Super casual player returning after a long break, what/who do i need to know about?

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Yin, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Yin

Yin Member

I stopped playing quite some time ago, probably shortly after Eidolons(?) were introduced / when recodes were first being announced, but not actually released yet. In terms of the story I'm somewhere in Chapter 24. I'm just looking for a catch-up course on new mechanics I need to look out for and how to get around them, as well as any balance changes/ noteworthy adventures. Also when is the next PoT event? Spent the day thinking about buying 100 energy and maybe hoping for an SS healer, or any other new unit that looks good then inevitably regretting it when I got nothing but silvers seeing as I never bothered trying to clear out the PoT/PoF so there's plenty of silvers to be pulled. But, if there's a good PoT event around the corner I'll try to wait it out so I can get at least 1 non-silver to make it feel worthwhile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently I run Yukken, Rikken, Bahl, Zerro, Pizfer, Kuscah. Never really branched out beyond that because I'm not far into the game enough to need anything outside a generic squad. Trying to at least get my foot into "endgame" type of content so I'll take any advice on other units I should work on for the long-term while I farm materials/ push further into the story. I really want Mutoh because that art is absolutely gorgeous, but from the little I've read that's far and beyond anything I'll be doing anytime soon, but any advice to help prep for that is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Shin'en, Mutoh, and Dragon Kings are strictly endgame contents. Looking at your roster, you're not going to do them anytime soon.

Recap of new mechanics:

- Recode DNA: Process of "sacrificing" a character in return for a stronger character. These recoded characters usually have the Lambda character in their name. Koko -> Koko^, Olber -> Olber^ and so on. The new character starts over at level 1, but they're stronger. Not all characters can be recoded, although it looks like everyone is getting them sooner or later.

- Companions: TB's equivalent of equipments is other games. Equipping a companion gives you bonus stats, as well as an extra skill to use. Some people call "Companions" by its Japanese term, "Otomo".
    --- Omicron Companions: Character-exclusive companions. They can only be equipped by a certain character and their recode. They have "O" in their name. For example, Amina O can only be equipped by Amina or Amina^.

- New Elements : Photon and Gravity. They oppose each other. However, Photon is also strong against Darkness, and Graviton strong against Lightning, but not vice versa. Only a handful of characters have them, all of them Z classes, so they're pretty rare.

- New Stage traps: Four new types of traps. Levitation have no effect on them. Strictly end-game contents only.
    --- Twister: Deals damage.
    --- Time trap: If you move through it, you lose -2 second to move
    --- Dimensional Rift: Characters who step on it disappear from the stage for 2 turns, then appear at random location
    --- Kinetic Trap: This trap moves around the stage, damages the characters you're moving but not stationary characters. The most reviled of the new traps.

- Trading Post: You can get various Animata items from various stages, and you can trade them at the Trading Post for other items and companions. The Kino and 8bit dungeons are specialized for getting these Animata items.

- Luck and Luck Chests: New stat, similar to SB. Your team's average Luck is used to determine the drop rate of the Luck Chests at the end of the stage. There are 6 chests in total. The first four chests can drop anytime, but the fifth chest requires average 80 Luck to open, and the final chest requires 100 Luck. Most of them are just extra loot, but some end-game items are exclusive to these chests. You gain Luck randomly after each stage, and the higher the stage's stamina cost, the higher chance you get Luck.

- Tap skills: A new type of skills that need to be activated manually by tapping the characters before you start moving. You have 3 charges of them for the entire battle and you can activate them whenever you want. They provide major stat boosts, but only last a single turn.

Jenny likes this.
  3. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Now, for your team, you should at least finish chapter 30. That marks the end of the easy mode TB. Chapter 31 onwards, you will need various types of characters. Start by at least unlocking all jobs on all characters.

Notable characters are Gatz, Bonna, and Zeera since they have utility skills. Gatz has Treasure Hunter whoch increases drop rate, and you can recode him to the powerful Gatz^. Bonna has Seasoned Pro to increase your EXP gain, and like Gatz, can be recoded to the powerful Bonna^. Zeera can increase your Coin gain, useful when farming Coin Creeps.

