Suggestions on Future Story Mode Stage/Level Designs

Discussion in 'General' started by france001, May 15, 2017.

1. france001

france001 Active Member

Question: If you could make a level in a chapter, how would you design it, and what mobs would you create? Think, Super Mario Maker for Terra Battle.

As of now, story mode is a breeze with Stealth and Augment taps. I think it would be refreshing to have future chapters be considerably more challenging, all the while, being fair.

Some of the gimmicks I did like in previous chapters, which I think would be amazing to bring back:
    - Anti-Stealth
    - Transporting mechanisms (like in the Spiny Leviathan stage 27-10)
    - Enemies that can split your team up randomly (Chapter 13-8 Toxoid)
    - Nullify Healing mobs
    - Change Character Level mobs
    - Mobs that spawn traps
    - Level Syncing (Weekly Challenge Mode)
    - Icebind mobs

Now that Mist Walker developed a way to classify Ranked Adventurer units and companions into a point system, it would be pretty interesting to see how they could fit that in with story mode chapters too.

My ideal chapter would involve using the PvP point system, anti-Stealth, and stages that limit the number of units I can carry to 3 or 4 (like the Toxoid Boss).

2. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

I think limiting team composition with point system would decrease incentive to spend money to get higher class characters/companions.

I would prefer that game difficulty scale to match player's team, instead of lowering player's team to enemies' level.
    Like, they would have their minimum level, but if you take a team with higher level, then their level and stats would be adjusted to match your team.

I would also like enemies to be able to "think" and do not have move/attack pattern. This way, utilities, healers, and defensive characters would become more important, since players cannot just predict and dodge every attack phrases.

Make status effects more intimidating, so players would be forced to prepare against them;
    - Confusion should not only make characters running around, it should make them attack and use their skills on their own team as well.
    - Have a Contiguous Virus status that will spread moderately-high-damaged poison-like effect on adjacent characters, so players would have to be careful not to chain them in close proximity.
    - If you let your team members sleep for 3 turns without waking them up, they will wake up grumpy and have half ATK and half MATK for 2 turns.

Introduce stages that have Fog of War; only area (1) surrounding team members can be seen. So players cannot easily form a perfect chain, even with Stealth and Control Time. Only Lightning, Fire, and Photon skills can light up tiles they have effect on for 1 turn.

Have enemies with skills that can switch bodies with your team members for a few turns; enemies now control your characters, and you control theirs. If your unit or enemy die while body-switched, both units also die. To exorcise enemies back to their original bodies, enemy-controlled characters have to be pincered by a healer unit.

freelame likes this.
  3. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Mobs that don't die from 1 or 2 pincers. Raise their Defense or HP up to eleven. What's the point of Barriers, healings, ailments if you can one-shot most enemies anyway. And of course these mobs aren't immune to ailments.

Some special stages with unique requirements. Like, enemies that only take 1 damage to any attacks, but only have 20 HP.

4. Moskentraumen

Moskentraumen Active Member

Something like 20-1: 20 floors, 4 bosses

the king should play a role again as his daughter as well. after that chapter you can recode 54B2 and 36AIS

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  5. placas

placas Member

A chapter which his final boss was a squad of characters like vs battle and here you can use your eidolons

6. tieuzbao

tieuzbao Active Member

Some of these ideas sound pretty good. I especially like the confusion idea, where a confused unit would go berserk and activate all their skills and in the process hurt your enemies and your own units. Or the Boss randomly taking control of one of your unit for the duration of the battle, imagine bringing Mizelle to the fight only to have her turn against you for 2 or 3 turns?

Like the Boss at half its life would do the evil villain laugh then fly into the unit possessing a random unit, you'll have to kill that unit to release the Boss...now at 50% or 25% life...you'll face off with one less unit...hopefully your best unit or prized unit aka Gego didn't get killed.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  7. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    I like lynx's idea of a point system. But how about we make a new mode where you replay remixes of each level, and you're required to use certain Adventurers from a pre-selected set to complete the level?

Rewards can be basic stuff like Energy and Otomo.

Speaking of status debuffs, I don't think we have any enemies that inflict a status on death. Like enemies that perform Paralyze Area 1 upon death - Would make some people think a little more about whether or not they should perform a pincer, and adds more value to Adventurers with Panacea, heal, and status resist skills.

Kinetic traps are criminally underused I think besides the latest chapter and some endgame bosses. They artificially limit players by having them use a character that can Ward or Dismarm it, or a character with an Otomo to do the same thing. Players lacking both will need more Control Time.

8. TrueShadow

How about something that resembles Tin Parade? There's a spot where enemies will rush to, and you need to kill them before they reach it.

Oh, this idea is nice. They already have enemies that cast status cure upon death (chapter 34 mobs), so doing the opposite shouldn't be much work.

9. france001

france001 Active Member

I am totally up for a hard-mode for a few more older stages. There were a bunch of bosses that were pretty damn challenging when I started off, and it would be cool to see them even beefier.

Mobs that can possess units... Sounds OP, haha!
    But I do like the idea that your own character skills can be used against you. Building off of Joker's Wild Card Skill ("Randomly triggers a team member's skill"), I would make a tanky 2x2 Boss that can do "Wild Card, Cross, All" every turn with your own character's skills with mobs who use Demoralize/Impair Skills, Area(1) for trolling.

Side note:
    Despite not fitting in with Story Mode, I think MW should redesign some of the Co-Op Eidolon Boss Stages to fit into solo challenges. Considering they made Bahamut into an Co-op Eidolon, turning an Eidolon into an event Boss could be super fun and make them relevant again.

10. TrueShadow

THIS PLEASE. It's a shame having all these Eidolon Adventurers yet they're all completely useless. Please let them get BLO treatment and be actually useful characters.