Violet & Scarlet: Why?

Discussion in 'Rants & Accomplishments' started by Animus716, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Animus716

Animus716 Member

I'll start by saying, I have them both, and I like them both well enough as individuals. But the introduction of these two characters puzzles me. As far as I can tell the only truly unique thing they bring to the table is to deepen the pool of Celestial race characters, and therefore give further use to the Celestial job/recode items floating throughout the game.

Violet(the most redundent adition IMO) is yet another graviton mage. There are already more powerful graviton options in Mogha and Mutoh, not to mention the hybrids Pyrna, Andelucia, AND the still fairly new adition of Lacuma. I more then welcome new characters, I just feel that the graviton element is heavily stacked at the moment, and I feel like they could have been a bit more creative with Violet. Especially considering her complete lack of secondary utility.(ie. CT, Taps, etc.)

Now Scarlet, first why are Scarlet and Senala both fire-combo characters? Scarlet has an extremely poor level of MATK, so as far as I'm concerned her fire skills are wasted slots. And then Senala, with the adition of Violet and Lacuma why is she not a pure photon mage? Heck even photon and ice would have been a little more interesting I think... Anyway going back to Scarlet, instead of making her a physical-sword I would much rather see 54B2 get a MUCH needed recode. With Invincible and Seiryu getting theirs I think soon would be a good time to update him. Scarlet could have been something more interesting is all, and like Violet also completely lacks utility.

To wrap up, I guess I'm hoping for a little more photon, and maybe some ice? And DEFINATELY want to see that 54B2 facelift.

End rant

LegendaryFrog likes this.
  2. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

I've been asking this myself. Violet is definitely redundant; I used to want her, and now that I have Shin'en and Peyrna, I don't even want her that much. I didn't want Scarlet, and of course got her. Scarlet's main strength (outside of high stats) is having off-pincer magic, but it's not AoE, and her MAtk is low enough that outside of her artificially boosted fire skills (they have higher attack power than they should), she has no real magic utility. The one thing they have which makes them interesting is their OIIIs, which give them Impairs without wasting a skill slot (which may be irrelevant since it requires a companion slot).

Personally, I think they came out begging for a recode, like Mizell and Senala. A lambda version of Scarlet and Violet would be incredibly strong (assuming MW doesn't mess them up with stupid skills or bad stats), and like Senala and Mizell, would make it clear that the recode is the intended route to go (as opposed to using non-recode Mizell or Senala). A recoded Scarlet with improved MAtak and more fire skills (and maybe one more good sword skill) would be an excellent physical attacker (not needing to rely on Damage x1.5 like the Trinity), and a recoded Violet could be either competition with Mutoh OR go the complete opposite route, and have all photon skills (so she'd be half photon/half graviton).

Honestly, even if Nazuna is photon, it seems like the idea is to make photon relatively hard to get, since the two "end" bosses (IDK for the Dragon Kings and Mutoh for the Riftworlders) are weak against it.

3. LegendaryFrog

LegendaryFrog Well-Known Member

You can ask this same question for Oklittot (LOL bland), Lacuma^ (do you really need money bags at that point?), Eileen^ (why two sleep skills?), Burbaba^ (ooooh, an AOE counter skill) and so on.

I don't want to say MW is just throwing in random characters to dilute the pools because I have no proof, so I'll just say they're allegedly throwing in random characters to dilute the pool.

White Mage likes this.
  4. Aleksandair

Aleksandair Member

About Scarlet's low MATK and considering the crazy multipliers on her fire skills, how good would she be with 1 or 2 MATK tap boost ?

5. Guaparrón

Guaparrón Active Member

Wasn't Violet a slighly weaker version of Mutoh?

Anyway, a recoded version of Scarlet with some Bahl Λ like skills (Cross cleave, Cross (All) and Sword of Valor, 3 rows) would be great. Or maybe just higher Matk and a few more fire skills with a bit more of AoE.

Sean Bond likes this.
  6. Silver Mitsuki

Silver Mitsuki The Italian Mod Staff Member

Medals:
    So, first of all I (obviously) agree on the lack of photon characters, but I suppose this is intentional, just to make challenges like Mutoh's harder to accomplish, and more photon units will come later.

Back in the days, I wasn't impressed by Invincible's skillset nor by its stats, and 54B2 isn't better in terms of utility, but I find Violet and Scarlet 2 good units, with a stackable (M)ATK/(M)DEF buff, an Impair Companion (no level requirement), and several AoE;

Scarlet can deal both physical and magical damage, has a more than decent ATK parameter and can fit in different teams (although yes, you probably won't use her in many "high level" stages), while Violet is currently one of the strongest mages of the game, with Anti-Photon Capsule/Shield, and Pincer Row/Column spells.

The problem here is seeing them from a "collectionist" perspective: not everybody owns every unit of the game, since this is not how TB is meant to be played, and these 2 can actually offer something a little different from the usual Trinity+Palpa/Gatz, or Peyrna+Mizell.

Obviously, the Phys/Magical Tapper+DPS combo is the best way to go, this is how (unfortunately) TB was built: on Leviathan RECODED has more sense to bring a powerful Fire Mage than a strong physical unit which is also capable to deal some fire damage, as on The Resplendent Dragon King quest the more skilled players will bring their L100 Mutoh + L70 Regenercell (plus their lovely Panda companion) instead of a 0L (and hard to be lucked up) OP graviton mage, but again, the key here is that MW is bringing players more units.

