Terra Battle 2 (NA) shutting down!

Discussion in 'General' started by Quartzel, Jun 3, 2018.

1. chulainn

chulainn Active Member

Killing TB1 would be a poor choice with both Terra Wars and TB3 on the horizon.

2. Quartzel

Quartzel Well-Known Member

Well they could technically shutdown the translation team, and just leave JP language.

Good thing compared to TB2 is at least we can keep our accounts on their server.

3. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

This was completely expected so it's nice to have official closure I guess. I'm going to go spend all my energies and tickets for the hell of it. The official announcement is worth a read though, in it Sakaguchi acknowledges and credits many of the fan communities who have supported TB2, which is the least he could do after this kind of failure.

This really is a shame though, the story was just getting interesting, and I think TB2 could have been good if not for some terrible decision making by both MW and SS. For the most part I feel badly for the creative team for how poorly executed TB2 was.

Speaking of TB1, the crossover is really awkward now, but since everyone is on the same server it would be weird if they simply neglected to tell the non-JP players about the content.

Rydia likes this.
  4. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

Haven't complained enough about TB2 yet, might as well add to this thread. :hilarious:

Aside from all the issues with the game, aside from the fact that some of us spent actual money on the game (for nothing), and aside from all the time spent grinding Unions and whatnot, the biggest issue here is what this does to MW's rep (because, let's be honest, no one cares about SS's rep).

TB2 is a failure (a catastrophic one) in North America, and is generating bad buzz even in Japan, where it's still going. Terra Wars doesn't look like a revolutionary take on tower defense, so it's not likely to change people's views of the company. Not only that, but some of MW's faithful fans (speaking partially from a personal perspective here) are pretty badly burned by this, and a smaller company like MW needs those fans to show up for every release.

Tl;dr -- I'm worried that the disaster that is/was TB2 will impact MW as a company much more than it is now. Sakaguchi is probably my favorite game-maker of all time, Fujisaka is one of my favorite artists, and I love all the big names that have been drawn in to work with MW (Amano, Uematsu, etc.). I hope they can bounce back from this, but I wish they'd have handled this with a little more respect for their NA fanbase.

tobsy and fei_dante like this.
  5. Quartzel

Well shutting down this shitty game was top respect.

Instead of hating because of shutdown, let's hate because of how poor launch was initially.

6. Sean Bond

The launch was poor, I agree. But there were people that whaled for the pacts right before the shutdown (especially the Godaugar pact), and even people that whaled for energy during the White Day event (for Elga). It's not like this was TB1, where even if no content came out ever again, you'd have plenty of endgame stuff to use new units on; people were trying to put together OP teams for future content, only to have the rug pulled out from under them. Shutting down before those guardians could even be put to use is pretty cold-blooded; they could at least have given us one last update to play until September.

Joe likes this.
  7. tobsy

tobsy Active Member

I had 165 energy saved up. Finally decided to just burn through it, pulled nothing interesting. Then I uninstalled. Oh well... it is what it is. :/

freelame and claude like this.
  8. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

Nah they wouldn't do that, it would cost them money unless they already had the update translated and uploaded to the server. The only reason why they are even keeping the server up until September is because that's probably when their contract or whatever that was already paid for expires. What is pretty dishonest is that they didn't disable super-energy purchases as soon as they decided to shutdown(and they didn't even mention refunds for any energy purchased during this time). They knew for over a month at least, and their "rebirth" announcement makes it look like a scam even.

Sean Bond and claude like this.
  9. Sean Bond

Oh I know, it would've just been a good move in terms of goodwill of the fanbase. Clearly they aren't worried about that at all (which in and of itself is a little worrisome).

10. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

I’m with Sean on this one

The utter lack of respect to the player base was a surprise.

After all the media and videos we’ve watched of Sakaguchi and the gang over the years, having fun, drinking wine, teasing new content, this was kind of a shock.

To be clear, I’m not surprised the game is shutting down. What surprised me was the communication.

1. “Rebirth!”
    2. “..............”
    3. “Shutdown.”

This is the best they could do? I’ll never trust them again. To be clear, I’ll never trust MISTWALKER again. It’s not like they handed everything over to SS and didn’t look back (or, if that’s the case, it’s equally damning in my eyes).

