Yokozuna, Silicon Studio's software for Profiling Players

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lynx, Oct 30, 2017.

1. lynx

lynx Active Member

Today, I just learnt that Silicon Studio has created a software that can help game makers retain players and potentially boost profits.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...i-to-profile-each-player-and-keep-them-hooked

The dashboard of Silicon Studio’s Yokozuna software.
    [​IMG]

I however curious whether this software has been used on their own game, Terra Battle 2...

Honestly, I don't like the idea that drop rate/pull rate and difficulty will be automatically adapted to each player.
    Easier to win rare monster for players at risk of quitting? Would that also mean harder to win rare monster for players who play regularly? to prevent them from advancing too fast?
    IMO, this is the same as punishing serious/loyal players, and it's just unfair.

This reminds me of old news I've read about Candy Crush, that the game will increase game difficulty for players that identified as spenders, so those players would have reason to keep spending.

Umowoïs likes this.
  2. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

As long as they are only using the software to track and give incentives to the players at risk of leaving and are transparent about it, without screwing anything up for the rest of the players I don't see a problem with it. But there is a big problem with tailoring the game for each player with the aim of squeezing as much money out of them as possible, this seems like a loophole around the gacha laws that were devised to prevent companies from capitalizing on the addicting effects of gambling.

3. Oki

Oki Active Member

well, if they are doing such. I am sure we can use it against them as well. Just never give them any money. Play the game super hardcore for a bit. Stop (just login for the reward) for a while until they mistake you from leaving soon. Than jump right back at it.....unless the program is super smart to pick that up.

4. Estavali

Estavali Member

I think there is good reason to worry about this. Activision has apparently patented something that allows multiplayer games to, in a nutshell (if I get it correct) place players with low-tier gear and the like in situations that will stimulate the desire to pay to win. I think the following video will explain this better:

5. mudamuda

mudamuda Active Member

How can that be legal? That's very predatory. Giving incentives is fine, but basically preying on at-risk people to open their wallets is not. There's enough people with addictions out there that can easily bankrupt themselves with microtransactions. It's easy to say that people can just quit if that happens, but these kinds of software are basically grooming you to have addictive habits that make it hard to simple quit.

Terra-Em likes this.
  6. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

It is worrying for multitude of reasons, especially as the goal is to get you addicted to gambling err i mean gatcha. I think this software is still in development and will be an SDK that other developers can license to use. It is worrying. If I find out that TB2 uses it, I will most likely drop the game or ensure that I never spend anything on it again (I did spend on day1).

7. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

Especially if this pertains to CHILDREN. Of course in Japan they have few rights, but in Canada and many US states they do. I sue the hell out of SS if they enable that when age restrictions are set.