Should I recode XXXXXXX?

Discussion in 'Units & Items' started by kramerica222, Apr 8, 2018.

1. kramerica222

kramerica222 Member

LAST EDIT: More corrections and made Nazuna HIGH since she does have CT+2 and I also should not be underestimating extended chain. Unsure of Ginny should be HIGH as well; still working on her right now.

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would make a topic, but now I suppose I could put my two cents about this. Since recodes are not pullable unless advertised now, some (me included) would be interested in a place where we could come to some consensus about this. I'll list all the recodable units and what I think should be their priority in needing to recode, starting from the B units and working up.

I'm not listing units that can be acquired through coins/farming (ex: Jaguna, Invincible, Lich, etc.) for now since in my view, they don't typically compete with the energy units for priority. Since I don't own all the units I will probably omit some things from the ones I do not own. IF THEY ARE NOT LISTED, DO NOT RECODE.

B Units:
    Amazora (LOW): Novel fire DPS.
    Ba'guanar (LOW): I'd only recode if you want him out of the pool whenever a rate-up for his recode appears (which may never happen again). His photon damage is just ok to me.
    Bahl (HIGH): DPS monster. Not much else to say. Recode ASAP.
    Grace (LOW): Used to be essential in some cheese methods back in the day. Now more of a "just ok" unit. Also does an attempt to join the Samupi club by recoding (she already has PLOT).
    Ra'prow (LOW): I found one good use for him - defeating Ella^ due to outflank. That's about it.
    Sh'berdan (LOW): Low stats really hinder him as both physical and magical DPS.

A Units:
    A'merpact (HIGH): Very solid ice DPS.
    Burbaba (LOW): Lol no.
    Daiana (MEDIUM): Great for single target fire DPS. Similar to A'mrepact IMO but with slightly less AoE due to having a weird 2nd job.
    Eileen (LOW): Doesn't have a whole lot going for her.
    Kem (LOW/MEDIUM): Good for spear teams only.
    Korin (LOW/MEDIUM): Good for sword teams only.
    Pahrl (LOW/MEDIUM): Good for bow teams only. Negotiator makes her slightly more useful than the previous two.
    S'naip (HIGH): Stellar DPS like Bahl.

S and above:
    Alika (MEDIUM): Not that useful, but a treasure hunter with 100L has its uses.
    Amina (HIGH): Premier healer with heal all + extended chain. Bonus for human defense.
    A'misandra (HIGH): See above, but replace human defense with death ward.
    Andelucia (MEDIUM): I think the non-recoded one was "strong" enough. If you need a photon capsule unit, you could recode.
    Beau'ne (MEDIUM/HIGH): Becomes rather useful as photon DPS once recoded. Also becomes a mage.
    Bonna (MEDIUM/HIGH): Used as a mover in farming exp/LB/SB.
    Djugan (MEDIUM/HIGH): Solid tank and spear DPS. (Not olber tier, but still great).
    Ellvern (MEDIUM): If you don't have gego yet.
    Feno (HIGH): Top-tier moon DPS + dat ass.
    Gatz (HIGH): Arguably the most versatile physical unit in the game. Treasure hunter + physical DPS tapper + levitation + good DPS + Panacea.
    Gegonago (HIGH): Stealth alone is a broken skill. Control time + healing is gravy.
    Ginny (MEDIUM/HIGH): Amazing bow DPS. Basically what Zavison should have been.
    Jennish (HIGH): Lightning mage. Amazing coverage with skills. The other SS base mages can be though of the same way.
    Koko (MEDIUM): Solid fire DPS mover.
    Lacuma (LOW/MEDIUM): Graviton DPS. There's a lot of other graviton units to choose from though.
    Lewto (HIGH): Fire mage.
    Mizell (HIGH): Non-elemental mage, along with magic tap and an otomo that makes her a good mover against kinetic traps.
    Nakupi (LOW): Can somewhat fill the role as ok physical DPS and minor fire and/or ice DPS.
    Nazuna (HIGH): Similar to Gegonago, but more offensive. At smaller permanent CT instead of a stackable one, but extended chain can make up for that.
    Olber (HIGH): Super-defensive unit. A lynchpin in certain team setups.
    Palpa (LOW or HIGH): Depends on if you were lucky early in the game and pulled a tapper. If you weren't lucky, then she'll serve as a healer and physical DPS tapper that you will need to start tackling end game content.
    Piz'fer (HIGH): Ice mage.
    Purprope (LOW): Shadow mage. Overshadowed by several other shadow mages.
    Rejin (LOW): DPS with shadowbind - useful in PvP? It's not 100% chance though.
    Samatha (MEDIUM): Solid lightning DPS mover. Can serve multiple purposes. Slightly better than the other elemental spear users due to having Negotiator.
    Sayu (HIGH): Like feno, but feature photon instead of moon magic, and gains underboobs.
    Senala (HIGH): Amazing photon mage DPS (someone did the math). The underboobs may have eclipsed her, but she can also do fire damage too and is a impair user.
    Sha'plar (LOW): Shadow DPS overshadowed even more than Purprope.
    Yukken (HIGH): Pro-loli negotiator. A max lucked one is quite useful in farming monsters.
    Zafitte (HIGH): Good AoE DPS + tapper.
    Zerro (MEDIUM): Shadow mage. Not quite as necessary with Seiryu available. Has more coverage than Seiryu though.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Guaparrón, Rydia, secangel and 3 others like this.
  2. Tometo

