The Primordial Dragon King ... for Dummies

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Unknown, May 11, 2016.

1. Unknown

Unknown Member

[​IMG]

Forward: I'm writing this post, even though there are already several good discussions/guides (see links below), because I found this fight very challenging even with their aid. Perhaps those players are much more talented. For me to win consistently, breaking the fight down into a few simple phases with rules made it much easier. So I made a guide to make it as simple as possible.

Why do this fight at all?
    It rewards the player with one of the most powerful otomos in the game. Furthermore, as the next "dragon boss" is light element, these otomos may be necessary to defeat that boss without more of the new Z graviton-element characters.

Why is the fight hard?
    The boss will use an attack that does 9999 damage to everyone on the screen unless you reduce his HP very quickly, so you have to bring him from 80% HP down below 45% HP in one attack (210,000 Damage), or survive 9999 fixed damage each turn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Team Building
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    What team is needed?
    There are two strategies that require slightly different teams.

Team Nova Attack:
    Strategy 1: (Deal at least 210,000 damage in 1 turn)
    Damage Required: 2-3 of S'naip, Ma'curi, or Bahl
    --You need physical damage units and these are some of the best.
    --Peta otomos (Bow of Gengi, Ragnorok, Rune) > Celestial Envoy > ***
    *** = If you have 2 Augment Attack users, then Silver Spear/Bow/Sword
    ***= If you ahve 1 Augment Attack user, then Skullsplitter
    (Thank you Ael, for information on damage calculation.)
    --All level 90, third job, SB 70% or higher.
    --Skill selection: Ma'curi can skip 1000 spears. All units can skip +10% Attack if you have 2 Augment Attack users.

Augment Attack Required: 1-2 of Schweiz, Peyrna, Gatz Λ, or Palpa Λ
    --These units allow the Nova.
    --Schweiz and Peyrna are the best as they have CT+4sec. Palpa is not useless as her shield can help protect the Ballista target, and her regeneration is not useless. Gatz Λ does not have to be fully leveled, as he doesn't contribute much beyond the augment attack.
    --Otomos: Schweiz and Peyrna benefit from White Orbling, in case you botch a kinetic trap. Otherwise healing otomos are usefull.

Control Time Very Useful: 1 of Schweiz, Peyrna, Andelucia, Koko Λ, Samantha Λ, or others*
    --Pincers are not reliable every turn, so in my opinion, Gegonago Λ is less useful for this.
    --Otomos: White Orbling, in case you botch a kinetic trap. Otherwise healing otomos are usefull.

Impair Defense Optional: 1 of Myne or Edg'low
    --Can lower Boss's defense for Nova turn.

Other Teammates:
    The rest of your team just aids the above. I like to bring 1 healer, or 2 healing otomos, to deal with the Ballista and Kinetic Trap damage. Olber Λ is useful as the defense capsules can protect on certain turns, but the boss dispels them every 6th turn, limiting the use. Gegonago Λ is good for the turn that the Boss drops to 25% Hp and summons 6 enemies in case their positioning is bad. Other suggestions are welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Step-By-Step Guide to the Fight
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    Stage 1:
    Dodge the Boss's attacks, while you pick off minions.

Boss summons 2 Stony Cerberus and 1 Ballista, then begins it's attack pattern.
    Goal 1: Kill the 2 Stony Cerberus
    --They are very weak and die to 1 good pincer so try to kill both on turn 1.
    --Rarely one will hide in the shadow of the boss's attacks. Get it as soon as it comes out while avoiding it's attacks.
    --They advertise where they're going to attack, so if you leave one alive avoid horizontal squares if it's sword, vertical squares if it's spear, and adjacent squares if it's bow.

Goal 2: Kill the Ballista
    --It has a good amount of defense, so will take multiple pincers, preferably with S'naip, Ma'curi, or Bahl
    --It always targets the farthest away party member, so use that to your advantage and have it target members that will survive the attack and can heal.
    --Rarely it will align to help kill the boss with a 3x pincer, so some choose to leave it alive, but in my experience more consistent wins if you kill it.

Tips: rotate who is hit by the Ballista if you can't heal. Avoid Boss attacks, as they will most often be OHKOs.

Stage 2:
    Now it's just you and the boss, and you can delay forever without taking damage, while you set up the Nova Attack.

Goal 1: Wait to strike dodging Boss attacks. The Boss has a simple pattern:
    --1 Column (Red warning shadow [Thank you MW!])
    --2 Row (Red warning shadow)
    --3 Life Drain Area 1 (No shadow. Likely instant death to any adjacent.)
    --4 Column (Red warning shadow)
    --5 Row (Red warning shadow)
    --6 White Virus, Area (2) (No shadow. Free turn.)

So the rules are simple during this stage.
    1) Never stand in the red shadow.
    2) If there is no red shadow (and you can't remember if it's Life Drain or White Virus, back off)
    3) Play it safe. Don't go through the kinetic blades (little swirly things) if there is no reason.

What you are waiting for is for the Boss to use Life Drain area 1. You now have 5 good turns to clobber it. After the boss uses Life Drain, move in and get a double pincer. You do not need the PowerPoint on this pincer. The purpose of this is to decrease the Boss's HP closer to %80 and to activate the "Physical Damage x1.5, Self, 30%" of S'naip, Ma'curi, and Bahl twice. This will prime their attack stats for the next step, the nova attack.

If you have 2 Augment Attack-er and 3 Damage units you can proceed to the nova after one double pincer.

If you have only 1 Augment Attack-er and only 2 Damage units things are harder. You need to get two double pincers, that leave the boss at as close to 80% (>48,000) Hp as possible, then exacute 2 double pincers. (It also helps to have all 3 Damagers and a 4th party member that does respectable damage, such as Odin ).

Now that S'naip, Ma'curi, and/or Bahl have 2-4 "Physical Damage x1.5, Self, 30%" on them, you can Nova. Activate all of your Augment Attack abilities, then set up the double pincer. The order of the attacks is important! Ideally you want your lower damaging units to activate first, then your higher damaging units, so they get one more boost. There is an easy way to do this.

The highest damage units are S'naip/Ma'curi, then Bahl, then the rest of your team. So for instance, if you are using Schweiz to move, you will position him opposite Bahl, and position S'naip/Ma'curi in the remaining double pincer. This way the first pincer will be Schweiz and Bahl and the second S'naip/Ma'curi. This makes a large difference in damage.

If the nova attack worked the boss should now be below 45% HP and not instantly kill you with Thrash All.

If you fail this stage, pay more attention to how much Hp the boss has before and after the Nova Attack. Getting closer to 80%, making sure you get your two double-pincers, and using good DPSers can make the difference.)

(Thank you Tujion, Limitbreaker and Chrismesco for additional information).

Stage 3:
    If the boss was left with above 25% HP, it will be super easy, as nothing changes. You're alone with the Boss, just slowly and safely lower it's HP, until it's below 25%.

Stage 4:
    Once below 25% HP (from the Nova attack or otherwise) the boss will summon 6 Stony Cerberus. Your goal is to kill them all ASAP.

This is actually an easy place to die, especially if the Boss is doing something dangerous. So here are some tips.
    1) Look at how each Stony Cerberus is going to attack and avoid it. (Sword = avoid horizontal, Spear = avoid vertical, Bow = avoid adjacent). They have low defense and will die to most pincers, so keep that in mind as well.
    2) Pincer all you can safely, and avoid the attacks of the rest.
    3) Slowly whittle them down avoiding the boss.

After you kill the last Stony Cerberus, you've essentially won.

Stage 5:
    Cleanup

All throughout stage 4, the boss was loosing 5% defense each turn, so it is easier to kill now. Even if only 2 people survived stage 4, you can win, easily.

1) Be very patient. Focus on not getting hit and just pincer when it is easy.

Take your time here and your victory is almost inevitable.

Win:
    Collect one of the best otomos in the game!

