Returning Player

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by hao.n, Jun 28, 2016.

1. hao.n

hao.n New Member

I started back in 2014, played for a bit, but stopped not too long around chapter 17. I was convinced by a friend to start it up again.
    A lot has changed since then and I'm looking for some tips and advice rebuilding teams. Any help with team build or tips on a character's late game potential or synergy would be great. Any tips for a returning player that might've missed out on would be great too.
    To start off, here are my SS and S characters:

SS: Olber, Yukken, Rikken, Suoh, Gaiga, Amina, A'misandra, Czekras, Zerro

S: Djugan, Gatz, Zuzu, Gegonago, Alika, Zafitte, Zeera, Puprope, Lunaken, Palpa.

The team I was using before I left off was Yukken, Daiana, Amina, Alika, Suoh, and Gatz.

Thanks!
    1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. Xenocite

Xenocite Active Member

Gatz becomes one of the best physical attackers and carries a tap buff once you recode him. There are few instances where you won't want to put Gatz Λ in your team if you have physical damage. A'misandra becomes the best healer once you recode her. Gegonago gains a unique ability called Stealth that allows him to move through enemies and lets him push your units through enemies as well, so he's useful for positioning. I'd focus on recoding these guys. You'll need to get to get to Chapter 33 to get the monsters needed to recode Gatz.
    You'll want to get Yukken or Rikken up to Job 3 to unlock Negotiator Pro so you'll have a lot easier time recruiting monsters for recoding. Olber will be a huge help for any stage that does physical damage, so invest in him. You'll also want Alika in fighting shape because having Gatz + Alika will give you two Treasure Hunters which increases drop rate of items by 50% (of their original drop rate, not a flat bonus).

If you want to clear things quickly, Zerro has good AOE and it gets a lot better if you recode her, but magic isn't as effective in some of the later stages. It is always a good idea to have one SS mage recoded though for Weekly Challenge.

If you quit in 2014, you probably don't have many companions to work with. For now, a quick and easy companion to get is to farm some Stalwart Swords from 24-2, 31-9 or 32-9 and evolve them into Skullsplitters and max those out (don't evolve Skullsplitters, it actually gets worse) and farm some Killer Bows from 27-3, 33-7 and 34-7 and evolve them into Bewitching Bows and put them on your mages.

The best place to story stage for EXP is 34-10. If you've got Olber and S'naip, Ma'curi or Bahl at a high SB, you should have no problem clearing it. It also has a high chance of dropping one of the two helices for recoding most characters.

If you have a lot of time and want to make the most of your stamina, 5-8 gives decent EXP and is one of the best stages for farming coins. It's also a good place to raise the SB of your characters since it only costs 1 Stamina per run.

If you're in a rush to level your characters, run 6-8 with Gatz and Alika after they get Treasure Hunter and there's a chance you'll get Metal Tickets that you can use to enter Metal Zone and get lots of EXP.

If you're going to be spending a lot of time in Metal Zone, focus on levelling Zerro so she can carry the rest of your characters. When running Metal Zone, try to pick the hardest Metal Zone you can handle and get the difficulty as high as possible for more EXP. Sometimes this means putting more than 1 character that won't actually earn any EXP, but it's worth it. I usually have 2 high levels to bump the difficulty and either have 2 units I'm trying to level if I'm trying to level someone up quickly or have 4 units I'm trying to level if I'm not in as much of a rush.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. hao.n

hao.n New Member

Thanks for the info.

Is there any merit to leveling more than one healer? You mentioned Amisandra becomes the best healer, so I'm wondering if dropping Amina completely is the best idea.

What's your opinion on Yukken vs Rikken? I've found an old thread from 2014 regarding that discussion, but I'm thinking some of the information/discussion points may or may not be as relevant with how the game has progressed so far.

