Lamia Eidolon 101 Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Arbitrary, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arbitrary

Arbitrary Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Terra Battle Lamia Guide

[​IMG]

Lamia is one of the more difficult Eidolons yet released. It is incredibly unforgiving and can send people packing who are unprepared before they even reach Lamia herself. If you're new to doing the Lamia eidolon, there will be no one who can carry you, you must know how the battle works to be able to help everyone complete it.
    Lets get started explaining it then shall we?

1. First thing you're probably asking yourself is what kind of battle is Lamia and what units should I bring?

Lamia is a very condition heavy battle, with pretty close to every affliction known in the game being used against you. This means that you're going to need a lot of ward units and cleanse units. Wards being units that are protected from certain conditions, and cleanse curing those conditions.
    Approximately 3-4 of the units you bring should be these types of units to try and protect your units from all the conditions you'll face.

Relevant Ward and/or Cleanse Units at LVL(35) Cap:

Bonna: Petrification/Paralysis (cure all + ward self)
    Zeera: Petrification/Demoralization (cure all + ward self)
    Rzonand: Sleep/Confuse (cure all + ward self)
    Kana: Paralysis/Confuse (cure all + ward self)
    Eileen: Sleep (cure all + ward self)
    Amisandra: Death (ward self + chain)
    Gaiga: Death (ward self + chain)
    Palpa: Sleep/Confuse/Paralysis/Demoralization/Antidote (cure area(2))

The best units are ones that have both cure and ward, excluding amisandra who wards against instant death. Wards are typically more useful than cures, because the most common conditions in this stage last 2 turns which can, and more typically will be waited out rather than cured. The exception to waiting out a condition comes to petrification, since this one last approximately 20 turns, and makes that unit immovable. This should make either bonna or zeera a priority in having on any lamia run.
    The name of the game is trying as much as possible to poison the enemy units, while taking as few conditions from them as possible.
    You'll notice I said you need to poison the enemy units, which brings me to my next point on the remaining 2-3 units you need to bring that aren't about wards or cleansing.

Poison Units are absolutely essential in this Eidolon. This is your main source of damage, and only way to put any real damage on everything but the crocodile looking enemies (Perentie). This is because most units in this eidolon, dodge the vast majority of melee attacks, and all have very high magic resistance (AKA mages & elemental weapon units are not useful here).

Relevant Poison Units at LVL(35) Cap:

Zaffite (Poison Area(2))
    Ellvern (Poison Area(2))

Bringing 1-2 of these units is essential. Bringing 2 is typically a safer bet since if you're only poison unit dies along the way, its basically game over.

If you don't possess either of these units, its possible to bring starwhip or vial chucker which are monster units. It is highly recommended that you try and avoid using these if possible, as they are 1 shot by crocodiles, but if you want a challenge or have no other choice, they are a possibility. Keep in mind if you do use either of them, they must be used by the host, as both guest players units get hit by a crocodile on the first turn of stage 1.

*Confirmed win with Vial Chucker as poisoner by Laura Lita*

Which brings me to the last unit you'll need to bring, simply to get rid of the pesky crocodiles that whirlwind in your face. These enemies are the only units susceptible to melee damage, but are also the only unit immune to poison. Only one melee unit is necessary, and will have to be a powerful unit capable of killing the crocodiles more or less by themselves. Here are some capable units with some nice boons they bring to the table.

Suggested Melee Units at LVL(35) Cap:

**Olber: heals and produces capsules to increase defence for all units.
    *Bajanna: has death ward self
    Sheena: has +2 sec time control.
    M'acuri: 1000 spears (does 1000 damage regardless of defence and never misses if activated)
    Zuzu: 1000 ray sword (same as 1000 spears)

(Most melee units will be OK, higher SB (Skill Boost %) is better to make skills activate more often)

Now that you've chosen your units to bring, which eidolon should you bring to help you defeat lamia? eidolons probably haven't been terribly useful to many people so far in the game, but in this battle they actually really shine. You can fighting lamia that much easier by bringing the right eidolons and is almost, but not entirely, a requirement.

