Hanging it up

Discussion in 'Rants & Accomplishments' started by Soupman, May 18, 2016.

1. Soupman

Soupman Member

After 600 days of consecutive login I am done. It has been fun but the last update seems too overwhelming for me. Have fun guys.

supergaijin and stomach ache like this.
  2. White Mage

White Mage Well-Known Member

Medals:
  3. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

I agree that this update is a little much if you don't have the (few) required components, but I think in the next few months we'll probably see something to make things a little more doable for people. Maybe check back then?

nilnilx likes this.
  4. Bare

Bare Well-Known Member

This is funny since for the longest time we've been dying for content that wasn't PvP cups and all we've really gotten are some new characters and gimmicky descends. You don't have to do everything day 1. Hop/Break mechanics change the game in perhaps a poor way, but changes happen and there is still fun to be had with the game.

Sean Bond likes this.
  5. FishInTheDark

FishInTheDark Forum Event Manager Staff Member

Just close your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist and go about doing whatever you've been doing. I don't understand how new content hurts old content if the old content wasn't affected.

6. Quartzel

Quartzel Well-Known Member

I don't consider these dragon gimmicky.
    They're really top of the line challenge.
    Even with the right characters you have to be skilled enough to move around properly for good pincers, and avoid traps/not forget capsules.

I think people are just annoyed at having to recode PalpaΛ for PDK, then get 6 Axion for Resplendent.
    Me personally, I think it's decent progression.

Anyway, there's story content coming up very soon. Might as well wait for that SoupMan.

Onark, ThatOneAnon and Sean Bond like this.
  7. tieuzbao

tieuzbao Active Member

Tempted too in "hanging it up" on many occasions myself. But the art of TB got me hanging around, albeit not as much as 2 years ago. Good luck and have fun on your next games.

8. Sean Bond

I think there's a decent argument to it being "gimmicky;" your pincers have to be perfect without any other augment-users than Palpa (I haven't been able to do it myself, yet, mainly because I can't get enough DPS together in a double pincer before Thrash), but with the right characters, it's incredibly simple. And the same thing goes for RDK; if you have one or more of the new graviton users, you can absolutely tear RDK apart, whereas if you don't you need (as far as I can tell, since I haven't played it) potentially at least 5 high-level SS axions + 1 Z + a perfect set up of magic buff + Matk.

Either way, not trying to say that these are bad challenges, but they're both heavily dependent on RNG, which is good for the game, but bad for all but the luckiest/most diligent players.

nilnilx likes this.
  9. Quartzel

Quartzel Well-Known Member

I'll agree with you that this is mostly content for diligent players.
    (the lucky part is moot, since there's Palpa Λ and Axion companions)

This kind of content was needed though.
    The last time we had something this challenging were the 3 descended when they first came out.
    (with the level cap at 70 and no companions)
    That was more than a year ago.

10. ThatOneAnon

ThatOneAnon New Member

OR with the right buddies :p it's as if MW wanted to troll all of the veterans who didn't keep their Tonberries after the MobiusFF event.

I've even started using two of the spots on my PDK team to train up some Lvl70+ characters. Ironically, one of them is Gatz^ right now, and I'll probably bring in Palpa once Odin^ is done :D

11. Sean Bond

Yeah, I'm really regretting the Mobius event right now. :confused: I wasn't particularly interested in Echo, so I only got her first and second jobs (I think?), and skipped the companions for the same reason. Now I'm salty as hell for not stocking up on Tonberries, and would kill for the event to pop up.

12. FishInTheDark

I would stock up on Ochu too. They might have a weird boss that disables healing abilities but you can still heal through attacks or something. We also know they are working on a counterattack event (or cup?) so just assume every event otomo might have some use at some point. :p

Sean Bond likes this.
  13. Sean Bond

*looks at Ochu* Damnit, that totally looks like something that'll be useful in some later event!

FishInTheDark likes this.
  14. Soupman

Soupman Member

Where I got burned out was the Palpa recode. I like the idea of recoding but the thoughts of having to SB her again was too much. I appreciate the new content but as a casual player having to have the right people for the new dungeon takes the fun out of the game for me.