I see that you've also mentioned Snaip, Macuri, and Bahl. I've seen them referred to as the holy trinity because of their self buff (1.5x damage). Are they worth investing over certain SS characters or is their value a bit overstated? I know that a card's SS rarity doesn't automatically make it good and there's bound to be times when a character's value is situational.

4. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member

Jobs and levels. Then Recodes.
    The DPS (holy) Trinity's value is not to be undervalued.
    The characters to job/level first in order:
    Zerro, Gegonago, A'misandra, Yukken, Macuri, Snaip, Bahl, Gatz, Olber, Rikken. Ignore everyone else for the moment. Then (or at the same time) recode ASAP (In order): Zerro, Gegonago, A'misandra, Gatz. Then recode or level/job: Yukken, Olber, Alika, Zuzu. Then Palpa (when you're ready for Primal Dragon King), any augmenters (Djugan, Manmer, Kapori) and defense boosters (korin, pahrl, kem).
    Run 6-8 as much as possible (especially double drop day), and run the metal zones (especially when 5/6 are available), and any job items on double drop days.

5. Xenocite

Xenocite Active Member

There's no merit to leveling more than one healer. The B rank healers (Kuscah and Sorman) can be considered better than the SS healers in a way because they get Heal All, but they're more fragile. It isn't until Amisandra gets recoded that she learns Heal All and coupled with her high stats, she will heal more is also decently bulky. Amisandra gets some other useful skills after recoding, but Heal All is a big reason why she's the best healer.

From a pure SS perspective, I think I would pick Rikken over Yukken. She gets Heal All and has two skills that activate in a Chain so she actually does more damage if you're double pincering. SS Yukken's strength over Rikken is that she can switch types if you really, really can't use Bows.

However, Yukken is recodeable and her recode does more damage than Rikken and if your friend needs a negotiator for the earlier stages, Yukken Λ can use Negotiator Pro at any stage as long as you put it in your first slot when you're a guest for Co-oping (being a guest limits your characters levels, so Negotiator Pro is disabled before chapter 12 because you're limited to a level below 35). Anyways, I would focus on Rikken for now because by the time you're far enough to recode Yukken, you'd be able to level up characters easily. If you have the resources though, you should train them both to learn Negotiator Pro if you're going to do a lot of recruiting since they stack (more than 3 Negotiator Pros won't stack that well since there's a cap).

The reason S'naip, Ma'curi and Bahl are so valuable is because their buff is a direct damage multiplier that doesn't modify their stats. So if their attack is increased, their damage is multiplied by whatever their multiplier is. With that said, 1.5 is not that big of a deal, but the damage is stackable.

So consider this situation. You double pincer a boss. The first pincer does not have S'naip as a lead pincer, but S'naip takes part in the chain. S'naip boosts his own attack by 10% and the multiplier kicks in, increasing his damage by 0.5. During the second pincer, S'naip boosts his own attack by 10% again and the multiplier kicks in again, increasing his damage by 0.5 again. So if S'naip were to attack right now, he gets quite a bit of bonus damage form his 20% increase in attack, and whatever damage he would have done is doubled by the multiplier.

Now, this is the important part. S'naip's buff lasts two turns and that was only the first turn. if you were to do the same double pincer again, S'naip now has a 40% boost to attack and damage is multiplied by 3. On turn 3, the first set of buffs are gone so he's back to a 20% boost and a 2x multiplier. S'naip, Bahl and Ma'curi really begin to show their strength if you can consistently perform double pincers and their skills always activate, so I would try to put them in your team as much as possible to get their SB to 70. There are also the rare chance that you can set things up so that they boost themselves 3 times a single turn.

6. hao.n

hao.n New Member

I"ve noticed a lot of emphasis is put on a character's value once they're recoded. Which is great, since I know how to properly invest my time and efforts.

From what I've read so far, it's a while before I can start recoding, and the grinding to do it is quite long. How true is that and is there anything I can do to prep for it so that things can go as quickly as possible?