Relevant Eidolons:

**Chaos tier 2+
    *Xerxes tier 2+
    Valkyrie tier 2+
    Artemis tier 2+

Chaos is the mvp of eidolons for this fight, because with a tier 2 chaos, you can stall enemy units for a turn. This is useful if you happen to be in a bad situation, but also to let poison have another turn to do damage before enemy units are cleansed by lamia.
    Only one melee damage eidolon is necessary, but is still of great importance. Xerxes tier 2 is the best choice for a melee eidolon, because he can poison units as well, but is not a requirement. The melee eidolon doesn't come in handy until almost the very end of the boss fight, so if you're the one with the melee unit, save the S powerpoint for your teammates with chaos until then.

Other Relevant Units:

Bone Killer (Nullify Heal under the lvl 35 cap)

Bone killer is an exclusive character, so most people will not have him, but he can use nullify heal which will stop lamia from curing poison on herself and her units with panacea.

2. What are the enemy units like and how should I go about fighting them?

There are 4 types of units in the battle excluding Lamia herself.

[​IMG]

Each enemy with an affliction only has an area of effect, of 1 space.

The types of ailments they inflict are labeled 1 or 2. They use both afflictions, but only one on any given turn. They will always use one if they can, and will always use them in 1 on the first turn, 2 on the second, rinse repeat. If you're watching the battle and not making a tower of cards in real life when its not your turn, you should know which one they are going to use. If you know which affliction they are you going to use, you can minimize the damage done to your team.

The picture above is a good example.
    Bonna is snuggled up against 3 units, 2 of which are going to use a condition on her. One of them is particularly nasty since it lasts 20 turns (petrification), but luckily she's warded against it and she will only take sleep which lasts for 2 turns. If there was a unit that was petrified next to the unit circled in red, you wouldn't be able to move them on the next turn due to petrification and get them to safety if they are still within its radius when it casts death. The one circled in red is the most dangerous to your units so be wary of them, especially if you're doing lamia without death ward, or petrification cure.

The one circled in green is the only unit that is susceptible to melee, and is one of the only units besides lamia that will do any real damage to you. It isn't numbered because if any of your units are next to enemy units it will pincer, and if not it will do an area(1) attack next to your units. These units are safe to pincer, so they're great to use to activate a poison units aoe on the other enemies, but try and get rid of them quickly as their damage isn't weak.

3. Luring for damage mitigation

If you know how crocs work, you can kill them very quickly and easily, if you don't, they can seem to be much more troublesome. Knowing how to lure them them where you want, and dealing with them quickly and efficiently will make lamia start to feel much easier once used properly.

Crocs have a an aggro priority:

Pincer > Grouped Units > Lowest HP

A croc will look for pincers first, which is by far the easiest to deal with in terms of who takes the damage and how much. If there aren't any available it'll attack several units, and if that's not available, it'll attack your most vulnerable unit.
    The best answer is to offer the croc a pincer. Crocs will attack first on 1,3, and 4. You can't do anything about the attack on stage 1, but you can on stage 3 and 4. Here is an example of luring on stage 3:

[​IMG]

On stage 2, before the last unit died, kuscah was placed on space B6 (see section 5 for chart of space locations) with the rest of the units off to the sides. Luring crocs isn't necessarily required, but it will make the fight much more calculated and increase your lamia win %.

4. Stage layout

[​IMG]

~ 4 stages total
    ~ The units circled black are where they always begin the stage, and give you a turn before they do anything.
    ~ The units circled in yellow get a turn when you start the stage before you are allowed a turn

Before you go straight into the boss battle, you can make the battle much easier by being prepared for the last floor. Read the next section on how to go into the final stage and get rid of minions that could be troublesome if you don't take them out early.

5. Excerpt from Lamia Strategy thread, NinthGhosts post for Floor 4 setup

Here is what you do at floor 3:
    1. Kill the Perentie with a physical DPS and poison 2 remedy mobs.
    2. With one remaining mob (preferably yellow or purple), poison it when it is safe.
    3. When this last mob is about to die, position units in E5(physical DPS) and B2(remedy unit). Refer picture below.
    [​IMG]
    It is most crucial to get E5 and B2, then with remaining time left move other units to Green area. If all goes wrong in floor 3 at least get B2 in position before floor transitions and hope the Perentie moves to a favorable position.

