Moving from taigachat to Discord: what do you think?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Silver Mitsuki, Aug 26, 2017.

Discord: yay or nay?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2017.
  1. I'm pro-Discord

70.3%
  2. I think that everything should stay as it is

29.7%
  1. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    Kino_Logo6_copia (1).png

Greetings!

Just by looking at the title of the thread I'm sure that you already understood where I'm getting at: the TBF Staff has been thinking since some time to move most of the "random talks" from the legendary taigachat of TBF to Discord, and we'd like to know what do you guys think about it.

The Reasons

Back on March 2017, TBF broke for few days: accessing the forum was impossible for almost everybody, and @Rydia had the great idea to open a temporary Discord Server to keep the community together for the whole period of the outage. From that episode the days have passed, people who used to meet there daily moved back on TBF and the server was left unmoderated, but this whole experience gave us a glance of what TBF could be.

As part of the forum, Taigachat is right now one of the best tools to stay informed about what's happening in TB and TBF, still it has some limitations as:
    • Its use from some mobile devices/browsers is slow,
    • Since few months, chat doesn't always scroll automatically to some users;

So, as not me nor Rydia are the Community, we'd like to hear your voice before making a definitive change: what do you guys think if we'd move the chat to Discord?

Before taking a decision, here is a list of Cons and Pros about Discord. Please, read them all before commenting:

Cons
    • TBF and Discord are 2 different things, this means that:
      • You'll need to create a Discord account, in case you still don't have one;
      • You have to agree with Discord ToS.
    • The access from some devices appear to be slow;

Pros
    • Chat isn't bugged as the current one, and features like thumbnails for multimedial content and the low cooldown between messages contribute to provide a more pleasant experience
    • It will be possible to access the chat more easily via web, mobile and desktop apps, and they all come with multiple notification features
    • Chatbots support!
    • Multiple text and voice channels, to keep Terra Battle away from the random talks, and TB2 talks away from TB1
    • Different roles make easier to look for help: groups like @TerraBattle1 and @TerraBattle2 can be used to draw the other people's attention
    • More focus on the most recent important events and threads thanks to the pins, which give way more space than how much we currently have on top of the chat

The Chatbots!

Now, among many points there is only one thing that might be worrying: what about the forum?

Fear not my fellow Terra Battlers, because the solution to this problem can be found bolded on the previous list!

Lately we've developed 2 Chatbots that will help us all to stay informed on everything that happens on TBF even from the Discord App, giving at the same time more light on the important topics of the forum and information about the active events in Terra Battle:

Crawler Orbling

This cute little ball of... whatever material the TB Orblings are made of will help you to not forget about TBF!

First of all a word for the current chat: the Discord Server won't "materially" replace taigachat.
    Users who want to keep using this old chat of TBF are free to do it and its content will be mirrored on a channel of the Discord Server, but users from Discord won't be able to reply to their messages without entering the forum.
    In addition, the users from taigachat will be allowed to attract the attention of the Discord users with selected tags like @TB1 (more information on these will come in a later date).

Three more channels will also list:
    • The hottest threads on TBF,
    • The help requests,
    • The most recent status updates,
    Giving this way to the most important topics the importance they deserve :)

PROTO!

Some of you already had a chance to try it: Proto is a bot developed months ago to keep informed the users about everything that is related to Terra Battle:
    • sends scheduled notices about the currently open Metal Zones, the upcoming streams, ending and starting events and much more;
    • capable to retrieve guides and other useful content from the forum;
    • deeply integrated with my TBc, will help the users to get the information they need when they need them most;
    • ...more!

Final words

Please keep in mind that this Discord thing will influence only the users active in chat: TerraBattleForum.com will continue to exist and to work as always, same for the old chat, that will still be moderated but probably not much active anymore.

As at the moment the TBF Staff needs to finalize some decisions, the Discord Server is planned to be released in about a week.

So, what do you guys think? Do we have your blessing to proceed? :)

2. Azure

Azure Active Member

Sounds cool, but the first days the mods will need to be around a bit more to help everyone transition into the proper channels.