Tips
    Overall Tips:
    1) Be patient and only strike when conditions are right.
    2) There is a lot to keep track of, so simplify your turn and don't shoot for the perfect turn, like you would on any other level, just do what you need to each turn.

Kinetic Trap Tips:
    1) The kinetic trap detects the location of your finger on the screen, so you can get hit, even if your adventurer didn't touch the blade. This is most noticeable when you drag your finger over an enemy unit. Your adventurer stops, but your finger continues and you can get hurt, so avoid that mistake.
    2) The kinetic trap deals a flat 3000 damage. This means that all of your characters should be able to take 1 hit, some can take 2 (if HP>6000). Use this to your advantage, and feel free to take a hit if you need to, especially if you can heal anyway.
    3) Avoid them when there is no need to go through.
    4) They are easiest to avoid at the edges of the screen, so move there when you can.

Boss Tips:
    1) Avoid the red shadow. (Although a few characters can survive in it, notably Olber with a couple of capsule boosts)
    2) If there is no red shadow, avoid the Boss unless you are sure it's White Virus.
    3) Keep track of how many pincers your team takes to get the boss to 80% and incorporate that into your plan.
    4) If you damaged the boss earlier and are worried about bringing him below 80% before the nova attack, use weaker units to pincer.
    5) Some units can survive the Life Drain attack or the Bash attacks, and those units can be useful for pincers.

Ballista Tips:
    1) It attacks the farthest unit, so make it attack who you want.
    2) Using Olber's barrier or Palpa's barrier a unit can survive many hits without healing.
    3) Sometimes the stars will align and it will be in a position with the boss to allow a 3x picncer. This can lead to an instant kill of the boss, but in my experience is not consistent, and so I recommend killing it before attacking the boss.

Alternate Method
    You can also use 4-6 Tonberries to survive the 9999 damage attacks. You need to get a double pincer most turns to survive. The advantage of this method is you can use any party, the disadvantage is that it is harder because of the kinetic traps.

If you want to use this method you need:
    1) At least 4 Tonberry otomos.
    2) The Tonberries must be at 100% or you must bring a power-point amp user (Gagba, Ellvern, etc...) and even then you'll need to kill the boss quickly.
    3) CT user as above.
    4) Healing otomos or healer.

Team Tonberry:
    Strategy 2: Double pincer with every unit every turn with Tonberries to survive.
    Control Time -- Required at least 1. The same characters as above, with the exception, that now because you're going to double pincer each turn anyway, Gegonago Λ is now great character and stealth is icing on the cake. Ellvern Λ is also good as he already has CT+4 and an additional CT+2 chain.
    Characters with High HP --Tonberry boosts last 2 turns. This means that with 2 double pincers a turn, you can have up to 4 "stacks" of Tonberry boosts active at a time. However sometimes kinetic traps will make this difficult, so it helps to have characters that can survive with 3 stacks. Choices include but are not limited to: A'misandra Λ, Ellvern Λ, Nakupi Λ, Snaip, Macuri, Bahl (give her defense+10% self instead of attack).
    Healers -- In addition to traditionally awesome healers, regenerate users are useful, including Jaguna Λ, and Palpa Λ.
    Damage -- As above (To speed things up)
    Augment Attack -- As above. You can use Augment Attackers to skip the end phase of the boss (from >25% Hp to 0%Hp)

Strategy:
    Stage 1

Follow as above until the thrash phase. (Kill Stony Cerberus etc...)
    Stage 2
    Lower the boss's Hp so that it is 2 double pincers away from Thrashing. (You will have to figure this out for your team, but for teams with (S'naip+Ma'curi+Bahl) it's aroung 520K).

Wait for Life Drain Area 1 attack.

Double pincer twice, protecting you with 4 Tonberry stacks and bringing the boss into Thrash All range.

Stage 3
    Kill the boss while double-pincering every turn to keep your Tonberry Stack.

Stage 4-5
    S
    ame as above, except you can use Augment Attack users to skip Stage 5.

(Special thanks to FishInTheDark, CulturalGeekGirl Windrixx and others for additional information on the Tonberry Method!)

