Thoughts on Collabs?

Discussion in 'Events' started by Mistwalker Minion, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Mistwalker Minion

Mistwalker Minion Terra Battle Community Manager

BATTLE CHAMPS COLLAB! Wooohooo!!!

Sorry errebody, just got a little excited.

But while we are on the subject, what have been your favorite events so far?

I'm including a BROAD definition of collab here.

Kino Takahashi monsters? 8-bit battles? Mobius Final Fantasy? LAST STORY?

Which was/is your favorite, and why?
    What's the most important part of a collab event to you?

Zeroelcapo and cjguitarman like this.
  2. andr3174

andr3174 Active Member

the last story by far, best dungeon design, best colab characters and best of all it bring me to play TLS :love:(would been good a comeback with new routes recoded calista and zael and recruitable npc's thougth)

3. Elelyon

Elelyon Active Member

+1 for TLS for story, dungeon mechanics. I liked the diverging story lines based on actions in game, but didn't like that some mechanics were very hard to figure out (e.g., the 50s drag rule).

Matthieu and cjguitarman like this.
  4. Hayden

Hayden Well-Known Member

Probably The Last Story hands down.
    Never played the Wii game but i honestly wanted to play it after i was done with the Collab' in TB. I liked the hidden mechanics to unlock Callista and Zael at the time when it first came out the difficulty was high and challenging had a lot of fun getting all the possible roads, too bad that we couldn't get Zael's friends (The NPCs)...

Most important part of a Collab' in my opinion is to try and make the players want to go check out the game featured in the Collab', something like that " Waw this Collab' was awesome , i should try the original game to see how it is!".

Anyway i'm pretty hyped for the Battle Champs Collab' because i'm a Akihito Yoshida fan. xD

Ashitaka, cjguitarman and Vicioustein like this.
  5. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    TLS great.
    Lucia, fine on the upper side of good.
    FF, pretty good almost great.

Kino/8-bit a living hell that needs a lot of quality of life updating. It's can or can't beat for most players. On top of that, the dungeon grind is too much. Please for the love of god just scale the dungeon and prizes together so it doesn't take 36 runs a day. 12 stamina for the last one is fine. The first two don't need changing.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. placas

placas Member

Mobius final fantasy, but the onion warrior could be recruitable:(.
    now i'm playing the game:happy:
    EDIT: the casual players are waiting the normal forms of shinen and mutoh

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  7. Ryden

Ryden Active Member

As I played The Last Story for Wii when it launched in 2012, I was quite hyped when it was available as a crossover. As I missed the first few events, I was glad that I was able to tackle it this time and it's just amazing. The level design, the familiar characters, the story and the different endings make it a really great level. From all the events I've experienced, it is probably my favourite!

I'd also love to experience Final Fantasy Mobius, as I missed it last year and in terms of storytelling, levels and endings it seems very close to the Last Story.

I'm not sure if it's a collab, but I also love Puzzle quest, since it's a completey different event and an innovative way to use the Terra Battle mechanics.

8. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

I agree with the general consensus - TLS was the best. Mobius was pretty good too. It seems with the Kings, Rift Worlders and TP 'endless quest' it's just about having the specific character needed for the event (traps/photon/gravity), but the best events the ones where people are challenged with multiple paths and progressive difficulty. Even Jade Dragon was more interesting than current content (though not really challenging). I'm hoping Battle Champs follows the pattern TLS and MFF.

cjguitarman and Sean Bond like this.
  9. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go against the tide and say that:

The Last Story was the best. Oh, everyone else said that too? Well...that's because it was, by far! Not only was it the most interesting from a gameplay perspective (10 battles, multiple branches, 2 good characters and a great otomo as a reward), but it also continued the story of one of my favorite Wii games. I'd love to see more stuff like this (Lost Odyssey crossover, for example). And as @LegendaryFrog said, TLS wasn't just about having the "perfect" team; it was about assembling your team properly, and using a wide variety of tactics/meeting goals.

With that being said, I'd kill for FF: Mobius to come back again, so I could recruit some of those sweet, sweet, Tonberries...

10. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    The Last Story was exceptional, but reaching the Perfect Fate ending without the help of the community was a little too hard (e.g. make Yurick defeat at least 4 enemies, or double pincer the Sentinel Beast with Zael leading the pincer and Calista as 2nd - both on job 3 - for the Visionary Fate), reason why I'm not voting it as the best TB collaboration event;

so far, I gladly appreciated the Puzzle Quests (that comes back pretty often, by the way) and Mobius FF, which is so far my favourite event.

(talking about other events) Lucia offered 3 different stages and is very fun to play since it requires different units and it usually lasts few weeks; the Jade Dragon, even if is an interesting stage to play, doesn't offer a good challenge nor good characters: Mobius gave us a nice unit (not a strong unit, I know, but still something of different from the ones that already exist), 3 VERY useful companions and some challenging boss fights, I hope to see it to come back one day :)

Kino events are fun to play, but 8-bits require more specific characters and are seen as a "pain" to farm from many players: since they are required to recode different units I expect them to rotate like Eidolons do starting in a little more than a week, making 2-4 constantly available. Together to the newly introduced Recoded stages, these are levels designed to be played many times, and is something I like. I loved The Last Story the very first times I run it, as I enjoyed "BLO", Lucia and the other events, but they never offered a real reason to be runned again after the first time :/

cjguitarman likes this.
  11. Tharos

Tharos The Source Explorer

Medals:
    As I never played any of the collab game, nor did I knew the guest artists, my answer is only driven by the pure TB aspect of those collabs.

Thoughts on collabs, from favorite to most hated:
    • The Last Story: By far everyone's favorite: wonderful character design, great NPCs, mid-range capturable characters (not so good, but they look so great!), long dungeon, fun mechanics (for the most part), challenging (when it first appear) but not too difficult, fantastic Otomos on the second run. The only downside was the need to datamine to understand the various endings conditions.
    • Mobius: Fun but forgettable. To be honnest I forgot most of it a few months after. I only remember I was having fun playing it, I remember a few floors (Tonberry kill all, mog escaping), I remember a few rewards (the otomos, especially the Chocobo Mog one), but forgot everything else about the event. What were the final boss? What does the hero looked like? Oh, that useless Echo was a character from this event?..
    • Kino: Not really fun, and waaaaay too boring slow too grind (seriously? 8 stamina for 200 items at best?). But at least the rewards were nice in the trading post, and you have a lot of team composition variety.
    • Puzzle Quest: Although I played a lot of match-3 games, I never really understood the TB version of it, and how to score well. As the rewards are not worth the stamina cost for me, I never did the required effort to play it more than 3 times. So middle of the list because I have no real thought about it.
    • 8-bit post-update: Same as Kino, with more downsides: those new traps require way too much specific characters/otomos, thus making the whole event much more borin/less fun/slower. Kino was near the line, but on the "rater fun" side. 8-bit is near the same line, but in the "chore" side.
    • 8-bit pre-update: LOL! No need to explain, I'm 100% certain those events were a (bad) joke.
    • Mustache cup: (isn't it a collab? A Sakaguchi collab): the only reason it's last on my list is because I barely played a few games without understanding the mechanics, and I don't like pvp. But it sounded fun for people involved with pvp and facial hair.

12. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    The Last Story was perfect in terms of challenge and progression. I was hoping future chapters would follow that trend somewhat, but TLS really hasn't been imitated since and remains uniquely great. The Mobius FF collab is the closest we've gotten to TLS, but I feel Echo's integration into the dungeon's design was executed rather weakly. Otherwise, both are probably the best-designed dungeons in the entire game. A bonus is that each dungeon features unique 'good' music, something I can really appreciate.

The Kinos and 8-Bit bosses aren't anything special - If these are supposed to be the replacement for the "Endless Dungeon" I was hoping for then I'm very disappointed. Farming them is like SBing to me - It's not fun, and it feels slower because sometimes, it's not brainless. One of the main issues is that Trading Post rewards cost too much Animata items. This is especially evident with the 8-Bit bosses since the new traps make farming very slow and tedious. I'm assuming Mistwalker was aware of this which is why Mizell O appeared twice in the Trading Post ('cause let's be serious, farming 8-Bit Orbling was a pain).