Tometo Member

Just wanted to point out that Amazora is a B class rather than S+ class unit. Other than that, nicely done! Having a priority list can help a ton in determining which units are worth putting back into the pacts.

3. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Yeah, despite their recodes being Z ranks, Amazora and Nakupi (and Jaguna) are silvers. They're from the "old-gen" recodes, when everyone was Z and final skill is learnt at 80.

I think you really should note that you also shouldn't recode Invincible ever.

Actually people pointed out that Ginny with Minidra actually outdamages S'naip?

So looking at multiplier alone...
    Assumption is steady double pincers, with Snaip and Ginny in second pincers.

S'naip^ with Grand Peta with Tail Slap, Terabow, Gigabow, and Phys Dmg x1.5:

• 1st pincer: (Tail Slap(1.5) + Petabow(3.5)) × three stacks of phys dmg (2.5) = 5 × 2.5 = 12.5
    • 2nd pincer: (Gigabow(2) + Petabow(3.5) + Tail Slap(1.5) + Terabow(3) + Gigabow(2) + Petabow(3.5)) × four stacks of phys dmg (3) = 15.5 × 3 = 46.5
    • Total = 59 skill multiplier

Ginny^ with Minidra with Petabow, Terabow, Gigabow Ring, and Gigabow:
    • 1st pincer: (Gigabow(2) + Terabow(3) + Petabow(3.5) + Gigabow(2)) × 3 stacks of Minidra(1.6) = 10.5 × 1.6 = 16.8
    • 2nd pincer: (Gigabow(2) + Terabow(3) + Petabow(3.5) + Petabow(3.5) + Terabow(3) + Gigabow(2) + Gigabow(2)) × 4 stacks of Minidra(1.8) = 19 × 1.8 = 34.2
    • Total = 51 skill multiplier
    So S'naip still has higher multiplier.

Taking into account their Attacks (which is powered by 1.7 in the damage formula):

Snaip: 434^1.7 × 59 = ~1.8m
    Ginny: 518^1.7 × 51 = ~2m

So yeah, Ginny has higher damage than S'naip with the appropriate companion.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  4. Zyron

Zyron Well-Known Member

I thought the same because Invincible^ and Seiryu^ are still in the free coin pacts. Only recruiting both with energy isn't possible any more.

5. kramerica222

kramerica222 Member

Made some edits, noting that units that can be recruited via coins should not be recoded period; I removed Invincible from the list. Also forgot Senala.

6. Ael

Ael Well-Known Member

You should mention than you "must" recode Seiryu and Leviathan as they are needed for MZ6 and MZ7. They could be in an other

7. phoenix_stealer

phoenix_stealer Member

really thank you for this guide, it's exactly what i was looking for :)

are SS mages really THAT needed expect lightning one ? As you can have Leviathan/bahamut/seryu + lambda in your team, i'm not sure they are totally needed to finish the game, if you got magic taper in place.

i'll put Samantha to high, thanks to negociator bonus (with cd + 4, and a not that bad dps)

8. TrueShadow

He's omitting the farmable ones from this list, as there's no real reason to not recode them.

