :love:

2. Arbitrary

Arbitrary Well-Known Member

Medals:
    these are sad times my friends... Our greatest dataminer has retired ;_;

3. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    Ugh, that's a hard hit for the community but needless to say, you totally deserve some rest. I really want to express my gratitude for all the hard work you've done for the community over the past months (years by now) and I really hope you to have the best time, enjoying not only your casual time with Terra Battle, as an "unaware" player, but your life in general.

Among those I know, among many users I've seen over hundred of days spent here, you're the one who contributed more on making the time that we all spent playing TB more pleasant. Terra Battle might be just a game, but seeing your dedication for giving us all the information about everything that has been introduced as soon as a new version got released proved us what an amazing person you are, and I want you to know that even if sometimes we gave you for granted we always appreciated every single minute you spent working for the community.

Thank you again for everything,
    I hope to see you again when new events and important patches get released :D

4. KRIS

KRIS Member

:( Thank you for all your hard work.

5. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

Thanks for everything, @Tharos. We didn't talk much, but you were always one of the posters I most looked forward to in the year+ before I entered chat. Your datamining really helped keep me hyped for a game I would've otherwise left (I never loved the game mechanics, so it was the other stuff that kept me coming back), and your updates on new game versions (with new characters and items) were probably my favorite posts on the forum, even though the images never loaded properly on my phone! I remember waking up on some weekends and going directly to your post, to see what great new character was released that I'd never pull (kind of like I've done with @Silver Mitsuki's Bar Hiso posts).

I'm glad you're getting out of datamining TB2 if you think the timing is right; it sounds like you killed yourself enough in the first game, might as well let someone else take over for the second!

6. Mako

Mako Member

Sorry to see you stop, Tharos. Back when I had TB1 fever, it was so exciting to check the news on skills and unit released, and ninja info on how to clear events (I STILL HATE WITH A PASSION HIDDEN DRAGGING TIME STUFF)
    I try to log on every day on TB1 for nostalgia's sake and TB2 for pity's sake. I do hope for an awesome future with Terra Wars.
    I guess I'll see you around, but there's a question I must ask:

You are not an SB'er. Why? I mean, with your in-depth knowledge of the game I imagine you clearly knew about the best SB spots on the game and on the technical side it sounds feasible that you could have created a tool to do the task for you.
    So, why not SB?

7. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Thanks for all the good times and help Tharos.

8. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

Tharos thank you so much for all of the effort you put into data mining and being such a great part of the TB community. I understand your apprehension of TB2 and TB1 is a nice casual game if you don't sb or luck grind too much. Thanks to Z pulls you can save your energy and if you just luck grind your z chars you can have a new z character every month.

Ironically the jp sites were using your data mining info so one thing for sure Mw needs more transparency if they want branching conditions. I think it's ridiculous they didn't provide info for gamers or something at least obvious within the game . Even the last spider girl event had us avoiding killing a char with different color eyes which depending on the phone (mine) was not so clear.

So cheers for all of your help and enjoy tb1 for as long as you can. I know I will.

Thank you so much.

9. White Mage

White Mage Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Indeed. Thanks for all the info you gave us, Tharos. It was very much appreciated. And after all the time you have spent helping us with datamines, no one should be taking this wrongly. A well earned rest you have earned. Once again, thanks for the datamines. Good to know you'll be around still. ^^

10. Tujion

Tujion Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the work and info. It was fun. Now have some fun somewhere else. ❤

11. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

There comes a time for everybody when something no longer gives them enjoyment and it's good to know when to stop. It's a well deserved retirement, thanks for all your hard work.

12. Ant.

Ant. Member

I feel sad to see you leaving, you endeavor to present the best information possible before the release of every patch. Without you being around on this forum will be truly a lost for every forum members.

Maybe its time for me step down from this game as well...

13. JayJay

JayJay New Member

sad to see you go.. thank you so much for all you done for the game!

14. Zeroelcapo

Zeroelcapo Well-Known Member

i can totally remember that times when "new version available, lets check Tharos post to see whats new!! new characters!! new quests!! new stuff! so excited!!! *-* "
    and that couldnt be done without you and the other dataminers so thats why i want to give you a deep THANK YOU MAN :joyful:
    it was REALLY fun and AMAZING to have dataminers on this forum, enjoy your retirement from datamining but please STAY around, i know we old folks feel the same :shy:

15. Estavali

Estavali Member

Bless you, Tharos, and thank you for all that you've done so far. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the game and stay with us =3

16. tieuzbao

tieuzbao Active Member

Thank you for all your hard work Tharos.

17. Ph B

Ph B Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for all your hard work. Much appreciated. Nothing but the best for you. Enjoy that free time get.

18. Imotiep

Imotiep New Member

Tharos... We did not talk much but I was always eager to read your posts.
    Not only because you were THE reliable source of information for me, but also because I appreciated the way you see things.
    Your vision, point of view and mood were very enjoyable for me.
    I was there the TLS night, and it is a very very good gaming memory.
    As a French fellow, I will say : MERCI :) et à bientôt !

19. EpicPotato

EpicPotato Active Member

yes terra battle was nice back then, thank you for sharing the experience, both in game and community:)
    thank you for all your efforts, data god

20. Mr45

Mr45 Member

Thank you so much for all you've done Tharos! Whenever a new version came out, I eagerly jumped on the forums to see what you and the community found. Your years of dedication helped all of us, and is greatly appreciated. Cheers!