Why are y'all saying otomo and/or buddies??

Discussion in 'General' started by Saoiray, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Saoiray

Saoiray Member

As the thread title states, why are so many of you calling Companions by the term Otomo or Buddies? I can understand that a Japanese word for companion is Otomo, but that doesn't negate the fact that the game has translated it as Companions for its English version of the game. Not sure why some of you are saying buddies, as that has absolutely nothing to do with the game. Are you choosing to use separate terms because you want to try to be Japanese, doing it to confuse others, or why the heck can't you just use the term that the game uses...Companions?

2. White Mage

White Mage Well-Known Member

Medals:
    When our good dataminer Tharos gave us some datamined info on Otomos/Companions, they were (I suppose) called Buddies. Either way, the three terms are interchangeable. Not a big deal.
    Next!

3. Saoiray

Saoiray Member

I suppose, just drives me nuts when people decide to use so many different terms to define something. Especially makes it harder when trying to translate to a different language or when new players are reading guides.

4. White Mage

Medals:
    People can always ask for a clarification :) Over time, those that frequent the forum will get used to using those different terms.

Clever Sleazoid likes this.
  5. MikeS

MikeS Active Member

6. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

I call them otomo because they were first called buddies and I didn't like that term so I went with otomo, kinda catchy

vortax likes this.
  7. vortax

vortax Well-Known Member

I call them Otomo cause I like anime and I always watch them in Japanese subbed, never dubbed.

So, I'm very familiar with Japanese terms like Otomo, Namaka, Tsundere.... In conclusion, I use this term cause I like it more than the others. It's not like I need to justify myself about it anyway...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Sothe likes this.
  8. Saoiray

Saoiray Member

Meh, guess it varies. I have people that I still talk to in Japan and they mention how they get annoyed with Americans when they decide to try to implement language , especially since it's usually done incorrectly. Also figured I might have been dealing with so-called "weaboos"

Big thing to point out is that people aren't using the Japanese terms for characters, enemies, chapters, or anything else...is only for Companions.

With that said, is clear the some people saw it and decided to parrot one person's post without actually paying attention themselves. Now everybody is using random terminology to refer to the same thing. Guess it is what it is...

9. BlackSama

BlackSama Active Member

The same reason that I called (and still call) Nintendo 64, with his reveal name: Ultra 64. Why does it matters anyway?

10. Waifu

Waifu Active Member

Nakama* HAHAHA

@OP
    Even Mistwalker Minion used OTOMO in his posts lol.

Attached Files:

vortax and Saoiray like this.
  11. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Ruh-roh!

If some people in Japan are annoyed then we'd better stop right away! Or else they won't be otomo with us...

rcox and Waifu like this.
  12. Saoiray

Saoiray Member

Yeah, this is one of the things I was saying when I mentioned how people can't even use the terms properly. They use the terms without knowing its real meaning, don't spell it correctly, butcher the words when they pronounce it, etc.

13. Waifu

Waifu Active Member

I'm pretty sure vortax knows the meaning and just made a typo. It's not impossible to make a typo of a foreign word afterall.

vortax likes this.
  14. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

Companions is a longer word to type, which is why I use Otomo/buddy.
    Otomo was used by Mistwalker when they first released it to the public on YouTube but when the patch went live it was changed to companions.

It's obvious that the terms are used interchangeably so whining about it seems a bit silly, unless of course you really were confused for more than 60secs, in which case point taken.

White Mage likes this.
  15. Saoiray

Saoiray Member

Well, was quite confused for a long time when I saw somebody asking about otomos. It wasn't until I happened to see people talk in-depth that I was able to figure it out. So yea, it took me much longer than 60 seconds to know what somebody was talking about when they asked how to get otomos, for example.

Other than that, have to understand I'm not whining about it. Was a question as to why people were using 3+ terms for something, especially since is something that was newly released. Guess you can say I'm the type that tries to understand people. Unfortunately I forgot that in most cases people say or do things without realizing why they do it...they just do. Is why I said earlier, guess it is what it is.

16. Clever Sleazoid

Clever Sleazoid Well-Known Member

Medals:
    "Companions" is hard as fuck to type. So is "Otomo". Therefore they are "buddies".

rcox and Saoiray like this.
  17. vortax

vortax Well-Known Member

Yeah, you are right. Of course it's a typo, that's what happens when you type on an smartphone... XD

18. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Should I point out that Mistwalker Minion in chat before the update was using both otomo and buddy in chat before companion was known. The coding even refers to them as buddies. Otomo is close enough to both words when translated. I don't see a problem with using any of the words.

In the original pokemon games there were hidden values known in shorthand as DVs. Now they are known as IVs, but people in the community don't care if you use one over the other. In this case there's another language involved. In fact looking at the game itself, there's ... actually nevermind this point for companions. Mistwalker left the menus in English or Japanese for them haha, but there's still 6.5 languages in the game itself.

Shall I point out that all languages take words from another language and butcher them to fit their use? Please go look at a dictionary and check the root word for everything. This works in all languages. People getting upset from the misuse of a word is a not going to win you brownie points with anyone. Allow me to share cases for both sides misunderstanding.

[​IMG]
    Hemorrhoid *To be fair this could be an Azumanga reference*
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sure she didn't know what this means in English.
    [​IMG]
    I'm A Pervert - I hope that one is misused.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An entire TV special about doing honky. *Ok to be fair this was a Japanese word used wrong in English with a funny result*

tl;dr
    [​IMG]

ccwf, Todd, Matthieu and 3 others like this.
  19. Raijinili

Raijinili Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Topic has reached terminal point. Please await forced evacuation.

It was a name based on official sources, and we were discussing them long before. We were already used to calling it that. "Companion" didn't come out as a term until launch, and is more effort to type than "buddy" and "otomo". That's all.

People who you might think should know better also use it. This was used by Wikia (an official partner) as an example for their contest:
    [​IMG]
    (http://terrabattle.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:TheBlueRogue/Terra_Battle_Meme_Companion_Giveaway)

And people also mentioned Mistwalker Minion (MW's community manager) using it. I'd guess that they were internally calling it Otomo, and then some localization person decided how to translate it, and even they're still adjusting to the "official" localization.
    Tharos is not just "one person". He is the Untrustworthy Data Miner. See his mining helmet and his evil curly mustache.

20. White Mage

Medals:
    The last one is golden.
    [​IMG]

Person Man and Saoiray like this.