7. Xenocite

Xenocite Active Member

Recoding requires a couple of things:

1. The character you're recoding needs to be level 80 in all jobs
    To speed this up, you'll want to make the most out of Metal Zone. What I would suggest you do for now is level up Zerro and raise her SB since having her Column and Row skills makes clearing Metal Zone a lot simpler. It's not really efficient to enter Metal Zone from the World Map and it's better to use Metal Tickets. Make sure to stockpile Metal Tickets when item drops are doubled in Chapter 6. You'll want to raise Gatz and Alika until they learn Treasure Hunter to speed this up.

If you're patient, it's best to wait until there's an event where the higher level of Metal Zones are available in the Arena, though Zerro will need to be high level if you want her to carry you through it. To speed this up, go to the chat and try to trade some 6-8 runs (this means you and another player take turns hosting the stage and give the room number to the other so you get a free run for every run you host), especially during Double Drop days. Be aware that since neither Gatz nor Alika are recoded, their Treasure Hunter won't be active when someone else is hosting because of the level cap.

2. You need to have 2 specific monsters
    Yukken and Rikken helps with that. When you recode, your character's level is set back to 1 but they keep their SB and inherit 20% of the monster's SB. So if you recode using two monsters with 100% SB, your character gains an additional 40% SB. I'd say it's worth getting the monsters to 100% SB before recoding, especially if they're found on a low stamina stage but that can be your judgment call.

3. You need 5 Recode items (usually Mantle Helix for mages and Deepwater Helix for physical)
    These don't drop until chapter 20+ and for the most part, they have a drop rate around 10-20%. However, 34-10 has a 75% chance of dropping one or the other so I wouldn't bother farming them outside 34-10 unless there's double item drops (and even then, 34-10 is still more efficient but this is a viable alternative if 34-10 is giving you trouble and you want to recode someone before you get that far).

4. 30k Coins
    Should be pretty simple to get this one

You can get all you need to recode Zerro as early as chapter 27, so if her SB is low, you might want to farm up the monsters needed to 100% SB and then recode Zerro to get a 40% boost in her SB. If Zerro's SB is high, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Whether you recode Zerro or not depends on how well you can do in Metal Zone. Another good incentive to recode Zerro is that recoded SS mages are extremely useful for clearing Weekly Challenges and you can get up to 2 energy per week if you do those well.

You might want to also take a look at this guide: http://terrabattleforum.com/threads/guide-best-otomos-for-sb-training.8832/

TL;DR for the guide is that having Companions equipped while your characters SBs are low will help raise their SBs a lot faster. For easy Companions to get that are decent for raising SB and actually provide you some value in-battle, equip your whole team with maxed out Skullsplitters and Bewitching Bows at all times, unless you have something better for SBing.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  8. hao.n

hao.n New Member

Thanks for all the responses. It's been really informative. I actually quit because there wasn't that much content (I think bahamut just came out), and the huge grind didn't seem worth it since there wasn't much to look forward to.

I guess the grind's never going to get easier or go away. I'll see how things go from here. Thanks again! Really appreciate the help so far.

9. yeezus

yeezus Well-Known Member

The grind gets considerably easier with each of the following you get (many of which you already have at least the base form):

1. An original Z-mage (Zerro^/Jennish^/Lewto^/Piz'fer^) at level 90
    -The Z-mage nukes the screen allowing you to clear metal zones and level your characters quickly

2. A pro negotiator (Yukken/Rikken)
    -They allow you to complete PoF faster which gives you Seiryu (allows you to do MZ6 easily) and saves you a ton of coin grind, they also help you get descend characters more easily as well

3. Treasure hunters (Gatz/Alika/Gatz^/Alika^)
    -They help you farm items which allow you to job up much faster

4. Coin boosters (Banana/Zeera)
    -They help you farm coins faster which helps complete PoF, job up, and level companions

5. Demon's Chronicle companions
    -Allows your characters to SB even faster

LegendaryFrog likes this.