From a different point of view, Scarlet (as tappers like Peyrna) can fit in different teams, and her Omicron (AVG Luck + 5) can help to Luck up some units (I'm currently doing L100 runs with a low Luck Peyrna+Panda, and an high Luck Mizell, thanks to my Senala's AVG Luck+10 :happy:), but players capable to L100 a unit like this one can probably afford to L100 a couple of lambdas like Bahl and Lewto, or, better, Senala.

The only mistake MW might have done here is giving to their Omicron the effect of increasing the team's luck only by 5 points, instead of 10+: for two such rare and hard to Luck-up units an higher bonus would had more sense.

Yeah, lately MW has added some weird units to the PoT pool, but I actually like them. As I said before, don't look these adds from a long-time player perspective.

As far as I remember, Bahl's Counterattack was really powerful, and a novice can actually enjoy his/her Burbaba Λ, same for Okklitot, which is a more than decent S (of course, not if compared to a recode, yet he requires 4 millions of EXP to reach lv90 on one job, versus Raprow Λ's ~7.77M). No excuses for Eileen Λ, she lacks of a stackable Control Time, is just a bad character <.< (and I still didn't get how this deep sleep should work).

Although, as you all, I'd loved to see something different, like a sword user with Column AoE (like Zael), or a Border spell like Leonidas' and Mutoh's, but I guess we just have to deal with Scarlet's and Violet's common skillset...

Biotar and Sean Bond like this.
  7. Animus716

Animus716 Member

I sure hope Nazuna is photon... @Sean Bond I'd say your end-game theory holds water... just comes off as odd since they never really came out and explained anything. Photon and graviton were introduced as equals I mean.

But along with IDK and Mutoh, chapter 37 leans towards your theory also.

Lol, I really do want that 54B2 recode though... I really WANT to like him. And it'd be nice to have an effective physical character that didn't rely on the 1.5x boost. Maybe further expansion on his evasion techniques for increased utility. Something like ZZ stats with the utility of Olber^?

And if not 54B2.... then GUGBA!!! (>=^_^=)>

Sean Bond likes this.
  8. munk

munk Member

Violet is extremely powerful, if I remember well she's the best mage for 2nd double-pincers thank to her x1.1mag self buff.

Scarlet? Not so much. At least she has nice otomos.
    I agree with Silver Mitsuki that not having a recode and hence not being relatively easy to max LUCK is a big inconvenient.
    Let's hope MW plans to make a recoded version for all these characters.

As Animus716 and Guaparrón said, a 54B2 Λ and a Scarlet Λ would be nice.
    I really like Bahl Λ and S'naip Λ but they're far too powerful and easy to get, there is no point in using other physical units in the current situation.
    This x1.5att skill wasn't a good idea eventually, it completely broke the power balance.
    I'm sure the game would greatly improve if people didn't feel compelled to pick the same characters again and again.

Speaking of 54B2, Terra needs more Oxsecian units.
    And I want a 36AIS Λ powerful enough to compete with the Amis Λ.

9. Sean Bond

I like to use this chart to compare units, since while it's not as comprehensive as derposed's, it's quick and dirty:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37743076/TB_DPS_Rank.pdf

Based on that chart, Violet is best on a 2nd set of double pincers, and Scarlet is very good on first pincer (and worse each successive pincer, since she has no attack modifiers). The point is that Violet doesn't fill a new need, though, since Mogah and obviously Mutoh are very good, and from a pure magic DPS perspective, so are Mizell^ and Senala^.

A recode of 36AIS would certainly be good (although I'm sick of healers, despite there being only a few), and 54B2 also needs a recode.

But let's do Scarlet first, since I actually have (and like) her! :D

ElCorintio likes this.
  10. Guaparrón

Guaparrón Active Member

Well, I'm not sure because I haven't tested it and I didn't see anything on the wikia either, but regular Sleep status is broken when a sleeping enemy is pincered (AoE damage doesn't break it). Maybe Deep sleep works like paralysis or maybe there are chaces of not wake the enemy up.

11. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Deep sleep isn't removed in pincer damage correct.

12. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    Both are good if you can obtain their O III since it gives you a level 1 Impair which is great on some Eidolons. Besides that, there's nothing special.

13. TrueShadow

TrueShadow Well-Known Member

Scarlet with all her magic equipped actually outdamages regular Daiana in fire damage, if you care.

Ugh, I agree. I'm sick that whenever a new physical character comes out, the first arguments are almost always "Not Trinity? Trash". I'm sure it's been said at least once for Clara^ and Grace^.

I would like them to be nerfed, but on the other hand Shin-en and PDK are next to impossible without them. (PDK with only one tapper anyway)

14. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

After running VH 100+ times it's been drilled into my head that Senala's Scarlet Kingdom is associated with fire, so if she had ice then she'd be a traitor XD

Then reduce to 1.2 like Suoh... though I think a lot of people would still be very angry since we're all overly dependent on trinity. Good thing I already maxed Shin'en because I don't have any fancy impair characters(Shin'en is the first) or probably anything else capable of killing him.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  15. Jeba

Jeba Well-Known Member

We obviously needed more chars wearing shades:troll:

Sean Bond likes this.
  16. Sean Bond

MW knows that, which is why Scarlet and Violet have those stupid visors in J3!

17. Animus716

Animus716 Member

"It's over 9,000!!!!!":troll:

xanatoss and Sean Bond like this.
  18. Sean Bond

19. SetsunaF

SetsunaF Active Member

shin'en yes.

PDK is definitely possible. I use the free 100L team with 6 tonberries, kills PDK everytime and farmed Axion Zs to do RDK.

20. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

I totally believe it is to dilute the pool. I hope they make a ^ version someday at least so we can 100 Luck them.