Ver.5.5.0 The Final Update

Discussion in 'General' started by KRIS, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Tharos

Tharos The Source Explorer

Medals:
    Game officially closed for me, pop up saying that I cannot connect and should forget about TB and all future MW games

2. JCH77

JCH77 Member

Idem for me (France). Never twice the same mistake, bye bye Mistwalker.

3. Sentenza

Sentenza Member

The app is still working for me...i am in France but i downloaded the 5.5.0 from Apk and put "America" as origin country when the game asked me...

4. Reis

Reis New Member

Well, I guess Mistwalker did give European player a chance to stay in the game by pretending that you do not live in Europe.
    I think that the best they can do since they obviously do not wish to stay in Europe whether its government policy problem or something else.

5. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    The best part is where it says "Please uninstall this app.", that piece of shit is taunting me.

Welp, no regrets for choosing "Other Countries", it was time for me to stop this endless farm, I'm just a bit sad I won't be able to use it anymore for doing guides and such, as there's still a chance I'll keep supporting the Terra franchise in the future, even if my whole body and half of my head yells NO.

I'll keep sticking around for now, clearing ads on the forum then I'll see if it will be the time for me to start using my old alt, as Sentenza confirmed that is still able to play.

Sentenza likes this.
  6. Krayzel

Krayzel Member

Same as Sentenza here, living in France and the game still works as I chose Japan when they asked!

Sentenza likes this.
  7. Tharos

Tharos The Source Explorer

Medals:
    Having studied MW development habbits during the past 4 years, I was 95% sure it would be this way: ask the players to do it instead of you.
    But I wanted to be fair and give them a last chance, and chose france. On the same time, I barely touched the new content: just unlocked Sarah with no SB, only doing chapter 39 without starting chapter 40, and more important: not helping MW by starting the video ads.
    I wanted to wait for november, and the 5% chance I could go on...

Now, a few last words, even if I'm sure nobody insode MW will see them:

Fuck you MW ! Really, fuck you MW for treating the hundreds active players (barely a few thousands) like that. It's not like having 4k active players instead of the maybe 2k now would change anything for your small server hosted by google.
    You'll never see me again on any game you make, no matter the device, game or "service countries". With no regret. No way I'll let you decide for me who deserves you game and who don't, based on nothing. In a few ending weeks, you ruined all the trust built over the years.

To all other, thank you for the amazing 4 years here, the endless hours of gameplay (and even more digging into the data) and chatting here.
    Have fun

Ael, yamo, BlackSama and 2 others like this.
  8. haloo

haloo Member

I don't get why many of old players treating with this so serious with an "angry" kind behavior like this. Maybe they just got hard on financial because of a failure project (TB2) and decide to save some money from maintain a server (and kindly enough to ask players to choose if they want to continous or not). It's you who decide to press the option while 95% sure it will delete the account then go on with that 5% (for me it's 100% cause they offical announce this before). You may see it's a kind of disrespect but I just think they're fair enough to handle the ending of the game.

9. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    Terra Battle (1) wasn't conceived to be a huge hit for several years and its closure was just matter of time, still the amount of attentions it got from the community led Mistwalker to make Terra Battle a franchise, planning to release multiple other games in the years to come.
    Unfortunately things didn't go well with Terra Battle 2: the idea behind it was nice, but the bugged client offered an experience so poor they had no choice to shut it down (the NA version first and the JP one later, player data has always been divided). as you said, shit happens. Players were pissed for this, but that game couldn't just be saved, is really a shame. I think people are still very sad but cool with their decision.

At the moment, Mistwalker has 2 games by their hands, Terra Battle and the upcoming Terra Wars (whose gameplay didn't caught the attentions of many people among the fanbase, who helped and supported Mistwalker through the last years) and keeping the community together should be a priority for them, still they closed the doors to the face of half of the fanbase (if not most, I don't know how many active players there are in America/Asia and how many in Europe) with no explanations given, nor with a public notice nor anything from the support (the news even invited the players from outside of the "supported regions" to contact the support about the upcoming shutdown).

They didn't close the doors of the game to everyone, they just deactivated the accounts of many long-time loyal fans, that's why we (or, at least, I) are angry at the behaviour Mistwalker kept. TB1 player data is (most likely) kept all in the same server, and lying about the Country we are from (violating this way the ToS) is the only way to keep our account. We wouldn't have this reaction if Mistwalker came up with something like "we're just closing the multiplayer servers for everybody", or "we're closing Terra Battle definitively, thank you all for playing" or even "because of the EU reactions to gacha (the first dumb excuse I can think) we, as a small company, decided to discontinue the service for anyone living there".

