re-evaluate smileys offered in chat

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by supergaijin, Apr 30, 2015.

1. supergaijin

supergaijin Well-Known Member

In order not to derail another thread, I am bringing this here to make a point:

In actuality, the smiley shown above is a smiley giving the middle finger. All of our smileys have words to express their intent if the picture itself isn't clear, such as :lurking: ( : lurking: )

A few smileys are "inappropriate" for the new age-restricted content of the forum where nothing above PG-12 is acceptable::asshat::finger::mooning: Scrolling over each picture you will see a**hat, (middle) finger, and mooning. Besides the "age-appropriateness", for those that understand the true intent of these smilies, having these smilies in discussion makes it more likely that the posts will escalate in hostility before someone realizes that the intended use of the smiley was different from the actual meaning (Gmalo thinking it was a shaka when it's actually the middle finger). Whether or not anyone does anything about it is none of my business. I'm just pointing it out because it almost made more trouble the last time a smiley was misused.

conndubya and Umowoïs like this.
  2. Dead Tamagotchi

Dead Tamagotchi Member

Yeah, smileys suck. But what sucks more is that you can't turn them off.
    Compare
    Code:
    :D
    and :D
    First is happy and cheerful, second is a grin/mock with a matching troll color.

conndubya likes this.
  3. supergaijin

supergaijin Well-Known Member

huh, I never thought of that smiley in that way. that second one's always been cheerful to me. would it be more appealing to you if it was yellow in color? there is no smiley in the list that can replace my big grin without changing the meaning I intended...

4. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    I agree that :finger: and :asshat: are pretty rude when used to seriously offend someone, and I wouldn't condone the use of these emotes to instigate anything harmful, but I personally have no control over which emotes are and are not available. If they do somehow become an issue, I'll probably bring it up to the boss to see if they can be removed, but for the time being, just exercise some common sense and don't use it to mess with people.

5. conndubya

conndubya Active Member

Perhaps they were purchased as part of an emoticons package and we just have to accept them the same way we accept yellow Starburst or the bannanas in Runts : (

6. keivn91

keivn91 Active Member

My personal favs: :rolleyes: :smuggrin: ;) :p :D :hilarious: :arghh: :asshat: :banghead:
    I don't really understand who they mean, so I use them whenever I want to add some colour to the chat. Personally, they mean that I'm happy, except that the last 3 mean that I'm not happy ;) I don't really point them at someone :D

7. Kovaelin

Kovaelin Active Member

I think we should just add as many Hisoticons as possible, to the point where people don't feel a need to use emoticons anymore :love: