Yamamoto Puzzle Quest Notes: Guide WIP

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Thatsmapizza, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Thatsmapizza

Thatsmapizza Member

Hey everyone, I’ve been playing quite a bit of the new puzzle quest and it’s been pretty fun. I actually have to think about some of my moves in TB again. Anyways, I know some people might be having some trouble with this game mode, so here are some of my thoughts on the mode.

Logistics:

· The quest is 8 turns long

o After a few turns a boss monster appears.

§ For PQ1, the boss spawns after 5 turns. For PQ2, the boss spawns after 4 turns.​

§ You cannot pass through this monster and it’s mostly damaged by defeating a row/column of the same colored monster.​

· You have 6 preset characters with skills that activate 100 percent of the time

o Lunato: mega bow

o Lunaken: mega spear

o Peproe: mega sword

o Puprope: shadow

o Pupropu: thunder

o Palpa: fire, ice, control time + 2 chain (activation rate: 50%)​

· Your characters start in top right and bottom left corners and continue left, on the top row, and right, on the bottom row for every mission

· In Puzzle quest 1, there will be 4 different enemy colors.

· In Puzzle quest 2, there will be 8 different enemy colors.

· Items (EXP Boost, Coin Boost, Disarmer, and Time Extension) will occasionally spawn and if you kill them, you will get them

o You will have only one turn to kill these items as they will flee the following turn​

· All minion monsters have about 2500 HP

Pincering:

· When you pincer a row/column of 3 or more of the same color monster, you will receive 1 or more items depending on how big your chain was

o 3 or more: terra items or rings can drop

o 4 or more: tears can drop

o 5 or more: particles can drop (PQ2)

o 6 or more: ores (PQ2) and particles (PQ1) can drop​

· if you’re not careful in puzzle quest 2, you will sometimes fail to kill a chain of enemies

o try to always chain in the character with the advantageous circle of carnage weapon or magic

§ alternatively get all your mages, especially Palpa because she has fire and ice, into the pincer chain.​

Boss:

· After 5 turns (PQ1) or 4 turns (PQ2), the boss enemy will spawn two squares right and below the top left corner of the map

o He will flee after 4 turns and if you can defeat him, he has a chance to drop a glassy minion lambda, PQ1, or a golden minion lambda, PQ2.

o The boss has roughly 16000 (PQ1)/18000 (PQ2) HP and nearly 9999 defense and m defense​

§ The main way to damage him is by defeating rows of the same colored enemy while he is on the field​

· A chain of 3 = roughly 2000 damage

· A chain of 4 = roughly 3000 damage

· A chain of 5 = roughly 4500 damage

· A chain of 6 = roughly 6000 damage​

· The boss will use entwine (all) every turn he is on the map and then he will move.

o This will never kill your units, but it will move them

o The boss will never move to the far left or right columns. So these columns are good spots to set up your pincers

o Avoid making large chains too close to the boss because when he moves he can mess up those chains​

Strategy:

· Make sure you count how many of each color mob is on the screen. This will give you an idea of the type and number of chains you can make before the boss spawns

· Always move one of the characters from the top right group set up 2 to 4 chains in the far left corner column where the bottom left characters start. You can also do this vice versa, but note that will not be able to make a third chain because the boss spawn will mess that chain up.

o Try to get your largest chains on the 2 far left columns and get a column of three in the center column

o If there is only 1 or 2 of a certain enemy type, pincer those units so new different colored units will spawn

o Once the boss spawns, pincer all the columns you made.​

§ From here on the game becomes more luck and skill based

o Check the boss' HP after these chains a get an idea of how many more chains you need to make to beat him​

· Try to aim for making larger chains over multiple chains (IE go for column chains over row chains)

· If you aren’t able to kill the boss, use the Save/Load glitch to restart the map.

o Note the initial monster lay out will be different the first time you use this trick.​

Here’s an example of this strategy in action. Note: I did not make this video.

General Tips:

· If you have a time extension, use it. It will make setting up all your chains much easier.

· You can tell how many turns you have let until the boss flees by looking at counters on the mobs from the first floor. Once their counter reaches zero, the boss will flee and the quest will end

· If there is only 1 or 2 of a certain enemy type, pincer those units so new different colored units will spawn

I hope these notes helped and if you have any suggestions on how to make this better, feel free to tell me. I’ll be updating this post with photos in the coming days.

Also, thanks to everyone who's contributed so far!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Karlo, SmilyT1, oldriku and 1 other person like this.
  2. SmilyT1

SmilyT1 Member

Some more tips:
    1. I find Palpa dishes out way more dps than most of the other characters, so I always move around with her + sometimes activates +2 seconds for bonus.
    2. Destroy spare mobs that are either too far to combo or less than two which spawns more mobs with the equal amount you've destroyed, but with a chance to be a different color
    3. You start out the floor with all the mobs at turn 8. Pay attention to these numbers since as soon as it turns 0, the boss will flee and you'll be forced to 'mission complete' screen where save/load wouldn't help

Thatsmapizza likes this.
  3. Karlo

Karlo New Member

Indeed Palpa is dealing good dmg but since below chars do certain chain kill (double mage) its better to leave them be .. especialy as Palpas +2 sec doesnt allways activate. But, moving with Palpa and removing "extra" mobs gives you a chance an item will spawn :p.

