Your feelings towards the game since the introduction of buddies

Discussion in 'Rants & Accomplishments' started by FishInTheDark, Sep 16, 2015.

How do you feel about the game since buddies were introduced?

1. It has made the game much more interesting!

2. It's pretty much the same to me

3. I hate it. It was a negative addition to the game.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FishInTheDark

FishInTheDark Forum Event Manager Staff Member

Hey everyone. Just wanted to get a sense of everyone's feelings about the game since the introduction of buddies. Did they make the game more interesting? Do you hate that you'll never be able to 100% the game now? Or has nothing changed?

I personally hate that I'll never be able to 100% the game now and that I'd have to grind endlessly to level up even one buddy. This has been a strong enough feeling that I haven't played the game since the update.

2. White Mage

White Mage Well-Known Member

Medals:
    I am largely indifferent to buddies. Although them helping with SBing is pretty nice. Also, this is a free2play game. You will never be able to 100% it.

Vigilant Stag likes this.
  3. limitbereaker

limitbereaker Active Member

The feeling of not be able to 100% the game due to cot being expensive and the exclusive magazine buddies being random does bug me abit.
    But I just set my target to 100% cof For personal accomplishment. Already max lv the d and c buddies from cof even though they useless...
    But my concerns for the companion systems is it might make some characters useless now and no longer unique.
    For example unique characters with certain status ward will not be used if you have a buddy with the same ability and stick it with your main unit. That before unique character may never shine again.
    Lamia battle, before adventure like zaf/ellv was a must now probably will not be used.

4. Vintt

Vintt Active Member

I really enjoy the buddy system,
    The tactics and strategies are now more advanced and it was a step up towards their introduction to PvP which I have been waiting basically since launch. Having these buddies will sure make it more fun, it's not 100% completion I'm after more so just challenges and rewards, I think later on it seems there will be more reward system with rankings and what not and easier to get buddies but in then meantime it's best to get what you have ready for battle

5. Vigilant Stag

Vigilant Stag Active Member

Just feels like more grind material right now. Still waiting to see what impact they will have on vs.

I don't like how much grind is required for middling buddies. Heavy grind and unfavorable RNG. Yes, high tier abilities should require some effort. But not all 240+ buddies.

I hope that future content will not require highly specific character and otomo combinations but instead allow a spectrum of possibilities.

I'm hoping future content will change my mind....

Sean Bond likes this.
  6. Quartzel

Quartzel Well-Known Member

I stopped caring about the 100% ocd ever since I missed the Bone Killer from special Nico stream.
    Also, those 4 rng Otomos from ministop is near impossible to fulfill.

Anyway, Otomos are great and was needed for customization, but I feel they went and created so much trash Otomos just to bloat the Companion of Truth.

Soooo many useless Otomos.

7. Raijinili

Raijinili Well-Known Member

Medals:
    I like the extra customization option.

I hate how this game is becoming Puzzle and Dragons.

If I wanted to play Puzzle and Dragons, I would be playing Pokemon.

8. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    Technically you can 100% collect every Otomo currently, but due to the fact that a good number of them are randomly obtained, each with varying rarity, it can easily become a very expensive endeavor.

This really comes off as an exaggeration to me. There aren't many new strategies right now aside from adding X Otomo to increase Y stat. And for the most part, I think that mentality will probably follow through into VS Mode, unless status effects are actually threatening in VS Mode.

White Mage likes this.
  9. hobiron

hobiron Member

Pros
    • Allows weaker characters to become stronger
    • Will give diversity to pvp
    • Able to make sb farming easier
    Cons
    • Unbalanced otomos - some lower ranked otomos are stronger than their upgraded form.
    • The amount of items it takes to evolve an otomo.
    • The crazy exp required to level a high ranked otomo.
    I definitely feel like the cons outweigh the pros. Why is bewitching bow better than its upgraded form? Why is a levitate otomo a SS class? At best it should be an A class otomo.

I really hate how some otomos require 3 particles and 3 tears. Tin parade is okay with 2 TH, but god help those without a TH because they will be farming particles forever if they want to evolve otomos.

The exp for an ss otomo is insane, its about 2 million and currently the best metal otomo only gives you 50k exp... so you would need at least 40 metal otomo ^ to fully upgrade a ss class. I know they have another metal otomo that will give us 200k exp but havent releases it yet for some reason but the drop rate for that will probably be 5% or less.

