How to Win at Raids

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Neofalcon, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Active Member

I’ve done QUITE a few raids in TB2, possibly more than anyone else so far:

[​IMG]

And while I’ve gotten quite a few groups that know what they’re doing and can kill the boss quickly and effortlessly, more often it’s a struggle not against the boss, but against the other players, who have no idea what to do, and end up undermining everyone else’s efforts. So I decided to write up a guide, to teach people what to do to succeed!

(This guide is a work-in progress, with many sections missing/incomplete. After all I’m busy actually playing TB2. And, y’know, sleeping or whatever).

The Golden Rule:

I’m going to start with the most important thing. The thing I wish I could scream into my microphone to have everyone else in the raid hear. If you take nothing else away from this guide, take away this:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON’T END YOUR TURN OVERLAPPING ANOTHER CHARACTER.

What am I talking about here? Basically, as you move around, you do not swap around other people characters as you move through them. You can, in fact, end your turn on top of another person’s characters! If you do this, however the results are absolutely disastrous: At the end of each movement phase, any units that are stacked on top of each other will be moved to another tile. EVERY unit will be moved. Meaning that if units are stacked on the same tile, that tile will become empty at the end of the movement phase, and there’s nothing anybody else can do about it.

(HERE’S WHERE I’LL PUT A GIF OR PICTURES THAT SHOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT)

So what you need to do, is as you move around, trying to fill up the sides of the boss, is not end you move on the same tile as someone else. Move fast, get a tile, and stick there. If someone else moves into your tile and stops, move off of it.

It’s absolutely imperative that people do this. If everyone actually does, you can get full 5 pincers and win in like 2-3 rounds. I’ve done it. It’s glorious.

The Basics:

Now that we’ve got the Golden Rule out of the way, let’s move onto the basic mechanics of how the Raid bosses work.

(I can’t be bothered to fill this out now, come back later)

(To do: Explain attacks phases being combined, explain chat, teach people the difference between horizontal and vertical, Green = your damage, not healing)

Boss Phases:

Phase 1: Start

You start in phase one, and the boss will alternate between a horizontal and vertical attack. Simply alternate between making horizontal and vertical chains. So if the boss uses a horizontal attack, follow it with a vertical chain, since you know those sides are safe while he does the vertical attack.

Sometimes the boss will do a poison attack in this phase. It does basically nothing, but just pretend he used whatever attack he was going to use and continue the pattern as normal

Phase 2: 50% HP

At 50% hp, the boss will enter phase 2, which is the same as phase 1, but with a trick – the round after the boss falls below 50% hp and enters phase 2, he will REPEAT THE LAST ATTACK HE DID, instead of proceeding with the pattern. What this means, is that after you attack the boss and reduce his HP to below 50%, you need to do the same chain you just did again, instead of switching.

Since a lot of players are confused by this, you should use the in-game chat to spam the direction you need everyone to chain in when you see his hp fall below 50%, so people understand.

Phase 3: ~25%

When the boss hits this part, he gains a bunch of buffs (including DEF and MDEF), and starts charging up a big attack that will one-shot people. You should ignore the one-shot attack, and just chain the boss in the same orientation you did on the previous chain, hoping to finish off the boss without having to deal with this phase

This phase is easily skippable with a competent group – if you’re consistently getting 3+ pincers each round, you won’t have to deal with this phase at all. This is ideal, because this phase sucks, and can easily suck 6+ minutes of your time, or even cause you to fail. So please follow the golden rule so nobody has to suffer phase 3, k?

(Actual information on attacks used in Phase 3 for people who get stuck in this hell coming later. For now, just try to skip it).

What Units to Bring:

The unit that everyone should bring is 2 Lvl 40+ King Orblings (a recruitable unit)

Why is King Orbling so good? Because he has MATK +10%, Chain.

This skill is ridiculously OP for raids - he gives +10% MATK to every character in the entire chain, for each pincer. So with 2 king orblings, and with 5 pincers, you give +100% MATK to the entire chain for two turns. If you can steady pincer for 5 (good luck lol) that's a constant +200% MATK. JUST FROM THE TWO YOU BRING.

Honestly, if everyone brought 2 king orblings, you could probably one-shot the raid boss - I've been carrying groups with just 2.

Because King orbling is a Mage, you should of course equip him with you best +MATK weapons (area doesn’t matter for raids).

You can farm King Orbling very easily at the start of chapter 2 – Just start the chapter, kill the 3 bosses right there, then quit the chapter and restart it. Drop rate is ~25%, and you should farm a bunch and merge them to get his SB high enough that his skills always activate.

Rewards:

Rank Bonus (Based on Ranking): Co-op Medals/Random Equipment

Speed Bonus (If you kill boss <~2.5 minutes): Zapper C

Participation Trophy: Mighty-C that gives an error and can eat your guardians. Do not use. Now fixed! All good to use now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Lyric, Cewlin, Estavali and 5 others like this.
  2. Rydia

Rydia PinkPikaPony Staff Member

Medals:
    Amazing guide!!!!!!

Thank your for it!!!

Also glad that you included this:

3. icehro

icehro Active Member

4. Akroma

Akroma Active Member

Nice guide! I am following your advices, and it helps killin the boss, but i am always at the bottom of the ranking... i am using a lvl 50 tsutsura and her ice attacks should damage the boss quite a bit. But in the end, even fire guardians that actually heal the boss have a better rank... i admit i cannot move both of my characters each turn, is it part of the reason why i end up at the bottom of the rank?

5. SmilyT1

SmilyT1 Member

Welp, I should just delete mine.

6. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

I want to point out that I’ve been hosting raids like all day today

For free

Idk if it’s a bug or a release celebration thing, but I haven’t been charged stamina for hosting

Maybe others have had this benefit too?

7. Screwattack94

Screwattack94 Active Member

I also hosted raids for free.

I think it's a bug, they would've mentioned something if it would've been a promo.

8. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

What a wonderful reward... oh and honestly thank you for this guide.

One question, where a can i get a list of weapons/items that improve Magic UP.

9. ynuohc

ynuohc Member

I have some of them. Screenshot_2017-09-24-21-26-15.png Screenshot_2017-09-24-21-26-26.png Screenshot_2017-09-24-21-27-19.png Screenshot_2017-09-24-21-27-55.png

10. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

11. PommeCitron

PommeCitron New Member

2x King Orbling, 1x KO 1x Leviathan or 2x Leviathan ?

12. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Active Member

2x KO for sure - Ice isn't even effective against Fire in TB2, so KO still wins out with its buffs.

13. Tempoltone

Tempoltone Member

Why is dna recode gated by coop coin,its so terrible