Should the lack of content be concerning?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Kivanc

Kivanc The Data Keeper

I don't think you should expect a huge change in the content delivery speed, unless MW grows their development division. Yes, they could probably release new events easier now since they have already done this once (so doing it again will take way less than before), but as others mentioned, they probably don't want to overkill with the new content and ensure that the old content is not completely obsolete.

2. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    Certainly quality is important, and the output thus far is great, but for a game to retain its audience it does need to keep up interests. I'll be interested to see what type of levels they have in store for us in Part 2

Is content overkill even a problem though? It's hard to complain if a game let's the player do things besides grind - If anything I'd say its a plus unless the gameplay becomes stale because of it.

Which actually brings me to one of the major obstacles Mistwalker will have to overcome down the line: Implementing new types of missions and stage hazards in order to keep gameplay fresh and interesting for longtime players. The Odin, Leviathan, and Bahamut events at the very least show that future content has potential to be great. However, it does take time to think up stage and boss design that fits within the games mechanics and is still fair to the player. The Bearded Sakaguchi boss fight goal was met a while back, but Mistwalker has stated that they're still a ways off from completion of that event.

3. Kivanc

Kivanc The Data Keeper

Content overkill easily leads to "power creep" if not done correctly and carefully. I will give example from a similar game, PaD, since that is what is happening, over an over again, and might someday kill that game.

As you introduce new events that give people "free" S or higher-rank units, the previous units become less attractive. To solve the problem, you start adding more powerful units to PoT/PoF, so that people keep pulling them. With more powerful units, the existing content becomes even easier, making it obsolete. The new content (e.g., dungeons) are created to be more and more difficult, which leads to an infinite cycle.

This is what happened/happens in PaD. The descends (special dungeons) that were extremely difficult can now be cleared easily with half-baked teams. New descends are much more difficult than the older ones. Same thing with REM (special machine that gives you powerful monsters) monsters. The new monsters are much more powerful; they actually needed to "balance" old monsters multiple times.

I hope that the same does not happen to TB as well. I would prefer less frequent updates instead.

se7en47 likes this.
  4. Taban

Taban Member

This needs to happen to a degree, certainly not quickly, but with no power creep at all people will get their best teams together and be "done" with the game. Having new more powerful units come out is what will keep people involved.

5. Laura Lita

Medals:
    I think Power Creeps will happen so long as they continue to introduce new characters. In terms of new content, I'm mostly referring to new levels and more event bosses, as simply adding more levels does not introduce any new skills or characters that could undermine the abilities of lower-tier characters.

6. Kivanc

Kivanc The Data Keeper

True, however an alternative to power creep is "good design" that creates new cards that are "only" good for some of the new content. This basically adds new play style and/or mechanics to the game so that old cards cannot finish the new content by themselves, but the new cards cannot finish (all of) the old content by themselves either. This way, instead of just wishing for the new cards, you wish for all cards, still. This is way more difficult to pull off than a simple power creep that increases all values (HP, ATK, etc.) just to make new cards more desirable.

7. Alcoran

Alcoran New Member

Yeah; we have one way of this already, and that is elemental- or magic-resistance in the new dungeons. For example, Odin had 90% resistance to magic, meaning previously super-powerful characters - the SS mages + Bahamut/Leviathan - were largely useless vs. him (barring starwhip rofl, but you could use starwhip with regular, non-SS mages effectively as well).

8. Drewbiepie

Drewbiepie Well-Known Member

So far all three of the new characters introduced have been underwhelmingly mediocre, and in the case of Rejin, borderline garbage. Am curious to see how Yapukka will turn out.

9. ijii

ijii Active Member

I'm concerned that if Terra Battle reaches 2 million, that the mobile version will take a backseat when it comes to content when Mistwalker focuses on the console version. Or that some reason they'll have exclusive content on mobile version for those that have console game.

10. RabidKitten

RabidKitten Active Member

Ok, if I had it my way. I assume it would be easier to make the stamina cost the same. For me I would not need an XP/Item/Gold buff but it wouldn't hurt. Make NG+ chapters 1-5 require 60+ then after that make each battle heavily push the strategy initially outlined. For example Fire Enemies all health if dealt fire damage, status effects hit 100 percent of the time with out the guards for the specific status. NG+ should demand players tailor their party for each fight same as the Event bosses do.

Now as for how this would affect player behavior, it would certainly give me something todo with all these characters I have. I've been playing for 100 days, and without paying much at all I have a party combination for anything the game would throw at me, I would welcome a demanding NG+ with little reward.

11. nma099

nma099 Well-Known Member

MW should implement some fun zones to dump stamina, here are some ideas:
    - a zone with 30 to 50 Power Pyramids costing 100 stamina, for metal ticket farming
    - a boss rush with a selection of bosses dropping legendary weapons, also with high stamina cost
    - a zone with higher chance to recruit monsters with only recruitable monsters

Stuff like that.

They also need to implement a feature to transform rare items: example, you trade 2 or 3 particles for a particle you choose, same for tears and ores.

I don't think these features will require a lot of development as they could reuse what already exists.

12. NinthGhost

NinthGhost Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Actually all I really anticipate/care about is a solid PvP gameplay... and I will be patient until it is released.

13. Unchained

Unchained New Member

Did they announce PvP? Cause I really dont think it is even possible to make a "solid PvP" in this game.

14. NinthGhost

NinthGhost Well-Known Member

Medals:
    [​IMG]

How it will turn out? no idea

15. RabidKitten

RabidKitten Active Member

PvP is certainly a challenge and will require a lot of rebalancing. Forstarters first turn advantage would be an issue, second healers would be an issue. Currently most good healers can full heal a part each turn. Also the damage would have to rebalanced for PvP, since characters have 3000-4000 hp at 70 yet deal 12000+ damage total.

16. Matthieu

Matthieu Well-Known Member

Medals:
  17. Vagou

Vagou Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Yes but it's unclear whether tomorrow the update will be finished on MW side, OR if Apple will approve it. Some people asked about this but MW was ambiguous. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.

18. Matthieu

Matthieu Well-Known Member

Medals:
    With Apple, you can never be sure how much time it will take to have an update reviewed and ready for sale...

19. Lionel

Lionel Active Member

The current game state is tedius to play, boring and repetitive. The only thing you can really do is purchase energy unless you want to be left in monotomy gameplay. You can also start a new account and start clearing from the first stage. I currently have all my characters at 70 all jobs, all a,b,s,ss ans some monsters. My event chars with max SB and for once i dont care if my stamina just goes on crap or I just dont use it.

On the other hand i guess if i was saving money and purchasing chars i would probably be thrilled to get good chars and level them, but i dont so...

20. Laura Lita

Medals:
    I really hope it is because I've got nothing to do in the game aside from leveling Suoh and collection login bonuses