Need some music recommendations

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Laura Lita, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    Had several different albums kinda just stored away someplace, and now I'm kinda left with nothing in my music library. I want to build up a mostly completely new collection of music so I bought a few new albums off Bandcamp and iTunes - I'll list a few of 'em down:
    I have a hard time describing by taste in music, but I do have a bias for jazz-hop, post-rock, and shoegaze these days (I'm also partial to hip hop, jazz (broad, I know, but I'm open), and electronic).

Just in case, I've already listened to Nujabes, M83, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mono, and God is an Astronaut as well as a ton of of others within the genres listed above. Preferably I'd like to see artists you think I haven't heard of yet - Generally speaking if the artist or group are from outside the US, then I may not have heard from them (unless of course they're that popular).

2. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Well this group may be too popular for your taste but they are a bit genre-defying

21 pilots

For something weird, try AU4
    I heard a song from them watching a tv show "continuum" and I ended up liking their album

3. Laura Lita

Medals:
    Checked out Au4, and was pleased to find that their music is available for free download on their site. So far listened to The Empty Gorgeousness of All and These Subtle Lights, and the sound reminded me of M83 a bit.

You're right on Twenty One Pilots - I probably hear Stressed Out , Ride, and Heathens as much as Adele's Hello lol

4. Hayden

Hayden Well-Known Member

Well i'm just going to list a few of my favorite artists, hopefully you'll find something that'll suit you :3

5. Laura Lita

Medals:
    Good news, I actually like a lot of the artists you mentioned. Looks like we share a liking to poppy house music.
    Bad news, I'm actually already well-acquainted with most of them lol. I think we even talked about either DNCE or Joe Jonas at one point too. And Phantogram's Bill Murray is probably one of my most listened-to tracks in 2014 and 2015. Defqwop

Did buy Adventure by Madeon though. Not sure how I never had that already; it's a fun album.

6. wrongnotes

wrongnotes Active Member

I just picked up Innocence Reaches by of Montreal (electronic, poppy/indie??). Idk if they're popular now, but the direction of this album blew me away. Hear some Blur, Bowie, and Pink Floyd influences throughout the album. Also stumbled upon Neon Indian when picking up a MGMT record. I got the newest record and some double album with extended cuts - both great. The favorite of mine so far has been the newest Modest Mouse record, but I do have a soft spot for that band since I've followed them forever.

7. Laura Lita

Medals:
    Funny. I used to listen to all of those mentioned, but probably haven't in the last few years (except maybe Blur on occasion). My issue with picking up too many artists is that I tend to forget about some as time passes. I didn't even realize MGMT still made music lol

8. wrongnotes

wrongnotes Active Member

I'm probably so behind in music that when I went on a binge to pick up a few things, Amazon kept recommending stuff and I kept agreeing with the robots cause they were right :)

9. yeezus

yeezus Active Member

If you haven't listened to the new Solange album yet (A Seat at the Table), I think it would be right up your alley based on the artists/genres you listened.

She doesn't have the same commanding pipes her more famous sister has, but I actually find Solange's music much more interesting.

10. Laura Lita

Medals:
    I actually gave it a listen, but I'm done spending money for the month. Basically I checked out some "Album of the Year recommendations" and ended up checking out:
    • Black Star by David Bowie
    • Untitled Unmastered by Kendrick Lamar
    • Freetown Sound by Blood Orange
    • Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown
    • My Woman by Angel Olsen
    • And of course A Seat at the Table by Solange
    Still need to give a listen to Beyonce's Lemonade and whatever Radiohead put out (I forgot they even released an album this year, but nothing really beats In Rainbows for me).

11. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

Haven't necro'd a thread in a while, so here goes!

I really like Zedd's "True Colors" album, personally. I LOOOOOOVE "Addicted to a Memory" (I downloaded a remix as well, that takes out some of the noise in the middle).

Also a big fan of the Neighbourhood's "Sweater Weather." It's got a great vibe to it.

Have you listened to Kendrick's debut album, "good kid, m.A.A.d city"? I liked that one a lot more musically (and it was really interesting lyrically, in a bleak way).

Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst is a great, if depressing song, and Swimming Pools is a person anthem. :D

In Rainbows was the album that got my gf and I into Radiohead, so nice choice! I doubt you'll like the latest as much (well...I'm assuming you've listened to it by now, since I'm a LITTLE late :p).

I'd recommend more music myself, but my tastes are SO all over the place (from videogame music to Audiomachine, Zedd to 90s hip hop, Spanish pop to Reggaeton to K Pop, Beatles to Alanis Morissette) that it might be hard to know where to start.

12. Lucida

Lucida Member

13. poopingpoop

poopingpoop New Member

:singing: enjoy some randy newman

14. Ultima

Ultima New Member

13 Monsters is a must.

15. france001

france001 Active Member

I recommend SOIL&PIMP SESSIONS (Japanese jazz), she music (electronic), Anamanaguchi (8-bit American electronic music), mudy in the Sakuban 昨晩 (Japanese post rock instrumental). If you like Japanese rock, there's also 9mm Parabellum Bullet and Hello Sleepwalkers. If you like Nujabes, you might like Kenmochi Hidefumi. Steve Aoki, Cash Cash, and Galantis are all big names so you might already be familiar with them, but I thought I'd mention them.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017