[Guide] Moon King with different teams (Full farmable with Bahl Starter)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Rydia, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Rydia

Rydia The Pink Pikapony Staff Member

Medals:
    *** Remember that English isn't my first language so I want to apologize for the multiple mistakes I have surely done while writing this. Also if you notice errors or want to make any suggestion please comment it in the thread thank you <3 ***

The Moon King.

The Moon King is the easier of the 2 new Bosses introduced with the last update. Here I show how you can beat him using a team composed only by farmable units + Bahl^

Even if the team is capable of killing the boss the fight will be a little slow and it has some RNG involved so if you plan to farm him is better if you wait a little, at least until you get some other good DPS to use instead of Velraine^ (like Snaip^, Grace^, Clara^, Shinen^.....) or an extra physical tapper. I will explain the different characters and teams that will make the farming easier at the end of the guide.

Why to farm the Moon King (level 79).

Because if you beat him he will drop some powerful Moon and Sun companions (the improved versions of Fire/Ice magic). As usual I recommend farming him with a 100L team.

- To get the Sun companions you can just beat him with any team.

- To get the Moon companions you should beat him with an 80/100L team.

The adds.

The Moon King spawns together with four adds.

- Tundra Chakram

These adds are going to be the main menace for your free team so you should kill them as fast as possible (give priority to kill the adds over damaging the boss unless you are in the last turns)

They will either pincer your characters or use their breath attack that could kill some of our weaker units (Bahl^)

The boss.

Info got from this thread and the wiki: Moon King

The boss has 1200k HP and different resistances to different types of magic, it will take 100% damage from Sun and 75% damage from physical and non- elemental magic.

Since killing him using Sun magic will spawn a more powerful version of himself Moon King Level 99 . You want to kill him using a physical team.

He will repeat the same attack pattern during the fight but will interrupted when the dragon HP reach certain thresholds.

Normal attack pattern (cycle):

- Moonlight Sphere, 2 Outer Rows

In the following image I have marked in red the cells were he will do his first attack:

[​IMG]

- Moonlight Sphere, 2 Outer Columns

Cells that will be affected by this attack:

[​IMG]

- Moonlight Sphere, Hollow 4x6 Grid + Summon three Tundra Chakram

Cells that will be affected by this attack:

[​IMG]

Moonlight Sphere:

The boss attacks are pretty strong with a physical and magical component, and will mostly kill any of the members of our free team party with the exception of Suoh^ and Invincible^ when they have barrier casted on them.

Except in very controlled situations we should remember which attack he is going to do each turn and avoid them.

If you want to tank one of the boss attacks with Suoh^/Invi^ (with barrier) do it when there aren't adds and heal your units as soon as possible!!!!

*** If you are using Olber^ in your party once you stack enough physical capsules you can take hits from the boss attacks without dying depending on the units you are using ***

Help!!!! I keep forgetting the dragon attack pattern!!!

In case you have troubles remembering which is the next attack the boss will perform; here are a few tips.

- If he just summoned adds the next attack is going to be ROW

- If there aren't adds (because you already killed them) he probably going to attack in COLUMN or in GRID

- Remember that since Lunacy takes 1 turn these tips aren't safe during the 2 HP threshold attacks he does (75% and 50% HP)

- If you have no idea which attack he is going to do next you can just use this image:

[​IMG]

The red zone indicates the dangerous zone. As long as you stay away from the red cells you are going to be safe no matter which attack he does.

HP threshold attacks

At 75% (~900,000 HP):

-"The moonlight is shining down"

The dragon is charging his next attack.

- Lunacy, Remote (3)

The dragon inflicts Lunacy status to the three party members that are further from him

At 50% (~600,000 HP):

-"The moonlight is shining down"

The dragon is charging his next attack.

- Lunacy, Remote (3)

The dragon inflicts Lunacy status to the three party members that are further from him

At 25% (~300,000 HP):

-"Absorbing massive lunar energy"

The dragon is charging his next attack + Summon Warpholes

- Moonlight Sphere!!!, All

Devastating attack that will kill our party.

Lunacy, Remote (3)

Remember that even if bosses are "showed" as 2x2 cells the game takes the lower-left cell as the "boss real spot", you can see this easily when attacking bosses with Pincer (1) magic attacks.

That means that when choosing which units are going to be affected by Lunacy the reference point is the lower-left corner of the boss.

Units affected by Lunacy will apply a very strong debuff on the entire party if you chain them. Making your characters easily killable by any attack of the adds or the boss. So DONT PINCER OR INCLUDE IN THE CHAIN ANY OF THE UNITS AFFECTED BY LUNACY (be careful here if for some reason you brought someone with Extend Chain, like Amina^ or Amisandra^)

The debuff and its effects on the party will only last one turn so if you chain some unit by mistake but they don't get killed you can resume the normal pattern next turn.