If you get to Lamia floor with these positions in place:
    1. Perentie will start by pincering the DPSer against Basilisk (grey mob)
    2. On player turn, FIRST move Poison unit to B4 then move DPSer to pincer Perentie. Try NOT to use Summon this turn, BUT if units are getting petrified this turn then do summon Chaos. Use a PP if your units are Demoralized (or to be save just use a PP if available)
    3. Perentie will die (if DPSer is not demoralized) and mobs + lamia poisoned.
    4. Remedy mobs will then move and act. On player turn, pincer any mob available and trigger S if the current player has Chaos. Do not fear any status as Chaos will give bonus turn to move your units out of status range. If the current player has not Chaos then move units out of status range and let next player summon.
    5. If successful mobs will die from poison before lamia cast panacea.
    6. Lamia boss fight 100% hp ~ 25% hp

Once you make it to the final stage, hopefully with all your units, you're finally going to fight lamia. Lamia is only really susceptible to poison damage, so if you lost your poison units along the way, or during the boss fight, its pretty much game over.

Hopefully you've killed the first wave of minons, as they can be extremely troublesome during the boss fight. If you don't you'll find it that lamia likes to push your units up against edges, with minions often closing off the sides trapping them. This is also why its better to spread your units out on the last stage, far from the edges if possible. This will often keep lamia from pining units along the sides, or pining fewer units.

Lamia's fight pattern:
    turn 1: Does nothing
    turn 2: Nullify Heal Area(1) + breath (doesn't hurt, but pushes your units back)
    turn 3: Panacea (all) + Ram Area(1) (does significant damage, will often kill if unit is not at full health)
    turn 4+: Repeat 2 - 3

Take note that she will summon more minions every few turns during the battle, but only 2 units, one being the crocodile melee enemy. If there is still an affliction type enemy that she summoned alive, she will not summon another.

Watch which turn lamia is on, you'll want to poison her on the turns she uses nullify heal and breathe. If you poison her on those turns she will take poison damage for a turn, rather than immediately curing herself, and ramming your units. Chaos can also be handy here to help make her sustain poison damage for an extra turn.

Be careful to not nullify heal remedy units if possible as it will stop them from not only healing, but from curing any conditions.

7. Lamia boss Fight 25% hp ~ 0 hp

The turn after lamia has reached 25% hp or less, she will change the phase of the battle. She leads this phase off by casting paralyze, confuse, and petrify in an area(1), so make sure you're watching her hp and have your units safely out of range. She will also summon 6 crocodile melee units. This is the reason you have one person bring a melee eidolon.

[​IMG]

The crocodiles will have a 3 turn timer on them, and it's possible to defeat them before they get a chance to attack you. Bringing the melee eidolon and saving an S powerpoint for this point in the battle will take out much of the guess work on whether you'll defeat them in time or not.

From 25% ~ 0% hp the lamia will no longer move, and her combo is now even more simple.

Lamia's fight pattern:
    turn 1: Ram Area(1)
    turn 2: Ram Area(1) + Panacea(all)
    turn 3+: Repeat 1 - 2

She'll keep with summoning units every few turns like she has for the entire battle, but other than that your basically scott free if you've dealt with the crocs.

8. Boss fight demonstration, courtesy of NinthGhost:

9: Other Helpful Links

Lamia tips thread: http://terrabattleforum.com/threads/lamia-tips-share-them-here.6964/

Terra Battle wiki Lamia page: http://terrabattle.wikia.com/wiki/Lamia

Good luck and happy Lamia hunting :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Nyrsth, smilylynx, PrimeTime and 17 others like this.
  2. Kylu

Kylu Active Member

Great guide. I've been bringing Bajanna for dps + she has death ward self.

Arbitrary likes this.
  3. Arbitrary

Medals:
    Thx ^^ and thats a good point ill add her to suggested melee units :O

4. NinthGhost

NinthGhost Well-Known Member

Medals:
    A fairly successful strategy I have been running is to pincer the hypnotoad vertically with a Poison unit right below the toad to poison all mobs+Lamia on the first turn. Then summon chaos the 2nd or 3rd turn, if you summoned chaos 1st turn then Lamia will be able to cast Panacea in time to cure all.