Thatsmapizza likes this.
  4. pak

pak New Member

Does the s/l trick work for pq1 only? I did pq2 and 10+ s/l and the mm did my drop.

5. Haika

Haika New Member

Very comprehensive and informative guide! I found the damage numbers especially useful. Few notes:

In PQ1, the boss spawns after 5 moves instead of 4; this gives you more time to set up your pincers, but you will have to hurry more after the boss spawns to finish it off.

I believe the control time is 50% trigger

For PQ1, ores don't drop, so it would be a guaranteed particle instead. The wikia has a comprehensive list of who drops what.

16000 in PQ1

Might also add that the boss will never move to the left or right edge of the map, so those are safe places to set up big columns.

It's worth noting that you can do the same strategy in reverse (move one of the characters from the bottom left and make 3 or 4 chains in the far right corner). You can also set up columns on both left and right - the best play depends on how the enemies spawn. I've beaten PQ2 using all three types of approach.

For PQ2, sometimes the best first move is to pincer away a color with 2 or 3 enemies to spawn more blocks and complete a 5 or 6 set.

After the boss spawns, if you've already done a lot of work in the first pincer (6-6, 6-5-3 etc), it's a consideration just to finish the boss quickly with 3 and 4 chains.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Pims and Thatsmapizza like this.
  6. Thatsmapizza

Thatsmapizza Member

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Also, Haika, it should be noted that if you do try to set up a chain in the column 2 space left of the far right column, the boss will mess up that chain because he spawns two squares from the top of the map. Otherwise, the strategy will still work if you make two long chains in the far right.

7. Hayden

Hayden Well-Known Member

Here you go my guide to farm efficiently or safely PuzzleQuest I (Not doing PuzzleQuest II because not efficient imo) :

Karlo, Thatsmapizza and wrongnotes like this.
  8. SmilyT1

SmilyT1 Member

I still find PuzzleQuest II way more efficient
    EDIT: Though PuzzleQuest I is great for farming particles

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  9. pak

pak New Member

So.. i think S/L-ing for otomo drops doesn't work after the map is permanently set. i've been 0/12 for otomo drop

*Edit: i take that back just poor RNG got it on 16th kill. cheers

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  10. Thatsmapizza

Thatsmapizza Member

That's correct. If you S/L once, the drops and enemy set up are fixed. So, if you don't get the drop on the 1st try. you can S/L once to get only one reroll.

11. ehu

ehu Member

Hmmmmm I don't think so. I have tried many times and sometimes when otomo didn't drop then I just kept S/L-ing with different combos, and eventually it dropped. Though sometimes may be a good idea to wait a little longer then try again. So far all success.

12. Haika

Haika New Member

I can confirm this as well, on both PQ1 and PQ2.. in the worst case I had to S/L 6 times to get an otomo drop. It may be a placebo effect, but I also change my comboes every time to try to mix up the random seed.

13. Ael

Ael Well-Known Member

Why do you think PQII is more efficient ?

In term of otomo XP, with 40stamina you can have 2 glassy minion who provdide more XP than one golden minion.

In term of tears/particules, because you have less colours, it's easiest to have more of one colours in one line

For rings, I think it's better to go the hunting zone, mainly because you could also have green/white rings.

And I dont think there is a difference for boosters

Hayden likes this.
  14. Karlo

Karlo New Member

20 stamina PQ I is stress free guaranteed tears, particles and 60% minion for 10k no problem
    40 stamina PQ II can be stressfull, guaranteed ore, particles and 60% minion for 40k with loads of S/Ls

If there are no coin creeps for half stamina PQ I is quite efficient while PQ II incites nervous stress ..

15. Brewin1100

Brewin1100 New Member

Forgive me if I simply missed it, but there's one nuance of creating pincers that I didn't see mentioned in the main tutorial. I think it might be worth mentioning? Hopefully I can explain it simply enough.

Basically, when attacking the Boss, it isn't necessary to create pincers that contain ONLY one color. ANY continuous set of 3-or-more matching enemies WITHIN your pincer will produce an attack on the boss.

Thus, you can include unwanted enemies within a set if you want (for example: Orange-Green-Green-Green-Purple)...

Or include two different sets of three (i.e., Green-Green-Green-White-White-White)...

Or even include THE BOSS in a pincer along with your set of 3-or-more (i.e., Orange-BOSS-Green-Green-Green).

The only criteria to produce an attack on the boss are 1) there's a contigious set of 3-or-more enemies of a single color WITHIN the pincer and 2) you actually hit them hard enough to kill them. It's a small nuance but, I think, an important one, especially if the boss is situated in between the two characters you're going to use in to your pincer.

Thatsmapizza likes this.
  16. DD.

DD. New Member

To note: The Orichalcum Sword drops from Puzzle Quest I and the Glassy Minion drops from Puzzle Quest II.

17. ehu

ehu Member

you mean a bug? :troll:

18. DD.

DD. New Member

A bug? maybe a different version?

19. yeezus

yeezus Well-Known Member

That definitely shouldn't be happening. You might have a bug in your app.

20. DD.

DD. New Member

Yea Ehu, run an anti-virus on your tablet, unless you are saying the companions in TB are bugs..?