Warpholes + Moonlight Sphere!!!, All

Once the boss reaches 300K HP he will do the following:

Turn 1: Summon Warpholes: If you move a unit over one of these traps it will disappear from battle a few turns so you need to be careful to avoid them. This will make harder to pincer the boss or any of the mobs in the last turn.

Turn 2: Moonlight Sphere!!!, All: This is a devastating attack that will kill your entire party.

The Warpholes summoned once he reaches 300K HP would make really hard to do a proper pincer on him (sometimes impossible)

So what you want to do is to deplete his HP as close as 300K as possible and do a damage burst to leave him as close to 1 hp as possible. (You can't kill the boss this turn, he will always stay at 1 HP and summon the Warpholes)

After he summons the Warpholes you have an extra turn to pincer or hit him with areas (if he is at 1 HP) and finish him before he can cast Moonlight Sphere and kill your party.

A good way to deal with the Warpholes if you are having troubles with them is bringing Shin'en.

Beating Moon King with a farmable team (Bahl^ starter required):

If you got Bahl as a starter you can farm the dragon using only free characters + Bahl^.

As companions you will use 4 Skullsplitters and 2 Healing Rods

If you don't have Bahl^ continue reading for an alternative team with Grace^ + Snaip^.

Of course if you have Bahl^ + Snaip^ use both of them.

I have cleared the dragon at least 5 or 6 and with different situations, early burst or suboptimal burst, failed pincers, so the team can clear it with an acceptable consistency, of course the more you rush the more you risk and you are more likely to fail.

Unless you are in a real rush to get the companions I would recommend you to wait a little bit until you can make a better team for faster clearings but if you want to do it with this team is viable *of course, as always when using cheaper teams there is more RNG involved*

*For other teams and alternatives continue reading :D*

The team:

[​IMG]

How to proceed:

- First turns are probably the harder because the dragon starts the battle with 4 adds, you have 3 turns to kill these before he summons more.

- Each turn avoid the dragon attacks, always kill the adds first.

- After you kill the adds you will have 1-2 turns to focus on the boss so deplete his HP.

- He summons more adds, kill them, then continue depleting the dragon HP. Save at least 2 PowerPoint's.

- At 75% and 50% HP he will cast Lunacy on 3 party members. DONT PINCER or CHAIN this members, just make them stay away from the boss attacks. After one turn they will be back to normal.

- Continue depleting the boss HP until he is close to 300K. Use all your Taps + Physical impairs and double pincer him using a Power Point. Remember Odin^/Suoh^ + Velraine^/Bahl^ (Bahl^ and Suoh^ are always the 2nd pincer). Much better if the pincer is horizontal, even better if you can use some add to do a triple pincer.

- Now he summoned Warpholes. Pincer him again with a PP to finish him (or use some areas if he is really close to death). If you don't kill him he will cast Moonlight Sphere and kill your whole party.

- Kill any adds that could have been left.

- Repeat this fight until you get 6 Sun King and 6 Moon King

Alternative team for Grace starter.

If you don't have Bahl^ because you got Grace^ as starter but you have Snaip^ you can use this other team. If you don't have Snaip^ but you have other tappers or good DPS you can try with them. I don't think going with a Full farmable team + Grace^ is a good idea. Even in the case you could clear the Dragon with it (You maybe could) would be too slow and is not worth since by the time you want to farm this guy you should have get some better units :3

[​IMG]

And yes at the end of the video I show a valuable lesson about WHY WE HAVE TO KILL THE ADDS FIRST !!!! Rushing is never good!

If you have both Bahl^ and Snaip^ , for a better team you can use Suoh^ Snaip^ Bahl^ as physical attackers, the 4th character can be either a 2nd physical tapper, Shinen^ , Grace^ ........or Odin^ if we don't have anything better.

When tailoring your own team remember that you need:

- Units that can deal enough damage for the last burst and that can get rid of the adds in the turn they appear (if possible) These units shouldn't be very fragile so avoid non-recoded characters. Remember you need at least 1 tapper for the final burst (Palpa^, but you can bring more or different tappers if you have them)

- Some healing. A dedicated healer (like Amisandra^ or Amina^), shouldn't be needed, a regeneration unit and a couple of Healing Rods will work well enough. This is because you should be killing the mobs as they appear (unless you are using Olber^ but if you have him you won't need a lot of heal anyway)

Characters like Gegonago^, Palpa^ and Echo^ are ideal because they cover more than one function in our team (Healing + Control Time, Healing + Taps....)

This being said if you still feel you want more healing you can bring someone like Amina^/Amisandra^ BUT be careful with the Extend Chain during Lunacy attack, you don't want to chain affected units by mistake!!!

¡¡¡That's the base of the team you don't need anything else!!!!

Characters that make the farming easier:

- Moving time: Gegonago^, Echo^, Palpa^, Nazuna^, control time characters or companions, Tronic Gal Companion , Time Extension items

- Damage reduction: Invincible^ barrier if you are using the farmable team. If you have Olber^ use him instead of Invincible for much easier runs.