Ginnoji, conndubya and Arbitrary like this.
  5. NinthGhost

Medals:
    The croc is fairly easy to kill so any physical units should actually do the job, some players prefer to bring Yukken and Upibros for their CT3 which is quite useful in this fight where moving units are of importance.
    Also a note on Zuzu and Ma'curi, you have to becareful not to use them to pincer Lamia around 25% HP as they might set of Lamia's status area spam unintended when you pincer her with them.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Ginnoji, conndubya and Arbitrary like this.
  6. Arbitrary

Medals:
    Interesting, so you're saying lamia's first turn isnt effected by chaos? Thats good to know.
    fair enough, tbh I had wondered what the minimum dps requirement was, I figured I'd include units I see the most in Lamia runs. I'll change that part slightly.

7. NinthGhost

Medals:
    yes i have proof on video (uploading)

now to think of it actually mac and zuzu is ok, just becareful not to pincer her with them when she is close to 25% HP. in fact after 25% Hp they can kill Lamia slowly if your poisoner is dead.

conndubya and Arbitrary like this.
  8. Arbitrary

Medals:
    I dont know if I'll recommend that in the guide, but ya it's a nice damage bonus if you pincer lamia using one of them during turns you intend to poison her.

I believe you on that ninth xD but ya linking it into this thread would be cool ^^

9. NinthGhost

Medals:
    Generally it's not recommended to pincer Lamia at all (being pushed back each time is quite dangerous if there remedy mobs around) but when she is alone then you can pincer her safely.

For now I have this video to show how to poison 1st turn and summon chaos 2nd turn.

10. Arbitrary

Medals:
    It's dangerous if theres a skull enemy unit nearby, otherwise it's not that dangerous. just make sure that most other units are a safe distance and you keep 1 healer from getting null heal debuff and that if there is an enemy unit that has a possibility of afflicting one of them, that its not their only unit so you dont skip turns :v If you cleared the first wave properly you'll only really have to deal with 1 or 2 enemy remedy units generally.

Nice demonstration btw, Ill link it into the guide ^^

conndubya and NinthGhost like this.
  11. Brakkis

Brakkis Active Member

To note, she doesn't always summon 2 new mobs to the fight. She will always summon a new Perentie even if the previous summoned Perentie is still alive. But if she summons a Perentie and Basilisk and you don't kill the Basilisk, she won't summon another status mob. She'll only ever have 1 summoned status inflicting mob out at a time after you kill the initial 3 of her wave.

I could be mistaken but I've never seen multiple status mobs get summoned out. We've had runs where she summons the purple one and we just go and ignore it for the most part and no other status mob comes along.

Arbitrary likes this.
  12. NinthGhost

Medals:
    I always try to kill what ever remedy mobs she summon for 2% coin boost drop :D

13. Brakkis

Brakkis Active Member

I go after Basilisks and the almighty Hypnotoads. The purples I generally don't make an effort to take out. If they get in range of a Lamia pincer and get the poison, great. If not, meh. They're easily the least threatening of her units.

14. kumakier

kumakier Member

Nice guide, this is what i have been waiting for :D.

Arbitrary likes this.
  15. keivn91

keivn91 Active Member

Some players actually refused me bringing Baj and Rzo when Lamia was just released and went to battle without DPS at all. I could join a lot of games just because people refused my team (I'm cool w/ that, but Baj is my pride), I hope this open some eyes. Nice guide! 9th, Arb and friends, you guys rock :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. Mat Cauthon

Mat Cauthon Active Member

Does Ma'curi's thousand spears hit every time?. I've got him with a SB of aprox. 70% and it seems that it hits every enemy during every lamia I've played

Arbitrary likes this.
  17. Raijinili

Raijinili Well-Known Member

Medals:
    I've seen two Basilisks before. Are you saying it's because we didn't kill the other?
    Yes, Tharos said so.

Arbitrary likes this.
  18. Brakkis

Brakkis Active Member

Ya, if there were two basilisks it's because the initial one that spawns with her wasn't killed prior to her summoning reinforcements. Which means somebody messed up poisoning mobs!

Arbitrary and conndubya like this.
  19. keivn91

keivn91 Active Member

Never saw 1000 miss, even when demo'ed it hits! Awesome right!

Arbitrary likes this.
  20. Arbitrary

Medals:
    ill add that as a noted feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.