Terra Battle is a great game, with incredible arts, music and gameplay but is without any doubt not the best game that ever existed. Still, the community loved it and did their best to both support the developers and help the other players to enjoy this great game, and although they definitively don't owe us anything, we (I) feel betrayed from being kicked from the game this way.

haloo and JCH77 like this.
  10. tobsy

tobsy Well-Known Member

Definitely sad to see the European base get the boot. Seems like most active members here are in Europe. MW definitely didn't handle this well, and I don't think they can recover from this downhill projectory..

BlackSama and JCH77 like this.
  11. kuhaku

kuhaku Member

The whole EU server closure is honestly a PR disaster fitting right into Mistwalker's incompetence at handling both TB1 and TB2. As others have already said, be honest about saving server costs, that you're pulling your tail because of EU laws or, you know, maybe even hold one final damn Hiso Bar to personally share some heavy-hearted thoughts about this and shed some false tears about being so-sorry and thankful for all the support. It's funny that they literally bowed on camera for underwhelming people with TB2, but that there's zilch investment into their corporate future for pulling the rug under half of what's left of your install base. I'm with Tharos and Silver that it's hard to top all that with MW having the gall to sign all that with a cold "Please uninstall the game now, okay."

The oddest part however, I feel, is how it's awfully ambigous for the rest of the "supported countries" what's even the loss here. While I originally would not have expected TB1 to live to see 2019, I suppose with the way they want to handle it for now the total shutdown might not be as immediate as I expected. And reaping in some easy money from video views (kinda hilarious how late they realized this is a thing) might be a final testing-ground to see if it warrants the life-support costs for a few more months. Given that they stripped the game of some features, ended update-support and half-assed some final story chapters for a fake "ending", what's left of TB1 is pretty much a pseudo-"offline version" a lot of players kind of ask for on a mobile game's death, allowing more emotionally invested players to have some closure before the lights go out indefinitely. Was it really impossible to allow EU players the same thing instead of dangling this carrot above their heads? Would it have been better to shut down everything everywhere or at least tell everyone else that they're only granted X weeks more then Europe? Who knows. But for a company as small and new to the mobile market as MW, that "Who knows." is awfully damaging compared to a "Tell em.".

As for the future outlook, I feel like I already rambled a bit briefly Terra Wars being an, in my opinion, awful backup plan for MW. All ill feelings about TB1 and TB2 aside, the whole project feels massively misdirected (maybe not so ironically, given TB1&2...) with the honestly pretty sweet and original clay figurines being wasted on an in motion awfully animated looking game with gameplay that died out in the age of flash-animation for good reasons. I weep for the guys doing all those hand-crafted assets and wasting costly resources, only for MW obviously not knowing what to do with it. Even if precisely the last part rings a massive bell. Or two. Or three.

Anyways. Personally I can still login for now (because of course I'm living in Japan and absolutely not in Europe, why thank you for asking me Mistwalker, why would I lie about that, really now), but as rambled above I've long lost seeing any value to that and moved on. So to finish on some nice words, I'll give some quick thanks to Tharos in particular for all his time invested in the patch updates that I oftentimes checked at work on phone and the rest of the community for sharing their knowledge and advise here.

JCH77 likes this.
  12. EASY26

EASY26 Active Member

But we will not forget you Tharos. Thx 4 everything and thx 2 all players / forum members. It was a great time. Bye all.

freelame likes this.
  13. haloo

haloo Member

On the bright side, I think we still have more X weeks to continuous playing the game. As a comeback player, I was really happy to see an over 4 years game still open with a lot of new contents (they announce new element moon and solar when I came back). Many games I want to comeback playing which come around the same time with TB such as Blood masque, Guardian cross ... was long dead before and as I find they just announced the closing, refund some money used after the announcement then that, the game is just dead whether players complained or not (and these game are actually from big company Square enix).
    With TB I was loosing motivation of playing since they closed TB2 but not for now, I have intent to reach the rainbow road, finish the Ultimate Five, defeat Selene eidolon, finish the story from the beginning since I've never read the story line before... and a lot more.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  14. BlackSama

BlackSama Active Member

Still works for me I picked 'America'. I live in Colombia/South America. I doubt they will leave us for long, either they get us is by IP location or they kill the game altogether, nobody with his mind intact is going to charge any money into this so the days of TB1 are numbered.

15. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

It's not WHAT they did but HOW they did it that angers people. Let's have a brief review of how they handled this:

- Aug.24th in-game announcement about the discontinuation of service in Europe was made on the SAME day that they pulled the game from Google Play/App store. Anyone who didn't have the up-to-date version of the app or those who had previously uninstalled but kept their ID/pass to revisit their account could no longer update/reinstall to continue playing(without resorting to side-loading) on this date and they were given no warning whatsoever. Keeping in mind that there was a whole 2 months until the actual Oct.31 shutdown.

- They released the final update which includes the game ending on Oct.10th, yet Europe would be unable to get this update to play without downloading the APK somewhere, despite having a few more weeks until the shutdown. Why do this? Why not let European players at least have the chance to play through the ending before the shutdown? I get that they probably wanted to reduce as much of the resources used by Europe that they could in preparation for the shutdown, but this kind of timing is just cruel and cold.

And you're wrong that MW gave European players a way to keep playing. Sure you could lie about your country to keep playing, but they also warned against doing this as it would be breaking TOS. They obviously tried to discourage people from doing this, so they were not allowing you to choose for your own benefit. Rather they were too lazy to write the code to identify which users were not in a service country so they made a way for players to self identify to make their job easier. Even if you lied about your country just so you could continue playing, the whole thing is still a big slap in the face to the European playerbase.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    JCH77 likes this.
  16. Reis

Reis New Member

I understand that many European players are mad because they feel they have been abandoned by MW. But I am just glad they are still running the game. While European players can still stay by choosing to reside on other region. Still, there is no excuse for how MW treated EU players.

17. creenson8

creenson8 New Member

The game is still work for European even if they had chosen the right region 1 month ago.So it means MW want European to chosen their nationality once again and to be a "right" man in the world?ahha..ha,it's too rediculous.o_O

18. Liveless

Liveless New Member

When you realize that this game, by fundamental design, is entirely centered around grinding (and chain grinding--do this long stretch of extremely repetitive work over here to make this other grind take less time so that you can then make this OTHER grind take less time), and people invested hundreds upon hundreds of hours into their accounts only to be given a middle finger with next to no way to preserve their time investments, it makes complete sense as to why many people are done supporting Mistwalker.

To be fair, Silicon Studio screwed them over so bad during their sudden restructuring and left this franchise in the dust. No way to recuperate, essentially. TB2's shutdown hurt the franchise and left a gaping void in their financial investment that they were hoping to profit from with expansion. Combine that with the new EU end user privacy laws, and you have a recipe for disaster. They were (and are) a big part of this overall problem.

Despite their promises for an official console version (Terra World) and much of the other things they were set to deliver with the whole "Download Starter" campaign, they did a good job with the final update.

19. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

I'd go further to say that gacha games, by fundamental design, will almost always leave users with bad investments and resentment. The entire business model behind gacha games is also crooked, designed to pray on gamers with addictive personalities to succeed. So it's better to approach these games expecting not to get anything back at the end if you're going to waste the time and money on it. What really disappoints me about MW is really the lack of consideration with regards to the shutdown(especially TB2's). Abruptly ending service with practically no warning and offering no consolation except for the obligatory "thanks for everything" is never going to win you any favours, so I don't get how they keep doing this and expect to maintain a playerbase.

Silicon Studio screwed MW over, but not by a sudden restructuring. Their restructuring is a direct result of their failure with TB2, not the other way around. Coupled with the mobile market slowing down, it was an obvious decision by a smaller company after such a big failure. We don't know the exactly how much responsibility MW has in the TB2 catastrophe, but we can be sure they made some very bad decisions(not including the one to work with SS). Mobile games are also usually low investment and high return projects; minimal effort put into development while trying to wring the most money out of players, but these kinds of games don't last and are only good for the short term. If MW goes down because of the TB series failures then I would pin it on them counting the gacha mobage format for revenue.

claude likes this.
  20. Liveless

Liveless New Member

Sakaguchi-san was in this same rut all the way back in 1987 where his company (Squaresoft) was on the brink of collapse and they only had the resources/time to make one final game to save them. Therefore, it would seem as though Terra Wars is telling the story of the "Final" Fantasy all over again. Doubtful it would succeed, but it would be pretty cool to see them make some sort of a comeback. He has stated on many occasions that they simply cannot compete with companies that push out AAA titles on modern consoles like they used to because they have barely 15 employees--that was part of their motivation to switch to mobile in addition to the fact he was spending so much of his time on management and not the creative side like he used to. So who knows? Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018