They were top tier before the super-elements, but nowadays they're just nice-to-haves. They still have the most coverage of any mages, but there are others that deal higher damage, which is usually what matters against bosses.

As Rydia pointed out in https://terrabattleforum.com/threads/psa-dont-pull-to-get-bagunar.13742/ Ba'gunar^ is semi-farmable. If you haven't LB/SB him yet, there's no downside to recoding Ba'gunar. That's worth a mention.

9. kramerica222

kramerica222 Member

Recoding Ba'guanar will reintroduce him into the energy pacts won't it? Even if you can recapture him in 4-10 (or whatever quest that is), he will be at 0 SB/LB.

10. TrueShadow

Yeah, which is why I said it doesn't really matter if you haven't started to LB or SB him yet. For a mid-level or a casual player, Baggy^ is a farmable 100L Photon unit, with great stats equal to Z characters. He's definitely better than the likes of Lich or Marilith.

11. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

1) I'd point out that Nazuna has CT+2, so while she's not the ideal mover, she's a very good one (CT+2 and Stealth is in many cases better than CT+4). I'd put her at a firm HIGH in terms of recode priority, as she makes a lot of the endgame bosses easier (Stealth + Extend chain is probably my favorite combo in the game, and she also buffs magic and frequency). Her only flaw is recode cost, like Mizell.

2) To pile onto True Shadow's answer, @phoenix_stealer , the SS mages when recoded into Zs don't necessarily become OP by TB1 year 3 standards, but they're still extremely useful. You can use them to great lazy effect to get a qualifying time in most weeks' Weekly Challenge, they're handy in stages like Bahamut Descended and Leviathan Descended (depending on the mage), they're very useful in the Ultimate 5 normal mode (some in hard mode), and they make most of story mode a joke. They're still all-around pretty high tier characters, if not absolute top tier.

Rydia likes this.
  12. TrueShadow

Yeah, plus there's always the option of simply giving her an Hourglass companion, or pairing her with another unit who can give extra CT, like Palpa :^)

Rydia and Sean Bond like this.
  13. haloo

haloo Member

I have some tap chars already: schweiz, myne, palpa^, mutoh, shinen. So between gatz and Zaffite, who do you prefer a recode to get another good tapper?
    And can you rank these chars in order to recode: Gatz, zaffite, nazuna, mizell, ellvern?

14. TrueShadow

Zafitte, Gatz, Nazuna, Mizell, Ellvern

Zafitte has Augment All, physical attacks with wide AoE, high Matk for companions, and support skills. She's overall an awesome character.

Gatz is an excellent character for any physical team. High damage, support skills, and can be used for farming with Treasure Hunter.

Nazuna is a great mover with both Stealth and Extend Chain.

Mizell has magic tap, but nonelemental is honestly not that useful so her damage will mostly come from companions.

Ellvern has lots and lots of CT, but otherwise not that pivotal.

haloo likes this.
  15. phoenix_stealer

phoenix_stealer Member

i find gatz useful in more situation than Zafitte :
    Zafitte may be better in terms of damage, but gatz get Treasure hunter + berserk whom gave him utility in nearly all fights, especially in drop fight.
    If i have to chose, i think i'll upgrade gatz first, then using gatz, i'll drop everything for zafitte recode :)

(but Zafitte is augment all, so if you need magic tapper, she is way better :) )

(so my rank would be Gatz, Zafitte, Nazuna, Mizell, Ellvern)

haloo likes this.
  16. haloo

haloo Member

Thank you, I just be on golden road for a week and although grind LB with RR is really fast but I must limit the recode as much as I can, so I guess I will recode zafitte and gatz first (have 5 energy and just pulled Zafitte :)) the others can wait untill I get Amina :)

17. BlackSama

BlackSama Active Member

I keep hoping that Amimari recode would come with Augment all, heal all, Ct+4 and stealth, that would be SO amazing.

røkkr likes this.
  18. røkkr

røkkr New Member

Amimari recode would be awesome.
    As an unnecessary sidenote, I got Amimari too late into the game to have any kind of relation to the character. (Got Ami^ and Amina^ way before). Though never used, I still always liked the art and her semi-offense. She was one hell of a character when SS were the way to go. When i started tb, it was already all about Amisandre^. And actually with few exceptions, a healer is out of meta anyway.