I gave MW a lot of benefit of the doubt on TB2 and spent $. Not whale, but considerable $. The potential was always there..... but they just never delivered. And I don’t even know why. Hell, I could have designed some stuff and I have pretty much no experience other than as a player. To me, this all feels like some kind of colossal ineptitude. How could it go so wrong?

Anyways I deleted both TB1 and 2, didn’t bother to spend my saved up energy, and won’t be looking forward to future titles. Why would I? They’re grindy games, and now the investment of TIME and $ is clearly not worth the risk.

I’m out. I guess this has been a good thing, in the end. I’ve been trying to spend less time on my phone, and this has really helped me to “let go” of phone gaming.

Now I’m into geocaching. It’s a much more wholesome hobby, you should look into it if you need something to do in the real world (and we all do).

Sean Bond and Joe like this.
  11. Quartzel

Well to be fair, only NA part was shutdown.

They did deliver to their JP countepart.

12. Zyron

Zyron Well-Known Member

I didn't see the japanese info. I read the apology on the english website and what MW promised:

We fully intend to make 2018 an amazing year for Terra Battle 2 by timely releasing new content, polishing existing features and the user interface, and improving accessibility.

What MW did, doesn't fit for me. Sorry. This was kicking fans asses at it's best

13. Quartzel

They did a translation of the devs comment at the time, but were probably still assessing NA situation with market.

Well anyway, TB2 was too much in shit already then, so such a content release wouldn't have changed much.

14. Kaim

Kaim Active Member

I do not think they'll ever release a game out of japan anymore.

15. Joe

Joe Active Member

And the least they could have done is refund those who spent money based on promises they never delivered. When I did ask for a refund (even in the form of TB1 energy) this is the reply I got :(

Thank you very much for playing "Terra Battle 2."

Thank you very much for writing to us regarding your intent to ask for refund for
    purchases. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Unfortunately, based on the
    Terms of Service agreed upon, this will not be possible, for that we apologize.

3. ACCOUNT, FEES AND REFUNDS

"All fees and charges you incurred in purchasing virtual items are non-refundable. You
    acknowledge and agree that we are not required to provide a refund to you for any reason,
    and that you will not receive any money or other compensation for unused virtual items
    when we stop offering and/or supporting any application available to you."

Sean Bond likes this.
  16. chulainn

chulainn Active Member

“So long and thanks for all the fish.”

17. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

Honestly, I didn't see the shutdown coming.
    I thought TB2 was stagnant in the same way TB1 was in its 1st year.
    ...and later things would slowly be better.

Oh well, how wrong I was...

I'm way more upset at how MW handle the shutdown situation than the actual shutdown itself though.
    I understand that it's a valid business move to keep silent until the refund window close to expire (iirc, IAP purchases older than 90 days can't be refunded), so players cannot ask for their money back through Google/Apple.
    But it's a total dick move.

I think most people, myself included, would not spend money on their games any more after the way they treated us.

As a business, I reckon they would probably look at the data and concluded that we are a bridge worth burning, and would have little consequences on their next projects. Maybe everything will be Japanese exclusives from now on.

Sean Bond likes this.
  18. Quartzel

I mean, did we play the same games ?
    TB1 at launch was so great. Seriously got me into f2p mobile games, moreso than PAD or Brave Frontier at the time.
    Also with Baha, Levi and Odin stages early on. A great CO-OP mode also not long after.
    The Last Story halfway in the year, alongside Z recodes.
    And considering we had a whole 30 Chapters at freaking launch.

While TB2 was...
    a piece of shit and still months later.

tieuzbao, claude and Kaim like this.
  19. Kaim

Kaim Active Member

Exactly. 30 chapters in the launch. With good mechanics and increasingly challenging as we progressed. Also, Bahamut, Levi, Odin, Last Story, Co-op (Chaos, Artemis, Lamia)...

The problem of TB1 came right after, when they started to get content very occasionally.

20. Sean Bond

TB1 didn't initially blow me away, but it was certainly way more balanced and more polished than TB2 generally was. But they're both gacha games, so I figured there was room to improve regardless, and TB1 has proved a gem in that regard.

The plan for 2 seems to have been "fuck the NA fanbase, let's try to milk Taiwan before it's too late." It's too bad, too, because I felt like TB2 was right on the cusp of fixing itself, mostly. This tells me they don't have the same confidence I did.