And limit the use of @here and @everyone, during your test phase I got a couple of empty notifications and if you will allow tbf chat to interact via the mirror then it can get a bit messy if someone starts spamming that when trying to get help in tbf.

3. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    @here and @everyone will be disabled in order to not bother the users who don't play TB actively ;)

More information about the available tags will be shared at the opening.

Rydia likes this.
  4. swl

swl Member

prefer all at one place, leave it as is

Juicy, Xcution, Azure and 1 other person like this.
  5. SmilyT1

SmilyT1 Member

If we're going to get a lot of new forumers with the rise of TB2, Discord might become necessary.
    But for as it is now, not really.

6. Jirokichi

Jirokichi Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Silver, is it possible to include a Discord channel on an iframe or something replacing taigachat? I know you can't do this easily and would need NeoCHI's assistance, but maybe it would solve the integration problem :D (I doubt this idea hadn't crossed your mind already though xD)

7. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    Hi Jiro :D

Yes, is something that we thought about, but never actually tried to contact Neo for it.
    For now our main interest is seeing how the things will evolve; any eventual (but improbable in this case) change made to the forum's template will be discussed another time.

Jirokichi likes this.
  8. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

I think I've made it clear how much I hate the chat buffer (NEED TO WALL OF BLUE MOAR), and Discord has some nice features. I'm pro-moving if there's easy access/a clear path to Discord for people on this site; basically don't want to fragment the user base the way we did when we first tried Discord out.

Rydia, Jirokichi and Silver Mitsuki like this.
  9. Juicy

Juicy Active Member

I still prefer a chatbox with only 1 channel. Simple is best.

10. fhs

fhs Well-Known Member

Medals:
    I think people are getting confused by the word "move" in this tread. You're saying we're "moving" from taigachat to discord, but you're not enforcing it in anyway. Therefore, you're just asking people to use discord, which a lot of people already do.

If the poll was about deleting taigachat (which would enforce the move), I would strongly vote for yes.

Azure likes this.
  11. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    The idea of completely remove taigachat supports the idea of merging the Terra Battle community to a single platform, but we don't think that removing a feature from the forum and enforce the users to create a new account for a different service is the right path to follow.

The alternative of using Discord over taigachat came from our users, who asked us in multiple occasion about the possibility to use a chat with more functions than the one currently used by terrabattleforum, this is why it was taken into consideration.

Still, we know that many people have issues registering an account on multiple websites, that's why is not in our current plans to completely remove taigachat's support from terrabattleforum, remaining this way as a tool for the TBF users who come here occasionally just to enjoy some multiplayer matches to look for partners. As an added value, the @mention support will give their needs more attention than they have right now by sending a notification to all the Discord clients of people who play their same game and are willing to receive important reminders about everything concerning them.

The use of this feature will be of course moderated and kept under control in order to avoid any abuse.

The whole point of this thread is knowing what the Community thinks about it, and if is ok with this decision. Every Terra Battle Forum user should already know how much dedication the TBF Staff puts in offering the Community the highest quality service is capable of, and we'd never come up with something we think will damage the forum on the long run.

Almost all the work to support this change has already been done, but nothing is definitive.

We care about the Community, that's the reason why a thread has been started instead of forcing the users to move to a Discord Server :)

Rydia likes this.
  12. Tharos

Tharos The Source Explorer

Medals:
    I think discord is way better (speed, ease of use, search, history, formatting and many many more features), but it can also be way more messy if not handled/used right.
    I left the TB discord server because of that: it was a constant mess of private jokes, nicknames changes and flood, most of them having nothing to do with the game itself (which was cool for people there, but not what I looked for on a TB chat)

Azure, cjguitarman and Rydia like this.
  13. cjguitarman

cjguitarman Well-Known Member

I don't have a strong opinion about which chat platform I prefer, however a comment about Discord:
    It's important to find the right balance on number of channels. Too many channels makes me lose interest because it is a pain to keep up. I expect some other people feel the same. There are currently 10 English language channels on the TBF Discord. That is far too many, in my opinion. I don't think we need separate chats for co-op and eidolons. It should be more simple. Perhaps just #rules, #news, #TB1, #TB2 (plus other language chats) is enough.

