Nidhogg Hard

Discussion in 'Levels & Bosses' started by Todd, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Olber95

Olber95 New Member

yes please, I have Ji'row that I could afford to put in the party with your R'un.

2. CloverKing

CloverKing Member

Been farming all day but no wings for me yet.. ; (

anyone know the drop rate for the wings?? and would having treasure help??

3. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

Like with all the other quest bosses the wings are part of the guaranteed drops, you either get souls/hearts or the wing in hard mode. TH doesn't help with increasing chances of rare drops, it only increases likelihood of drops.

4. Gujiniuniu

Gujiniuniu Member

The drop rate is somewhere between 10% - 20% probably. Someone's calculations came out to be 12.5% based off of their runs, but mine come out around 16% since I got four wings in around 20+ runs

5. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

I’ve gotten 1 in 33 runs

That’s 3% drop rate in case you were wondering

6. tobsy

tobsy Active Member

Just got my team ready and started farming. Ran only a few times. No drop yet.

This team is hella good:
    - Eliz'beth RNA lv90 (healer)
    - Ka'prese (Anti-Darkness Capsule)
    - King Orbling (MATK +10%)
    - Scarlet RNA lv90 (Fire Damage +20% All)
    - Ji'row DNA lv90 (Party Frequency +50%)
    - Djagos as the friend unit of course.

I haven't SB'd anyone yet, so Ji'row's Party Frequency boost skill is sooooooo useful. Makes Anti-Darkness capsules and Fire Damage +20% proc constantly, making my team pretty much invincible against Nidhogg's attacks and letting Djagos deal good damage.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  7. lynx

lynx Active Member

So, Nidhogg will only use his shadow attacks when he is fed. If we don't let him eat, he is pretty much a harmless vegan dragon.

Here is my move pattern that I used to deny Nidhogg his food. It's is fairly reliable. Only have to re-adjust/improvise when Nidhogg shake the tree too many times.

The first turn, I have to make sure to put at least one seed in Green area, one seed outside Green/Red area and NOT put any seed on the Red area, this will bait him to move to the side of battle box.
    1st_turn.jpg

The 2nd turn, after Nidhogg eat, he will use a low damae area-1 shadow attack. On this turn, I have to move any seed left to the opposite side of Nidhogg, preferably on the same rows as chains (like in the screenshot). Do not put seed on the same double-row as Nidhogg because he will eat it.
    2nd_turn.jpg

The 3rd turn, if he ate only one seed, he will move to another side, trying to eat more seeds but not quite reach them. As far as I know, Nidhogg can move 4 tiles. And he will move to the closet seed first.
    If Nidhoog ate two seeds on 2nd turn, he will use a higher damage shadow attack that hit everyone, and will move the next turn. On this turn, I'll just do the same as previous turn; move seeds to the other side, and repeat this pattern on any subsequent turns until Nidhogg is killed.

While Nidhogg is chasing for some foods, he will randomly do one of these each turn: X-attack that cause Blindness, a swipe that could paralyze one unit, shaking tree for more seeds, or chewing tree root to regain HP.

If you place your units like I do in the video, X-attack will never hit. So main problem is his Paralyzing Swipe. If you have Squeaky companions, it's a good idea to put them on your mover and healer.

If he shook tree for more seeds, try to place additional seeds on the same column and furthest away from Nidhogg.

Also, in my opinion, it's a better idea to let him eat 2 seeds (if your team can survive a shadow attack damage) and have only one seed left. It is much easier to move and re-arrange things.

Blacksun likes this.
  8. Aj86

Aj86 New Member

I now have a Nidhogg with it's luck maxed out and only have got one exp wing drop so the drop rate is very low....that or I'm just extremely unlucky.

9. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

I spent a day or two farming Mdef companions from normal, but it doesn't seem like I needed them that badly after a test run of hard. The two unable to equip any garbs and hats only have 50 and 64 mdef even with shields on but didn't seem like they took that much more damage than the rest. Though I also did not let Nidhogg eat more than one seed and always topped up heals.