15. FishInTheDark

I'm confused, why do you need to sb palpa again? How is the requirement for having the "right people" in this event different from Lamia, or Raijin, or 34-10 hard mode?

16. Soupman

Soupman Member

It seems every time I did not sb when the time came to pull for characters I pull them. It would be a lot of energy wasted to pull her again. This is the same with the recodes I did before such as Koko. I finally recode right before the guaranteed pull events and puller her twice. I really don't feel like having history repeat with all the new recodes and new characters. The grind is too much.

17. Nyquist

Nyquist Active Member

I think many people viewed this game more as a puzzle game than a game requiring twitch mechanics with collectibles. The time limit was there to limit the complexity of pincers. With the new additions of moving traps they seem to cater to younger crowd with good reflexes and precise movement so older folks even if they enjoyed this game would no longer be bothered to play it.

I like this game for the art, and it is cool that there are many characters that are collectible. I loved the puzzle aspect and liked that some gimmicks such as Grace's debuff that no longer works the same way as before. I mean I enjoyed the inventiveness and it made sense to me that any A or B class character would be capable to shine at a given dungeon. If a dungeon was required a very specific character, then it was co-op and people could help eachother. It was a community effort to find the best character that would solve all our problems, and usually it would not be a super rare one.

But for me a mobile game should be a game that can be played on the go and not a high grind mmorpg. There are games that are much more rewarding for the effort. It is just that for most casual players this game has become so daunting that the new content does not justify the time investment. I think that is the issue. The fact that most new characters were z and their art was subpar and could have passed for sub ss character art was sad. They are cool and I will want them, but this game had an acceptable story even if it was nothing earthshattering or amazing. Currently I wonder why am I fighting those dragons? What are Eidolons? Who created and where did the Otomos come from? These are just of few of the things that I find annoying not to know and that were never addressed. I find it unacceptable that collab events produce better quality content than the ones we have with the dragons. Give me at least a small incentive to fight them something to justify slaying innocent beings.

18. Ryung

Ryung Member

There is no point of playing if there is no challenge. I beat rdk without the new z chars just fine. I am using regencell and 80% 6 ss axion only. I had stopped playing for a long time and I just came back for the dragon. It's very challenging but it's fun. They finally make some end game contents I think it's fine how the game progress right now.

I saw one person beat rdk with just a and b chars that's very impressive. I dont think i can even do that.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Onark likes this.
  19. I_Like_Dirt

I_Like_Dirt Member

I agree, ryung. There really are two ways of looking at the game. One is analytically to get every character and level/sb them as quickly and efficiently as possible. For that line of thinking, the game is just a vast exercise in sbing. The other is to play the game and take on the challenges as they come without necessarily having all the ideal parts for them.

I tried sbing early on and figured out very quickly that I would hate the game if I did excessivr sbing on purpose, so I totally understand where a person would give up on the game if they felt they "had" to recode Palpa. My Palpa was 1.2% sbed because I never use her and now she's 50% because I recoded and use her sometimes. For me, these updates have made me more interested in the game again, because they're designed more for people to play and challeng themselves than to line everything up perfectly while running easy levels over and over again. Where you fall on that spectrum will determine how you feel about these updates.

Onark and Sean Bond like this.
  20. Sean Bond

Yeah, I think this is a pretty fair assessment. I don't 100% enjoy the way the newest events are handled (they seem way too stacked in favor of players with the new Zs), but the game for me is (and always has been) about getting the characters I like, leveling them up, and potentially recoding them. When they're battle-ready, they're usually the ones I use (I rarely use an optimal team, unless entirely necessary). I spend lotsssssssssssssssssssss of time leveling my characters my way, almost never SB them, and that's good enough to me.

I still really wish MW would (at some point) come up with a way to make the characters you have/have leveled permanent (sort of like transferring Pokémon through the generations of games); this game would become 10x more meaningful to me if I didn't feel like all my work was going to disappear in a year or two, when the servers go down.

Ether likes this.