Zael?

Discussion in 'Units & Items' started by KingKolz, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Zael is a 2 phase booster. Rally all is a phase after capsule. It is a skill boost that triggers after its use. I'm guessing gathering triggers the same way.

2. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member

Ok, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread, instead of making a new one. I have Zael at 70/71/70 and I've been trying to decide which job (2 or 3) to level to 90. Rally just seems like too much of a liability. I'd like to use Job three other than Rally, but right now I'm leaning towards job 2.
    Thoughts on Zael job 2 vs job 3, and thoughts on Rally?
    I'll try to see when Gathering triggers to see if PM is correct in it being a seperate phase in the next few days.

3. White Mage

White Mage Well-Known Member

Medals:
    I have Zael at Job 3 level 90, and the Gathering buff makes him an ok tank (he ain't no Olber tho). If you just don't feel like dealing with Rally, by all means, level his J2. It still has good stats and you can have all of his attacks too! :D
    Here's a recent screenshot I took of Zael (J3) after a double pincer on a boss.
    [​IMG]

Ashitaka and stomach ache like this.
  4. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member

Thanks for the thoughts, Arc. I'll run 20-1 on job 3 a few times, see how Rally treats me and see if I can use it. If it doesn't work very well, I'll go back to leveling job 2.

5. supergaijin

supergaijin Well-Known Member

Why not run zael with olber so rally isnt an issue? :troll:

6. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member

I don't have Olber... Also, how does Olber stop rally from repositioning people (rally is otherwise great)?

7. James

James Active Member

Thought I'd chime in given I don't see a mention from anyone else, but Gathering does alter enemy movement behaving as a taunt skill of sorts.

I noticed, while dragging him through 1-5 and 1-4 skill boosting my last A/B, that enemies no longer followed the consistent movement patterns I depended upon for lazy gameplay, and it turned out Gathering was the cause. Enemies would maneuver into positions close to Zael, sometimes failing to initate pincers.

I don't know if this was changed in a later update or if there's a practical application, or even how consistently it works. But yeah. It's a thing.

8. Person Man

Person Man Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Rally is a second phase not gather.

9. supergaijin

Olber is so you can tank the damage zael trolls when your pincers get screwed up and you "accidentally" hit a friend :p

10. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member

Makes sense since it doesnt move anything.
    Kem (or to a lesser degree Korin/Pahrl) comboed with Olber (or Zuzu, or Lunato or Lunaken) is really what you need. Double Pincer on The Stone Kid Trio is +100% defense. Add Kem+Olber+Lunaken+Olber^+Calista+Invincible to see how far past 100% it is possible to get on defense (+multiple evasive arts?). MAYBE that team would be enough to defend against Rally's glitch (I've never seen it).

For me, the real detriment to Rally is mispositioning for the next level. Once you get to know a board, Rally means you can no longer correctly set up for the next battle (especially boss battles). And then, I start to think about PvP possibilities. Job 2 is considerably more versatile. I think job 3 will be for more Niche situations. Anyone use Zael on Last Story? How did Rally work on the final boss there?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  11. supergaijin

olber works different. take kem into 31-10, then take olber into 31-10. kem can increase defense to a max of 200% total (stat buff maxed at 100% extra), so you will still take damage running through the brambles. with olber, reducing physical damage to 0% by eating 10 capsules allows you to run through the brambles while taking 0 dmg. kem is good for helping mitigate the rally bug attack, but since olber was already mentioned, and olber is better than kem I chose to run with it and say "take olber with zael" ;)

I saw a vid demonstrating this perfectly, but that was before this topic came up. it was showing olber vs odin ultra....

12. Koyuki

Koyuki Active Member

I like Rally when i have to save units from position when we can't move them because of enemy block.

but now with lvl 90 nobody needs to be saved -_______-

13. supergaijin

there's still artemis with the level cap. you can use rally to pull yourself into and out of danger anytime :p

Rima likes this.
  14. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member

If you could somehow choose if Rally moved the characters or not, this would actually be a perfect skill. Since you can't, it will continue to be super Niche.

15. nilnilx

nilnilx Member

Excuse me for being anal-retentive, but isn't Zael's Vertical Slice's area wrongly stated in the game? It's a pincer column that targets enemy units, instead of "1 column" as in centering on him. I searched this forum but didn't see it brought up, and only noticed it recently. Or am I missing something?!

16. White Mage

Medals:
    Yes, you are correct. Ideally, it should read "Pincer Column". Does this typo really matter? Not really.

17. Tharos

Tharos The Source Explorer

Medals:
    It's only a typo, as you stated, "1 Column" is used in the game for column skills centered on Zael.

The target hit by his skill is a full column centered on the target, and it have not been changed since Zael creation. The only other skills with the same range are Alika Z first skill and Amazora Z first skill. Both of them are called "Pincer Column".

But "Pincer Column" is also used for Z Mages/Dragons colums skills, and they hits more than only the target column. They should be "Pincer Area(1) + Column" to differenciate them from Zael/Zalika/Zamazora skills :)

supergaijin and White Mage like this.
  18. nilnilx

nilnilx Member

Ah, yes, I think it matters. In addition to misleading new players, such a typo is really incompatible with a cool, high-quality game like TB:cool:

19. White Mage

Medals:
    It's ok, players are already being misled anyways. They fact that such a translation error exists in the first place is enough to say how not high quality and cool it is. :troll:

20. Sean Bond

Sean Bond Well-Known Member

Now that you can toss a Celestial Envoy onto Zael, giving him +40 to all stats, what do people think is the best combination of skills for him? Do people prefer throwing on Gathering for extra tankiness, or giving him another (Mega) attack?