I'm worried about the future of this game.

Discussion in 'General' started by jarigoni, Oct 14, 2017.

1. jarigoni

jarigoni New Member

All the bugs, errors, apologies, huge upcoming compensation...I love this game but it's a mess. I feel like we've been playing a beta or soft launch of a mobile application.

Meteclectyk likes this.
  2. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    That's the current state of the videogame industry: releasing a bugged game is considered ok now... well, maybe not as broken as TB2...

Bugs can be pretty annoying, but what actually worries me is the amount of Energy given as compensation, as they are making the situation for the current and the following users pretty "disparate"... but I guess that as long the game will stay focused on the coop features is ok?

But yeah, is not a big launch for them, they should have changed that "Summer" with "Autumn" and apologise once instead of releasing an incomplete product and giving away all that Energy. Placing the name of Sakaguchi near of a project like this is just... insulting, in my opinion.

Note how story, guardians, locations and so on are already (mostly) defined: the problems are mainly fault of the programmers this time.

3. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

With all the bugs and lack of foresight for some of the issues like backlash for abruptly nerfing guardians for balance adjustments, lack of maintaince announcements(initially), mishandling of paid energy privileges, and the mixed guardian and equipment pacts it really doesn't seem like they spent much time testing and planning the technical aspects of the game out, even though they had a beta period. And how can such basic features like inventory sort and achievements be bugged so much from the beginning that they have to completely take it down indefinitely to fix? Even the fact that they have the entire world map and story mostly planned out but don't even have the first 5 chapters ready to play seems to scream "rushed release".

If they had delayed release to ready more bug-free content for players to occupy themselves with instead of trying to churn out new content weekly they wouldn't have to apologize for being a disappointment when they fail to meet expectations. It would definitely have been better received if it wasn't marred by so many frustrating problems and stagnating content. Since the game release seemed to be on target for a while with various collaborators meant to be featured monthly I wonder who is responsible for the schedule being derailed, Silicon Studios?

4. Rosgath

Rosgath Active Member

That's a tough call and not one I'm willing to argue over. Placing blame canbe important sometimes, but in this case we aren't the only ones suffering here. I would actually say that Mistwalker is taking the most flak right now, despite the fact that the majority of problems are technical atm. (And Silicon Studios is handling the technical here for the most part) MW started the franchise, and Sakaguchi made a big hullabaloo over the fact that he is planning a long series here on top of making a really big claim of weekly content, something no other game similar to this one has even come close to. (Most mobile games seem to revolve around monthly updates with occasional patching mid month)

If TB2 flops, MW loses what could potentially become a flagship series for them. We may not even see Terra Wars if problems continue like this for much longer.

I have to agree though, TB2 needed some more polish before it was released to the public. A late November or mid December release with 10 chapters available and all in game systems working at at least 80% on release would make this game feel much less like a beta. As is, the almost non functioning achievements and desperately critical sort functions not working is doing a lot to drive away customers.

Meteclectyk likes this.
  5. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

Oh man, I see what you mean. I visited the reddit to look for some unrelated info and there's like an entire page of threads dedicated to complaining and blaming MW/SS(mostly MW since they are the face of the project) for the state of the game. They make things sound incredibly bleak :S It's sad to see things have ended up like this, especially since Sakaguchi was so psyched for this to take off.

6. Moto

Moto Active Member

I feel really bad for Guchi, and I don't normally feel sorry for most developers. You can tell he wants it to be a success and I can see his vision of how he wanted the game to be but boy everything is just so out of touch and unfinished with this game. I can't wait for the compensation to happen because I'll know if I'm sticking by or not.

7. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Yes the Reddit makes things sound incredibly awful.

But that is actually not at all an indication of the health of the game.

Redditers (and social media users in general) can easily fall into a trap of thinking that they are seeing the true state of things when really what they are observing is a relatively small sample size of usually similarly-minded people. This is called an "echo chamber" or a "bubble".

There has got to be some more objective data out there somewhere that would be more indicative of the health of this game. I wouldn't necessarily read Reddit and feel like I had a good handle on the situation.

8. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

Of course, but all the negative comments here and there coupled with the huge compensation and the apology a while back seems to really indicate that they aren't in a good place.

9. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Don’t believe your echo chamber!

There was lots of compensation given at the start of TB1 as well.

10. Quartzel

Quartzel Well-Known Member

Umm... No, not really.
    During TB1 soft launch, I believe they compensated like only 2 times, and they only gave out a mere 3-5 energy.

TB2 launch is really a crapshoot in comparison.

11. Moto

Moto Active Member

Same thing happened with TB1 and luck. 50% of the people here in these forums were defending it and reddit was overly negative. Look how that turned out.

12. Snooze

Snooze Member

At the moment i feel we're playing a bugged tutorial.
    The most annoying thing for me is the moves of my units during combat. They're slow and feel like moving through mud or jelly.
    The release of TB1 was not flawless but far better than this one

nilnilx and Silver Mitsuki like this.
  13. Rosgath

Rosgath Active Member

MW's plan for TB2 is pretty obvious at this point.