My team which was actually pretty decent the equips:
    Kutah'von DNA with 4x Squeaky companion, CT+2 was enough for moving for the most part if you prioritize moving the seeds around.
    Shaqurino DNA with 4x +2% Earth damage, he has Earth Amp which stacks.
    Bibi'lamia RNA with 4x Mdef +5 ring on El, she has Hunters Ballad good for matk buff.
    Hime'nald DNA with 4x +2% Fire damage, he can tap to charge and unleash attack once but I have no idea what it actually does.
    Johnny RNA with 4x Mdef +5 ring on Ganah, nothing notable I just don't have better fire/earth units.
    Frendon is always fire/earth mage with the highest matk on my list.

On another note, all the newer quest boss guardians are really shabby next to Leviathan. Either Leviathan was a gift to players or they accidentally made it too OP so they defaulted to a cookie cutter mold for the guardians after it. 3x multiplier, some kind of buff(s) and a"unique" skill. Only thing is Zmey and Nidhogg both afflict the same status and Fenrir is even worse because he as 2 wards and no unique skill, boring! Which means their only real appeal is that you can easily max B/U/L.

Edit: Got my first wing on the 4th run.
    Edit2: 10 runs later, a gold box! But it was HP+50, I forgot these also dropped lol

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  10. Lethe

Lethe New Member

I've got Nidhogg at 90 U and have had 2 EXP Wings and 9 HP Earrings drop. Pretty disheartening to see that gold chest drop and then another earring reveal itself, but it's no surprise that they'd weight it so heavily. It's amazing that they'd make the EXP Wing drop at all.

What I usually do, unless I get bad initial seed placement, is to place one seed in the center at the top or bottom row, and the other two seeds in the corners of the opposite side. On hard, Nidhogg moves 4 spaces. So the corner seeds are out of reach and the opposite side center one is in reach. So it will always go for that seed. If it does the Abyss cross, then nobody is in range, since I start with pincers on the sides leaving them far enough away from the top or bottom to avoid the cross. If it does paralysis I hope it doesn't hit one of my stronger fire guardians, who I try to position in the row further away from its intended path.

I use the power point on the first turn and then another double pincer on the next turn usually does enough damage to make Nidhogg use the Area(1) shadow attack without moving. After that it usually moves down two spaces and left or right two spaces and does another Abyss cross or paralyze. As long as blind or paralyze didn't disable somebody critical like my Hermes or friend unit, that's usually a win in a few turns. After that it's just a matter of moving the seeds to the opposite corner so that there aren't any within 4 spaces and Nidhogg dies on the second power point or the turn right after.

Of course, there's still some risk that a bad seed placement or movement screw-up can blow up the whole run. Not getting a seed out of the corner in time and having Nidhogg park there, untouchable, and then throw out a few fullscreen attacks, or having Hermes get paralyzed and become unable to heal for 5 turns is usually a loss unless I get lucky.

I haven't seen them mentioned yet, but a few other good guardians:

Koh DNA - Decent fire damage and since there aren't enough characters that can all equip light armor for magic defense, having Equipment Lore allows you to reduce that number down from two to one, which you can put a wind guardian on.

Ohryu RNA - Fire damage and a chain buff that halves magic damage, or you can go DNA for more damage if you defenses are fine.

11. Aj86

Aj86 New Member

What I normally do with the seeds is place one just to the right of him and another just to the left. It pretty much guarantees he will go after one of them so it limits his movement and makes setting pincers up extremely easy.

Todd likes this.
  12. steak

steak New Member

I am already working on my second copy of Nidhogg, at 34 U atm, while the other one is already maxed out at 100U. ZERO wing drop for me. I have 13 Earrings. What are the odds?

Torl'marl is indeed another cheap alternative to stun lock Nidhogg. I have been running Djagos/Shaqurino/Shalululu/Torlmarl/Melba at Hard mode with ease.

13. frznnguyen

frznnguyen Member

One thing bugs me: Nidhogg is not transforming on hard, right? Even though his banners indicate that there is some kind of evolution.

14. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

None of them transform except for Zmey, all of them except Levi have different designs on the banners.

Either these bosses will get recodes in the future and that's what the other designs were meant for, or they were supposed to transform but they didn't manage to code it in time for the quest release and just rolled out the stages as is.