FAQ
    This Boss is still too hard! What should I do?
    Challenges in terra battle get easier over time. I faught the first Leviathon without a leviate unit, when the level cap was 70, and without Lewtwo. Now the level cap is 90 and I have Lewtwo Λ. This boss isn't going anywhere permanently, and they will likely introduce new content that ends up making it easier (like the new Tap otomos).

Where should I level my team?
    The most efficient place for a few members is 34-10 on hard mode. If you're leveling the new Z characters, you can do the level that drops their respective stars at the same time. Otherwise 20-1 is an old favorite.

How should I level my Axion Dragon?
    Wait until there is a +% event and feed it Metal Minion Lambdas. (I think this is better than the current 3x event, but someone can correct below)

What is the Slippery Sand For?
    Leveling Axion Dragon.

What is the Conceptual Canvas For?
    Leveling Holy Dragon.

I heard you can kill it 3 turns with 2 Augment Attackers and the 3 Damage-Dealers.
    You can, but only if the enemies move perfectly, which they rarely do.

Which method is easiest?
    With at least 2 Augment Attack users, the nova attack is easier. With only 1 Augment Attack user and 2 Damage-Dealers, the Tonberry might be slightly easier.

How Long will this Event Last?
    Forever? If it goes away temporarily, I'm confident it will return.

Does Grace help?
    No the Boss is a Celestial, not a Dragon.:troll:

Links to other guides and discussions
    First Guide with nice videos:

http://terrabattleforum.com/threads/the-primordial-dragon-king-the-real-way.10690/
    More in depth Tonberry Discussion:
    http://terrabattleforum.com/threads/the-primordial-dragon-king-the-real-way.10690/#post-107380

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Rocco, Onark, Tiomil and 12 others like this.
  2. Vintt

Vintt Active Member

Thank you so much for this, this clears up a lot!

3. FishInTheDark

FishInTheDark Forum Event Manager Staff Member

Some Tonberry tips to make your life easier
    -I like using Augment characters with Tonberries to skip the last phase with the two spikes. The thrash phase is easy so no need to skip that (he doesn't move).
    -Stick with horizontal pincers if possible because it's much easier to move your units around the spikes in an up/down motion than to move them left/right on the spike row if you're unlucky.
    -Ellvern^ and Jaguna ^ are underrated units that are amazing with Tonberry in PDK

supergaijin and Unknown like this.
  4. Tujion

Tujion Well-Known Member

I have just Palpa Lambda as Augment atk unit. I need to make sure I do a double pincer before the yolo turn. Sometimes I deliberately use Palpa Lambda to lead a pincer to avoid getting PDK's HP below 80%. I find it best to do the yolo turn when PDK is at the turn of White Virus, because then you may form double pincers either vertically or horizontally. The more choices the better.

Once it was possible to make only a single pincer on PDK before yoloing, but I managed to salvage the battle by making a pincer on Ballista which I left alive. This chained two units with damage x 1.5 and then a double pincer on PDK managed to get his HP down below 45%.

Once I got thrashed because I forgot to tap Palpa Lambda before moving. I had gotten too excited when seeing a perfect move. :shifty:

Unknown likes this.
  5. limitbereaker

limitbereaker Active Member

Some additional tips if you only got palpa/\
    From step 2 to get boss to skip thrash all.
    Before i just double pincer 2 time in a row and never get past that phase.
    I suggest to single pincer each time to tickle the boss life to around 550000.
    Each single pincer does around 10000.
    Once down to 550000 than do the first double pincer . This should get him down to 48-500000. First double pincer does around 40-60000.
    During this pincer i like to have my mover next to palpa to get as much time bonus for the next pincer.
    Now power up for the final double pincer to skip thrash phase. Make sure your hard hitters are pincer combo two.

Before i was just going for luck and dont check boss hp before double pincer and never got pass thrash. So i decided to make note of how much dmg i do to get the dragon as close as 480000.

My current team palpa/\ healing otomo
    Bahl snaip mac odinz all with damage otomo
    Bonna z with hour glass otomo. That +1 sec can be life and death for me as sometime you get in a bad position.