- More physical damage!!!. The more damage dealers you have (physical attackers or extra physical tappers) the shorter the fight and safer burst.

Examples physical attackers: Snaip^, Bahl^, Clara^, Grace^

Physical Tappers: Gatz^, Peyrna^, Tronic Gal^, Schweiz^, Annu^

- If you have Shinen^ with his OII he can also be a good addition to your team thanks to his Impair Skill (for the final burst) + Warphole Immunity (to finish the boss and the adds in the last turn).

Example of an ideal Team with Olber^ + 2 Tappers.

Now I'm going to show an example of what would be an "ideal" team. This is the team I used to farm Moon King myself and makes the fight really easy. The credits for the team go to @Silver_Mitsuki who gave me the exact composition and skills he was using.

Team composition:

- Damage reduction: Olber^. The combination of Capsules, Self Sacrifice and Evasive Arts allowed me to mostly ignore all the adds and at the same time tank the boss attacks with most of the units making the fight much easier and relaxed.

- Damage dealers:

Physical attackers Snaip^, Bahl^ + Physical Tappers: Schweiz^, Gatz^

- Moving time + Stealth: Gegonago^

- Healing^: Olber^ + Gegonago^

- Companions: You can use any physical companions you like; I put a different companion in each of my party members so you can see the different options. If you have none of these the old good Skullsplitter will do it. I like to use a CT companion on Gegonago^

The team:

[​IMG]

Links to other guides and sources

Moon King drops info from the wiki

Moon King drops info from the wiki

Other Forum Guides

Lunar King

Experience needed to level Moon and Sun Companions from TBc

Sun King

Sun King Z

Moon King

Moon King Z

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Chrismesco, Tharos, Jirokichi and 3 others like this.
  2. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

A good tip is that the King is always in a position where you can double pincer it without getting hit.

So if he's in the sides, he's going to do row attack. And if he's in the center, he's going to do either column or hollow attack.

Tharos and Rydia like this.
  3. Christian

Christian Active Member

if you know the pattern...the battle of sun/moon king is easy. Good job rydia two thumb for you.

Rydia likes this.
  4. Chrismesco

Chrismesco Member

Any ideas of the odds of getting a moon king otomo in the 80 luck chest ? Did it 7 times and got 4 lunacy shield and 3 metal minion ^...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  5. Rydia

Medals:
    I only have run it with 100L and I got my moons pretty easily so cant help you there.

Can u build a team with 100L?

6. Chrismesco

Chrismesco Member

In my current moon king team the lowest luck chars are BhalZ with 75 luck and OlberZ with only 27. I can take it to finish Bahl but don't think I will have the courage to finish OlberZ. Others are GatzZ, SuohZ, Peyrna and Shin'en all 100 luck.

EDIT:managed to kill it with AminaZ, Mizell^ and Invincible^. In fact I find it easier than using Bhal and/or olber as I can add some sun king companions and the enemies takes pretty big damages from non-elemental magic.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 2:26 AM
    Rydia likes this.
  7. Rydia

Medals:
    Gratz on killing him!!! Is really cool when people share their additional teams and strategiess that can work to kill it in an easier/faster way :3

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    Chrismesco likes this.
  8. Chrismesco

Chrismesco Member

Thanks! I was inspired by your dragon king teams guide for this swap. Ironically through, I got my first moon king companion after 2 100 luck runs on a... 80 luck chest. So to answer my first question:got the companion on a 80 luck chest after around 15 tries.

9. Rydia

Medals:
    For some reason I was superlucky and only needed ....3-4? runs of Moon King to get the 2 moon companions i needed for Sun King.

Of course days later while writing this guide I killed him over and over and over again with multiple teams to do test so is not like I skipped my share of grinding this thingie xDDDDD

10. Chrismesco

Chrismesco Member

I just did a third run with the 100 luck team and got a second moon king otomo on the 80 luck chest. As if using a full luck team increase the odds of getting one in the 80 luck chest. Anyway, time to see if I can take the sun king now!

Rydia likes this.
  11. Rydia

Medals:
    Like me pulling a Demon after I completed POT ^^ RNG is that charming xD

Good luck!

12. Moskentraumen

Moskentraumen Member

On the 'Olber /\ method', i lack Schweitz and Gego.
    Can i replace Schweitz with Palpa? And what would be a good replacement for Gego? A ct+4 mover or Echo?

13. Rydia

Medals:
    Yes, totally.

You can replace Schweiz with Palpa and Gego with Echo^ with her Echo O

14. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

I used the following team for Moon King:
    - Bahl^ with grand Peta
    - Suoh^ with grand Peta
    - Gatz^ with Chocobo
    - Korin^ with Korin O
    - Amina^ with anything you want, like Hourglass
    - Palpa^ with Tronic Gal

Korin is amazing here. I went from "Bahl dies in 2 Breath Attacks" to "Bahl consistently surviving". Also Palpa with Tronic Gal is absolutely wonderful.

Rydia likes this.