Sakaguchi probably looked at what they already had done and the pace that they were going at and requested a timetable from SS. They negotiated something and SS presented a tentative plan which, under ideal circumstances, would allow them to code and produce 1 story chapter a week plus events. Unfortunately, shit happens and when it did it exceeded the limits of the ideal estimate SS had provided.

Meanwhile, MW knew that they had very little actual content to release in September but, they were willing to release with what they had because SS had 'promised' that weekly updates would be happening (in reality they probably didn't promise that, they just produced a convincing timetable to indicate that they could do it). MW was counting on those very frequent updates to make up for the lack of initial content and pressured SS to do an earlier release. Because those updates haven't happened due to the rushed release (causing lots of bugs to go unfixed or even undetected prior to), TB2 feels like it has Very little content (more like a barely finished beta tutorial really) and hasn't been as well received as it really deserves.

So to be clear, this situation isn't just the fault of SS or MW, but both companies are equally at fault. MW wrote a big check that SS couldn't cash. MW needed to have a little patience and do better planning for failure, and SS needed to be more thorough on bug and feature checking.

MW/SS are really banking on this update Thursday though. A lot is riding on it. What needs to happen this Thursday is as follows( imho):
    1.) If full sort function can't be achieved, at least basic sorting needs to come online bug free.
    2.) A new story chapter and a new co-op raid should come out (though this second one is less necessary). The raid needs to provide significantly better rewards than Inferno Keep.
    3.) The compensation promised (duh)
    4.) Some kind of timeframe needs to be announced to fix achievements, but MW/SS does not need to commit to this date, only give a tentative estimate.

If all of the above points are achieved, TB2 can definitely make a sound recovery and quickly. If none of the above happen, TB2 may never see the same level of success as TB1 or if it does, it won't be for years to come.

14. ynuohc

ynuohc Member

I just thought i only have this issue,
    Also everytime when battle with monster on the field it show loading screen again and again on every battle,it force my mind only want take all treasure,kill the Boss or go to yellow point to finishing fast that chapter,i hope they fix it in future maintenace.

15. Caliban

Caliban Active Member

I am in the camp that the entire menu system needs to be redesigned from the ground up. Probably not going to happen this week, but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this. It's especially painful while the wiki is still in its infancy, so not only am I wasting time clicking around the in-game interface pointlessly looking for things that aren't there, but I'm having to flip to the wiki all the time, only to find the info I'm looking for isn't there either. Ugh.

Me too! I am glad someone brought this up, because this game seems SOOOO unresponsive compared to TB1. I'm flipping back and forth, and TB1 is crisp and clean, TB2 feels laggy. I assumed it was my old phone finally showing its age (OP3) but maybe it's just lazy programming by SS? It's just dragging tiles around a grid, entirely 2D, there's no reason for it to be anything but instant. I wonder if people with newer phones iPhone 8/GS8) experience the sluggishness?

Neofalcon and nilnilx like this.
  16. Joe

Joe Active Member

Is it just me or the way the guardians are laid out in TB2 makes it really hard to memorize the names of the guardians unlike TB1 where the names are in the main grid easy to recognize and memorize.

Clicking twice just to see the name of one guardian is just annoying!!

nilnilx likes this.
  17. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

Nope it's everyone. I think they improved on the lagginess from first release but it's still pretty sluggish and not smooth like in TB1. Compared to TB1 we have 2 extra CT seconds yet even with CT+4 I'm having trouble setting up elaborate chains because of the sluggish movement. Compared to the other fixes they need to apply is not as big a deal though.

And I doubt that they have much fixed for next maintenance. I think they are hoping that people will be occupied with the compensation and new pact update. When they nixed the end dates for Leviathan and Inferno Keep I had a feeling they didn't have replacement content ready for rotation. At the same time Zmey was released a bit early perhaps(due to story chapters not being on schedule), because the equipment made available by the story currently is a bit too weak even fully unleashed.

18. Snooze

Snooze Member

I have TB2 installed both on iphone 6 and ipad Air 2, and it's exactly the same...

ynuohc likes this.
  19. swl

swl Member

honestly, i don't care anymore for TB2 future, begin from they separate the server, infinite pool draw, drag not responsive, debuff skills, bugs, error screen pop up, mess co-op gameplay, wtf is this...

20. mazin

mazin Active Member

I wonder how many of you have played tb1 since the beginning...It was also a beta, full of bugs and poor both in story and side quests. Tb1 was better because there isn’t infinite pools and complete the game wasn’t impossible...(until recode, luck and companions)
    I agree with you for the beta feeling, but have the same feeling with most of triple A game also...
    Mw/ss are little and maybe they rushed.
    Tb2 is a mobile game thinked to play few times per day not many hours per day like we do.
    Give they time to fix.
    :) :)

Rosgath and Todd like this.