Also dont ever use palpa to move . I find most time i accidentally tap her due to hesitant thinking and activate her power up. Now i choice to avoid ever using her as lead mover.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Unknown likes this.
  6. Vicioustein

Vicioustein Active Member

Thanks for the guide. Just noticed that the Life Drain attack doesn't kill one shot the Z characters (Tested for Odin Z and Ellvern Z).

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Unknown likes this.
  7. Ael

Ael Active Member

It depend of how augment characters you have.

If you have 2 of them, you reach 190 (2*3*30 from augment +10 from equiped skill). In that case, you must not take the "+10% atk self" skill, but a mega or giga attack (bahl does not have :/). And the best otomos are basical otomo with giga attack (silver bow/spear/sword) are the best for the third place.

If you have only one augment, skullsplitter remains excelent otomo. If you do not have them, again the silver weapon otomo remains very good.

If you play with tomberry, and reach trash phase just after a white virus, you have no longer sufficient stack of tomberry shield, and weak people as trinity or other A/B characters may (will?) be killed.

Thanks a lot for your guide :)

I suppose I miss something, why are they "so" good ?

Unknown likes this.
  8. FishInTheDark

FishInTheDark Forum Event Manager Staff Member

If you have Tonberries, your main problems are
    1) Getting enough time to align your party in a double pincer
    2) Keeping your party properly healed

Ellvern ^ has +4sec CT and also +2sec CT chain. You basically dont have to worry about running out of time to get up your pincers with him. He also has giga regen chain.
    Jaguna ^ has both immediate healing and regen chain healing + some dps so you don't need a dedicated healer. She's one of the few characters with both types of healing. You need immediate healing for when you hit a mine or screw up your double pincer and don't have enough hp to tank thrash next turn.

9. windrixx

windrixx Member

I don't have an Augment/Impair unit so I've only been using Tonberries for now. For the Tonberry method:

Gegonago Z is king. Because you have to play with single and double traps, double-stacking CT+3 All allows you to actually make the double pincer every turn required to survive Thrash, and Stealth lets you make ridiculous pincers especially when he spawns the 5 adds. If you don't have him, try to get someone with CT+ chain at the minimum, since you must double pincer or units will die.

If you don't have Tonberries at 100% you will need Power Point Amp, and even then you need to start the Thrash phase with all 3 bars full since you will slowly lose PP charge as you go through the phase. If your PP Amp char dies you should probably S/L unless you're done the Thrash phase already.

The key to not losing anyone to the first Thrash is to know your DPS. If you're using PP Amp, you have to be able to time the Thrash to happen after you've double pincered with PP twice. This means that you have to execute a perfect double pincer with PP and NOT take him below 480K health (80%), and then do it again the turn after to ensure everyone has 4 stacks of Tonberry on his first Thrash. From there on it's a matter of double pincer with PP every turn until 270K health.

Unknown likes this.
  10. CulturalGeekGirl

CulturalGeekGirl Active Member

Great post, though your Tonberry portion is a bit light. Feel free to incorporate any of this.

Tonberry strat tips

Note that most level 90 characters can survive Bash if they have even a single Tonberry stack. Make sure nobody caught in Bash is the Ballista target (the unit furthest away from the Ballista), but otherwise you have considerable liberty to pincer even inside the red telegraph.

The following team can alternate double pincers and single pincers during Thrash (fully leveled Tonberries may be required):
    A'misandra^, Ellvern^, Nakupi^, Snaip, Macuri, Bahl (give her defense+10% self instead of attack). I assume Gego^ works as well as Ellvern^ for this, and Koko^ can sub in for Ellvern^ or any of the DPS (though you'll be tight on move time without Ell or Gego). None of these die from having only 3 Tonberry stacks during a Thrash round.

Most Z characters can also survive life drain: I've tested Ellvern^, Koko^, Amisandra^, Odin^, and Nakupi^. I think Gegonago^, Samatha^, Amazora^ and Jaguna^ should be fine as well. Using 4 Zs who survive lifedrain and then two of the trinity to do your actual DPS might be an interesting strat.

