Zael?

Discussion in 'Units & Items' started by KingKolz, Apr 24, 2015.

1. KingKolz

KingKolz Member

Hey guys,

So I jobbed up Zael and I'm not sure what to think about his skills.

Any thoughts or advice?

Attached Files:

2. White Mage

White Mage Well-Known Member

Medals:
    The skills Gathering and Rally are very specialized. Might be too specialized in my opinion.

3. ijii

ijii Active Member

I have Zael at 40/65/65. As with all S ranked characters, I'm more interested in their utility than their fighting prowess, which meant I was curious in his Gathering and Rally skill. Rally is one of those things that seems better on paper than practice. Rally seems to be a bit wonky, and having it equipped means that you cannot set up your team for next floor, because it will inconveniently move your squad around.

As far as his Gathering skill. Doesn't seem to add too much either other than some minor offense and defense bonus.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. KingKolz

KingKolz Member

Thanks for the vid! It answers most of my questions regarding Zael.
    That skill is so bizarre though /: more of a liability than anything. Oh well, I guess I'll just level him up and hope that he will one day come in handy.

5. ijii

ijii Active Member

I'm wondering if Zael and Calista will be required for future Last Story dungeons to 100% clear, or maybe their skills have on odd roll to play for future Terra Battle story part 2.

KingKolz likes this.
  6. Tharos

Tharos The Source Explorer

Medals:
    To keep a note on what they do exactly:

Gathering increase both DEF and MDEF on Zael by 10% for 2 turns

Rally increase both ATK and MATK by 10% for 2 turns (not sure if it is on all allies, or only on Zael)

7. Jirokichi

Jirokichi Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Tested Rally last night, it raises the ATK and MATK of the whole party. I'd say it's a pretty good buffing move, even if it moves his allies afterwards. I haven't unlocked Gathering yet.

8. Inagaki

Inagaki Active Member

Wow their skills are pretty cool o_o !

~°Mysery°~ likes this.
  9. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

I've noticed that rally will sometimes prevent your next attack from working right and one time it threw one of my characters completely off the screen for the rest of the match. I think it needs some tweaking honestly. I am also wishing that ability was not on his job 3 because I hate how it moves your characters.

duke_ism and KingKolz like this.
  10. KingKolz

KingKolz Member

I'm a little dissapointed with him. What about Calista? Is she worth building? Can someone maybe post her job 2 and 3

11. Umowoïs

Umowoïs Well-Known Member

Medals:
    KingKolz likes this.
  12. KingKolz

KingKolz Member

13. Quantumhearts

Quantumhearts New Member

rally
    pros - physical attack and magical attack increased by 10% for whole party
    cons - it moves your characters around closer to zael, reconfiguring your next pincer in the same phase. meaning after the move, if you have a 2nd pincer on that phase, it will use the position they are in After the rally shake. It will still activate all pincers even if the rally moved them out of pincer position, but the original chains you had will be replaced by the new positions.
    - On job 3 so even if you don't like how it moves your team around, your either stuck with it if you want his best stats or go to job 2 with lesser stats =(

Gathering
    only pros on this one. Gives Zael a 10% to both physical and magical defense.
    The description is a bit odd though. It says draw enemy attention while bostering your physical and magic defense. I would have thought perhaps it would work as some what of a taunt or maybe even pull your enemies towards you, but it doesn't seem to do that at all. just gives the def boosts.

My overall opinion is he's very meh. frequency 10% chain is nice but is moot if you have many 100% sb. vertical slice is rather unusual though as it hits targets column rather than zaels column. Its nice to get multiple columns sliced if you position horizontally but still doesnt activate in chain, only as main pincer unit. Plus it seems his attack seems low at 300 at lvl 70. I suppose if there is a use for physical only sword preferred units battle and I don't have enough for a good team like sheena, gugba, bahl, korin, kapori, etc. then I suppose he's the next best option =(

rating 7.5/10

14. Laura Lita

Laura Lita Just a Moderator Staff Member

Medals:
    A 7.5 out of 10 is very meh!!!?

15. stomach ache

stomach ache Active Member

i feel like calista is a very good unit because of her one skill?

16. Jirokichi

Medals:
    I think that for a sword team, you can use Sheena + Calista to take care of the healing (and a bit of utility/buffing with her shield) and not a dedicated healer. However, I haven't tried that yet, I'll probably try it when I train Calista.

KingKolz and stomach ache like this.
  17. stomach ache

stomach ache Active Member

you probably can... i might just get calista and use olber with her ... or ill just get my amisandra to z class. althought aminari > calista in healing... calista has that physical damage and magical damage barrier... which is probably one of the most OP skills?its like the last skill on her job 3.

Jirokichi likes this.
  18. Jirokichi

Medals:
    Yep, Calista is poor man's Amimari, more or less xD However, she also has buffing skills on Ancient Barrier and Def +10%, chain. But the Def +10% buff may be not worth it if you're using her in a sword team, as you already have Korin for buffing physical defense, which does that job much better (+50% Def to all swords). But her Ancient Barrier is nuts, it's a pretty good ultimate skill. I think she'll be more useful than Zael.

KingKolz and stomach ache like this.
  19. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Zael and Calista are made to work together. Zael is very tricky to use, but the payoff can be huge. If you have a map with a lot of spaced out mobs who are easy to kill, Zael with begun to pull the allies closer. This will move more units into the chains after the first. It does not remove any pincers formed at the start of the turn. Ideal, what happens is you get 3 pincers each a few units. By the end you get a pincer with all units near the spawn in the next map.

I really like Zael myself and he's great with Calista's area 1.

https://www.kamcord.com/v/LI1gat2BuV8
    some display of how to use it right and some of what it does.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  20. supergaijin

supergaijin Well-Known Member

speaking of Zael, how long you think it'll be before they fix the error in spelling? it's mega slash, not mage slash :hilarious:

(hint: he has giga and ter(r)a slash, so mega makes more sense than mage;))

~°Mysery°~ likes this.