Vigilant Stag likes this.
  10. Raijinili

Raijinili Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Levitation being locked up as an SS ability is stupid. By the time you start rolling energy for companions, what are the chances you're not gonna have a Levitation already? Low enough that this is almost useless for almost everyone. And Levitation is too important to lock up as a premium ability.

11. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    I don't see Otomo giving way to character diversity in VS Mode at all. Squads have room for a total of six characters only, and if you have multiple Lambdas, why would you use any other character over them? One of the great benefits of Otomo is that it allows any character to use status skills as long as you have the right Otomo. People without Zafitte or Ellvern can now just equip Frog Otomo to their characters or equip Wards to prevent Petrify and Death from messing up attempts. But people who have a huge variety of high tier characters are not going to simply not use them in favor of weaker characters just because of Otomo.

Vigilant Stag and Chev4 like this.
  12. Chev4

Chev4 Active Member

I for one like the idea of buddies, it might alienate a couple players, but atleast we won't be complaining about lack of content for awhile; personally I gave up on Otomo, coin requirement is too high :(

13. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member

Pros:
    -Help sBing (Awesone)
    -Good Otomo available from CoF (or upgrade from CoF) like Healing Rod, Skullsplitter, etc
    -Use for coins for people who have finished PoF.
    -Status effects/Wards available when you just can't get that specific character.
    Cons:
    -Over reliance on metal zones.
    -Very hard (almost impossible) to get 100%
    -Metal Minion Lambdas are too hard to get, and regular Metal Minions don't give enough XP
    -High cost of evolving (specifically particles)

I mostly like Otomo, and we are already seeing how key they can be (Jade Dragon route D). Not needing a dedicated healer can be pretty nice as well.

14. Terra-Em

Terra-Em Well-Known Member

They need to have a special event to allow non dupes for a 10 pull. It would allow whales to spend to complete it. They also need to change the upgrade requirements and significantly increase the gold pull rate to have any chance of this system becoming a means of people spending energy on otomos. I spent over 90 energy and got 3 gold -- 1 staff and 2 s shields (at double gold rate)... So yeah... I'm not very impressed with otomos at the moment.

15. Martym

Martym Active Member

I hate the fact that I'll never get most of the best buddies and I hate the fact that this update is just a money maker.
    I like the fact that buddies make grinding much easier.

Unless i'm SBing I don't even bother thinking about otomos

16. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Member

If leveling an SS Otomo were easy, why would it be an SS? The fact that they are truly rare and tough to upgrade makes it seem like they are true artifacts. With SBing, draining the PoF and other methods, you can work your way into the some tough to get SS characters, which in the end makes them less rare. Everyone sees the weekly challenges, the amount of SS mages out there is ridiculous, they arent rare. I got one SS Otomo during the special pull event and its awesome to have it, its my precious. If they are easy to get and you have 10 of them then you think meh, just another SS to level up.

Keep them rare, make it tough to level them up and then they will be a true advantage in PvP or tough chapter battles. When everyone has them and its easy to level them, then the game is vanilla and you are working hard just to keep up, you arent getting ahead. Right now, you grind and it pays off because you actually have something that others dont.

Of course I want all the rare buddies, but its crybaby to sit there and say I should have them and the game sucks because I dont. Be happy with what you get, have fun leveling it up and use it to crush on PvP someday.

17. MikeS

MikeS Active Member

The problem is that only 20% of SS/S buddies are good, 30% are kinda meh, and 50% are completely useless.
    I wonder what SS buddy you've got and what your sentiment would have been and how much fun you would have had leveling it if you had got a Kiss Bottle. ;)

18. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Member

I hear ya, but even a Kiss Bottle wouldnt be the worst buddy to have. Would save me from having to drag Yukken into a battle only for her Neg Pro skill. Which happens a lot and will happen even more as I try to recapture and SB level up Odin and Leviathan in the upcoming events.

19. MikeS

MikeS Active Member

Alas, you'll need to somehow drag 8 Kiss Bottles into battle to replace one Yukken.
    Kiss Bottle could have made a rather meh A/B-class buddy, but SS - it's just ridiculous.

20. yzyz

yzyz Member

Kiss bottle only give an negotiator with x1 bonus, it is better and even easier to get a char with neg pro which give you x8 bonus