Puzzle Quest is the only collab left to talk about, and it's cool I guess. I'd much prefer if it just stayed in the Arena instead of being a limited time event, especially since Glassy and Golden Minions can now just be farmed off Shin'en Hard mode.

cjguitarman and Vicioustein like this.
  13. Quartzel

Quartzel Active Member

"The Last Story" is pretty much what I also want the Story Chapters to become at some point.
    Branching stages in some path, with more challenge and rewards.

It's so far the best kind of content the game has delivered.

Although the challenge is pretty much a joke now with companions, Z characters, level 90 and "tap" abilities.

cjguitarman likes this.
  14. Christian

Christian Active Member

TLS.....story great, design character is awesome, theme song is beautiful, and the challenge of course.

15. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

I am in the minority but Final Fantasy Mobius was my favorite just for the music alone. The fact that you gave a Mog Otomo to mages ... really helped my progress and enabled my grinding of Chaos to be quick and enjoyable. TLS was not fun for me the first time around but the second time it was better as you could get the otomo and I had higher level chars which brought the difficult down to my more casual level.

People want challenge but not Kino 8 Bit 'what you don't the right character' challenge. TLS was probably the best of the collabs but as others have mentioned data mining was needed to know what the hell to do. So in future collabs drop better hints or outright say what we should do. (Final fantasy collab had better hints if I remember correctly...) Spending 40 stamina on mission to guess what you have to do right, sucks.

And please for the Love of Hiso, allow us to someday do Coop in collabs. It will help new players and increase community participation more.

16. Guaparrón

Guaparrón Active Member

I don't even know how to data mine, but it was part of the event IMO.

MW knew there were people capable of doing it.

It was a way to make this community bigger if you think about it.

17. Aron

Aron New Member

Oh, irony. I started playing Battle Champs two weeks ago just because Terra Battle has become, imho, a monotonous chore, so I started searching for a different game. LOVING BC so far.
    Glad to see a collab, tho - but I'm definitely more excited about the Terra Battle content that's going to get added to BC than vice-versa.
    If anyone else is playing, my ID is 2391930 .

18. Heallus

Heallus New Member

TLS, simply because of the character design, Kimihiko Fujisaka, same as my reason for playing TB, he's the character designer for Drag-on-Dragoon series!! Caim!! Angelus!! There's no way for me to not playing it!! ( though i actually stop playing it for one year and actually lost my first account which actually have better pull than my current acc)

Make it simple, i hate grinding for thousands of animata items In any Kino and 8-bit's events. I like the art and battle setup but it become boring when it comes to grinding and i only manage to do it with my only recoded Bahamut^, and finally get Samatha and Amina to be recoded these few days. I have to finish each play with more than 10mins to get 200 items, and there are thousands and thousands of requirement for trading post items. These event really makes me feel like wanna quit the game again.....

19. Mistwalker Minion

Mistwalker Minion Terra Battle Community Manager

Thanks for all the feedback y'all!

20. cjguitarman

cjguitarman Active Member

My favorites first, least favorites last:
    • The Last Story (the best content in TB! The best!)
      • Best story in all of TB. The way the story changed with the branching paths was very interesting.
      • Excellent character and NPC design: art, skills, story, everything.
      • Reward characters were great (but not overpowered), with great art and unique skills.
      • Challenging at time of release, but did not require one or two specific characters (a flaw with 8-bits, Dragon Kings).
      • Otomo rewards on separate path gave a reason to run it again.
      • Great unique music.
      • Would be amazing for it to return with the chance to recruit some of the other NPCs (Seyrenne, Miriana, Yurick, Lowell)
    • Final Fantasy Mobius (great - please bring it back!)
      • Branching paths is neat, though story wasn't very developed.
      • Great unique music.
      • Great reward otomos. Echo wasn't super strong, but offered some interesting utility.
      • Challenging boss, but still multiple ways to be successful.
    • Puzzle Quest (pretty good)
      • Interesting gameplay that is different from anything else in TB.
      • Pre-selected team means anyone can run it, even brand new players without strong characters.
      • Useful rewards.
    • Kinos (pretty bad)
      • Feels "required" since they are used to recode certain characters.
      • Repeated grinding is so tedious
    • 8-Bits (awful)
      • Biggest flaw: requires one or two specific characters to clear consistently (because of traps).
      • Feels "required" since they are used to recode certain characters.
      • Repeated grinding is so tedious.