I recommend you to finish the Pact of Fellowship. This will let you clear 7 Adventurers from Pact of Truth, and 3 of them can be recoded:
    - Seiryu: A rather weak for a Z class, but one of only two Adventurers to have Shadowbind. Very useful for Metal Zone 6.
    - Sheena: Decent sword character.
    - Suoh: Strong physical character. Can be recoded to Suoh^, who is also strong.
    - Camellia: Decent physical character. Camellia^ is also decent.
    - Maralme: Weak A character.
    - Velraine: Weak A character.
    - Jaguna: Shit character, but actually has a good recode. Basically Magikarp.

Also get Bahamut, Leviathan, and Odin. For free characters, they are very good, and they too can also be recoded. Leviathan^ is especially so, since she has Icebind to help with Metal Zone 7.

4. Axiom273

Axiom273 Active Member

Also, Bahl and S'naip are insanely powerful when recoded, and Palpa's recoded form has a Augment Attack Tap skill that, when combined with the aforementioned two characters and Ma'curi will easily allow one to wipe (nearly) any stage. However, recoding them (except for maybe Palpa) will not really be available until after you reach and clear Ch. 35. Like TrueShadow said, I suggest you clear endgame content first.

5. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice, but I'd like to add a few things.

1. Finish the main story first. Doing so increases your total stamina to about 120. It also unlocks certain characters, Metal Zones and stage 34.10 which is the second best place to level outside of Metal Zone 7. Since you're lacking Seiryu and Levi^ and you probably don't have any King/Dragon fans you probably can't run Metal Zones 6 and 7 yet. 34.10 will be an important stage for you for the next few weeks.
    2. Don't worry too much about recoding characters yet. Focus first on unlocking jobs and leveling most of your roster to 65/65/90. Most events can be handled without recoded units if you prepare correctly and study the strategies. There are some adventurers you can ignore until you have solid footing.
    3. Also don't worry about finishing the Pacts of Fellowship/Fellowship of Fate just yet. Clearing both will require LOTS of money and your focus should be on prepping your roster to handle most end game content. The best place for you to farm money is Coin Creeps over the weekend and during the half stamina events in the arena. You can also save money by not spending any on the Companions of Fellowship (you can get good companions from the TP) and by taking Yukken and her ProNeg into chapters 1-5 and recruiting everything first. Chapters 1-5 are all 1 stamina now so it's more efficient to recruit with Yukken than to buy from the PoF.
    4. As mentioned above the Kino/8-bit arena battles are used to farm currency for the trading post and the trading post is an excellent way to get your hands on some pretty good companions (and companion tickets), plenty of job/recode items, Metal Minions for leveling companions and power ups like experience and coin boosters. The problem with Kinos/8-bit bosses is that they have very specific weaknesses and take about 10% damage from all other sources. Tiamat Kino, for example only takes damage from fire and ice and reduces all other damage to the low hundreds. Lacking the appropriate party members will make the battle very difficult if not impossible.
    5. It was mentioned above, but I would wait until you clear the PoF before pulling from the PoT. You have a solid enough roster to last you quite a while. For heals you can keep using Kuscah. He's only a B, but he's actually better than most of the SS healers.
    Characters you can ignore for now.
    Like I mentioned above, a diverse roster for the Trading Post grind is important and will help you get up to speed much faster than recoding a few adventurers will. I'm only saying to ignore them until you reach a point where you can 'easily' level units and have excess Particles, Tears and Ores when unlocking/recoding them (you need lots of items to evolve companions). These units have very specific uses, are generally not good or you already have a better option so you're better off focusing resources elsewhere. Disclaimer: any future recodes can make one of these units a must have - keep that in mind.

Burbaba, Zafitte, Gaiga, Djugen, Ka'pori, Kana, R'zonand, Samupi, Metupi, Velraine, Maralme, Zan, Ra'prow, Sh'berdan, O'pari, Sorman (he's the same as Kuscah), Zenzoze, Gigojago, U'nasag, Lunato, Puprope', Pupropu.

6. Yin

Yin Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'll focus on clearing story mode and I guess I'll avoid pulling unless a 2-10 event is up. It's a long ways off, but it seems like when I do get to recoding I should prioritize Bahl/Bonna/Gatz?
    Also, the Lucia event is currently going on, should I try to get her 100%sb and recoded before the event ends? Or is she not really worth the effort?