Also, to echo windrix above: surviving Thrash is all about timing. Here's the "super safe strat" I use when I'm not rushing through.

When the dragon gets below 540k, stop pincering him at all. Kill the Ballista if it's still alive, and wait for him to Life Drain.
    After life drain, start DPSing as hard as you can. If you're at around 520k, two double pincers where Snaip/Mac/Bahl lead the second pincer should take him into Thrash. Even if you can't set pincers up perfectly, you have the White Virus turn to do your double pincer.

A different team may do different amounts of DPS, so your thresholds may vary somewhat. The big takeaway is this:

1) figure out how much health is "two double pincers away from Thrash" for your team
    2) Get the PDK down to that amount of health
    3) wait for life drain, then push him into Thrash mode

Unknown likes this.
  11. Unknown

Unknown Member

Thank you everyone for the additional information and advise! I'll update the guide.

12. Chrismesco

Chrismesco Member

Thanks for this guide! With it I was finally able to kill the PDK. If it can help, my observations are:
    - My team was Macuri/Bahl/Snaip for DPS (celestial envoy for Bahl, skullsplitter for the two others), GegoZ for CT+3, Gatz^ for attack hop, AmiZ for heal.
    - First I killed the 2 dogs. Then slowly killed ballista. Then waited for the PDK to do his life drain.
    - After the life drain, I did 2 double pincers with all my characters chained (order of pincer didn't matter).
    - For the third attack, I activated Gatz^ attack hop. I then found out that double pincering the PDK wasn't enough to get pass the trash phase, even with the characters in the right order (Gatz and Bahl first, then Macuri and Snaip). So I moved the chars to do the double pincer, and also added a single pincer with GegoZ and Amiz which would trigger first. I moved the PP near Amiz so her extend chain triggered Macuri's buff. This triple buff for Macuri did the work and I was able to skip the trash phase.
    - After that I only had to kill the spawned dogs and the dragon without urge, as with GegoZ it was easy to avoid any damage.

13. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

Thanks for these tips, does anyone also have a video of their successful battles, I find it easier to grasp the battles when I visually see the fights.

14. Vicioustein

Vicioustein Active Member

Here is a video, If it can help

Terra-Em likes this.
  15. Sakuno

Sakuno New Member

Thank you very much for this guide. This helps a lot!

16. Ael

Ael Active Member

How TH is working on this boss ?

With 2 (alikaZ and GatzZ) of them, I have between 7 and 10 objects (more often 7 :/), with always a bow or bronze.
    On the wiki, they said you have a 3 to 5 stars, and 3 to 5 caneva/sand at 100% As TH any impact on this loot ?

17. Jeba

Jeba Well-Known Member

TH has no influence on the number of Stars, Sands/Canvas drops.

18. yeezus

yeezus Well-Known Member

You mean I've been doing the hardest method (single augmenter, Gatz Z) instead of the Tonberry method for no reason this whole time? :(

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  19. windrixx

windrixx Member

The tonberry method is definitely harder than the augment method. Unless you enjoy making perfect double pincers for like 8 turns in a row with the trap, stick to augment.

20. Ael

Ael Active Member

I really prefer tomberry method to augment method, because with only one augment, it's very hard to make the perfect double pincer on the right time. With one augment, I have to often reach the 80% too early or lauch the nova too early and not reach the 45% :/

My team is :
    GenoZ, AmiZ, Macuri, Snaip -> no such issue to kill the dragon, stay alive and make double pincer
    GatZ, AlikaZ -> I need to xp them, and farm the sand, so "une pierre, deux coups" :)
    All are with tomberry. And use augment in tomberry method is nice, because you can shorten any phase, but it's not a big deal if you don't reach the next phase :)

If one day, I have a second augment, I will try the nova method, but no more try with only one ^^ (I may made a mistake when I was trying, using bahl job2 level 75 instead of job 3 level 90, but I don't want to spoil ma stamina ;) )

yeezus likes this.