Azure likes this.
  14. Azure

Azure Active Member

I agree with both Tharos and CJ

15. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

Way to be safe, Azu! :p

16. Rydia

Rydia PinkPikaPony Staff Member

Medals:
    The previous TBF Discord Server was opened with the sole purpose to keep the community informed about the issues met back on March with the terrabattleforum Web Server.It was created with the idea of being used as temporal informative channel for that emergency situation and going to get closed after a few days.

Within few days from its opening, the Staff started to work on the rules and its possible meaning; analyzed the situation we came to the conclusion that in that moment it wasn't what we were looking for and decided to pause any work related to that Discord, moving back to taigachat as the official TBF chat channel and leaving that Server unmoderated and the access restricted.

Still, due to the success of the Discord platform and the growing acceptation it had among some of our users we started to consider the channel as a viable alternative to add additional features that could improve the service we were offering.

The new Discord we want to open will work as an improved version of our current taigachat, with more channels and features and with a more strict moderation. With that purpose the Staff is working in the implementation of a new set of rules, tools and a new code of conduct from our part to maintain the channel properly moderated from the first day.

The Staff has been already working on this and we plan to keep it well balanced

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Silver Mitsuki likes this.
  17. Guaparrón

Guaparrón Active Member

The main cons of moving to Discord are:
    • Some people may need to create a new account on this service, I can understand that's an inconvenience.
    • The chat won't be in the forum anymore, so we would have to be in two places instead of one.
    • The chaos with the nicknames and the channels (if not well handled).
    And the pros:
    • Easier to read and post (sharing pictures, videos and other links or saving them with the pin feature).
    • A wide range of possibilities like moderating, mentions, different channels, having a friend list or voice channels.
    • More comfortable than the actual chat, there is an app you can use that makes it really better than taigachat.
    There is no :troll: emoji, tho.

Sean Bond likes this.
  18. Hayden

Hayden Well-Known Member

The reason why i'm not as active on the forum is because of the broken chat, it really quickly got on my nerves so as any normal person would do i stopped using it (I do pop by time to time). Having two chats for TBF sounds weird but i'm fine with Discord so let's see how it goes.

19. icehro

icehro Active Member

Despite not being "Pro"-Discord I voted to move from our forum to Discord.
    Like many people was saying above : It's much easier to chat on Discord than the Forum.

But some things I wanted to know !
    "capable to retrieve guides and other useful content from the forum" => Guides topic are really usefull (Thanks Rya :D) and I don't see how you can move guides from forum to Discord (Except some specific channel)
    "but users from Discord won't be able to reply to their messages without entering the forum.=> That will be a lot of move, I'm not against though, the forum can be always open in browser etc..

Though that's not a really huge matter because it'll just influence chat users.
    The idea is still very good and it can be really useful for tings like FCB, Coop, Help or chating about TB.

Moving to Discord is not a huge problem for me I've already Discord ^^'

(Sorry If my questions were already answer >.<)

Silver Mitsuki likes this.
  20. Silver Mitsuki

Medals:
    If you're asking it is because you're confused on how all of this will work, and this is the purpose of this thread, clearing out the confusion ;)
    TerraBattleForum collects threads of every kind (you find here a list of the most useful and not yet outdated content), and the two bots mentioned on the first post can be used to retrieve that and other useful material from the forum in order to make the life of the users easier; a quick and simple example might be the use of a command !guide vengeful to retrieve the list of all the guides, videos, tips and other interesting content related to the quest Vengeful Heart.
    Currently, we have several features on our pipeline, but because of time reasons not all of them will be available at the opening of the Server.
    More information will be shared on a later date :)
    That note works as a simple reminder that as TBF's taigachat requires for the user to have a TBF account in order to reply visiting terrabattleforum.com will be required, but:
    1. As you said, it doesn't take a lot of movement,
    2. To those with the Discord app installed on their mobile devices and not willing to "socialize", it will take less time to check if someone from the forum is looking for help for a multiplayer match,
    3. Taigachat will still be moderated, yes, but its use discouraged in order to not keep the community splitted, so it won't happen often to see someone using the TBF's chat.